The case for "bouncy house" Dolby atmos enabled speakers

B

blue13x

Audiophyte
When I was in the market for a new home theater that had dolby atmos i considered in-ceiling speakers, add-on atmos modulesand built-in upward-firing add-on module.

In the end I settled on 5.1.2 system with dolby enabled speakers in the form of : 2x Kliosch RP-8060FA, RP-504c and 2x RP-502S + Nvidia Shield Pro + Marantz Receiver.

After reading many many forums, the recommendation was always: you need in-ceiling speakers and that upward firing "bouncy house" dolby-enabled speakers were the lesser option, that were bad and not effective.

Initially when I ran the Audessey setup I wasn't impressed. But after correctly setting the distance between the speaker and the ceiling and bumping up levels of the upward-firing modules, I was left shocked by how effective and precise the effect was.

A few things I noticed:

1. The sound could not be localized as coming from the speakers, it was clearly coming from above. I was so impressed that I dsiabled the surrounds to make sure of what I was listening.
2. The sound didnt only seem to come from above the front speakers, but somehow further back, above the listening position! In Mad Max Fury Road, when immortan joe fights the old lady with the shotgun and it shoots up, the initial shot sounds from above the LCR, and ripples backwards towards the listening position as "debree falls from the roof" above the listening position. The initial shot sounded more in front. I wasn't aware that dolby speakers had this much precision to sound above LCR, but also further back, above the listening position. This makes height speakers in the back less crucial to me based in what I am hearing.
3. In Alita battle angel (atmos version) I was impressed how the sound was creating the effect of convincingly dripping water from the entire ceiling and not just above the LCR. (Also above the main listening position)
4. With all the dolby atmos demos, the sound abive you was clearly moving backwards and forwards above you and NOT just above the front LCR, even in my 5.1.2 system.
5. My strangest observation was that when I put my ears near the upwards shooting speakers, they did not sound like they were doing alot, but sitting in at the main listening position, the sound coming from above is incredibly loud. This leads me to believe they are highly directional, especially with the foam surrounds.
6. Based on how directional the sound is, I have a feeling that add-on modules are simply not as effective.

Based on my experience you don't need in-roof speakers. If setup right, dolby enabled speakers are veryyyy very convincing.
Also, based on my listening experience, just two front dolby enabled speakers seem to be able to produce elevation effects not only above the LCR, but also towards the back, above the listening position. This makes imho a 5.1.4 systen less crucial. In short, you don't need in-ceiling speakers to have a convining atmos experience. You will need to bump up the level quite a lot in the receiver and it is crucial to measure the disgancd between the dolby enabled speakers and the ceiling.

Thoughts and questions are welcome.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice. Glad it’s working for you. Too many times it’s another story. You know, I bought all this stuff and it just doesn’t do anything lol. I disagree with the statement about .4, but I’m a little biased and wonder if you’ve heard an Atmos system with IC, or .4. Just curious for point of reference. FWIW, I’m fortunate enough to have 7.3.4 with IC tops. Still, glad to see some else get hooked!!!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
But after correctly setting the distance between the speaker and the ceiling and bumping up levels of the upward-firing modules, I was left shocked by how effective and precise the effect was.
And that's the key. Proper placement and setup. What does one do with vaulted ceilings or rooms that just can't be optimized using the bouncy house effect? In my opinion, in general, that still makes this true.
After reading many many forums, the recommendation was always: you need in-ceiling speakers and that upward firing "bouncy house" dolby-enabled speakers were the lesser option, that were bad and not effective.
You're one of the lucky ones with the right ceiling, right room and able to set up distances properly for the effect to work. Everything has to be just about perfect tho, and more often than not this isn't the case. That's why it's considered a lesser option and is ineffective for a lot of rooms and setups. In general it's still best to go in ceiling when possible.
Thoughts and questions are welcome.
Good on you for taking the time and effort to maximize your system and get the most out of it. It sounds like you got it to work great with your setup. Lots of caveats with it tho, and simply does not work in a lot of rooms. It wouldn't in mine.

B

blue13x

Audiophyte
Nice. Glad it’s working for you. Too many times it’s another story. You know, I bought all this stuff and it just doesn’t do anything lol. I disagree with the statement about .4, but I’m a little biased and wonder if you’ve heard an Atmos system with IC, or .4. Just curious for point of reference. FWIW, I’m fortunate enough to have 7.3.4 with IC tops. Still, glad to see some else get hooked!!!
I have not heard a .4, I'm sure it will be better. Might be something I do down the line in the form of heights. I was expecting the dolby enabled speakers to just cover the area above them, not all the way to the back. Pleasantly surprised.

B

blue13x

Audiophyte
And that's the key. Proper placement and setup. What does one do with vaulted ceilings or rooms that just can't be optimized using the bouncy house effect? In my opinion, in general, that still makes this true.

You're one of the lucky ones with the right ceiling, right room and able to set up distances properly for the effect to work. Everything has to be just about perfect tho, and more often than not this isn't the case. That's why it's considered a lesser option and is ineffective for a lot of rooms and setups. In general it's still best to go in ceiling when possible.

Good on you for taking the time and effort to maximize your system and get the most out of it. It sounds like you got it to work great with your setup. Lots of caveats with it tho, and simply does not work in a lot of rooms. It wouldn't in mine.
My room is far from perfect. For example it is a popcorn-style ceiling and it still works. I think it works in many cases, but people forget the bump the levels of the atmos speakers and enter the precis distance between speakers and ceiling.
All in all atmos is no gimmick, it does change listening experience dramatically.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My room is far from perfect. For example it is a popcorn-style ceiling and it still works. I think it works in many cases, but people forget the bump the levels of the atmos speakers and enter the precis distance between speakers and ceiling.
All in all atmos is no gimmick, it does change listening experience dramatically.
The texture of your ceiling had nothing to do with it, lol. It's all in setup and distance. How do you think it'd work with my vaulted ceilings in my huge great room?

I'm not saying, nor did I ever say, it "never works" because it can work. Just less than ideal. You need to have a relatively flat ceiling and the correct distances tho. Not everyone can do that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis