Def Tech BP9040 vs Triton 7 vs Magnepan LRS and .7

mykatherine

Enthusiast
I am in the market to buy new speakers up to $1500/pair which eliminates my ultimate choice of the Definitive D15. I am an audiophile currently running a Yamaha R-N602 integrated amp, however, my non-negotiables in hifi audio (music and home theater) are crystal clarity, high definition, and full dynamic range. The Definitive BP9040 gives me exactly that, along with some spaciousness. For music the sound is thin. However, nearly all speakers I have come across in this price range sound like "sound-in-a-box" where the bass gives punch but not high definition of the bass sound or clarity. I want to "HEAR" distinctive well-defined growl instead of "FEELING" muffled thump. These speakers sound this way because I have been spoiled by listening to the BP9040. This includes the Klipsch RP-8000f, SVS Prime Pinnacle, and all the way down the line. I come with two questions: 1. compared with the BP9040, how would you rate the Magnepan LRS, Magnepan .7, and the Triton 7 in terms of clarity, high definition, and dynamic range and not sounding like "sound-in-a-box"? 2. Are there other speakers up to $1500/pair you would recommend which also meet my criteria? I do love things that go "thump", but I will sacrifice thump for clarity, definition, and dynamic range.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A couple of the speakers you mention that sound like a box have reviewed well here, measured well and are recommended buys with no mention of sounding boxy, so I can only assume you listened to them improperly, or less than ideally set up. As I was reading your post I thought of mentioning the Prime Pinnacles until I saw you already looked into them. I've owned SVS speakers and never noticed a boxy sound.

Barring improper setup my only other guess is you're used to the powered bass sections of your current speakers and that's what's missing for you. To that I say... get a good sub or 2. Otherwise look at other speakers with powered bass sections like the Goldenear Tritons. I can tell you that Maggies are most definitely not known for their bass so I'd scratch them off the list right off

mykatherine

Enthusiast
@Pogre
Thanks for your reply. Flags had been raised in my head about the Maggies. The Tritons are sold through only a few sources here in the states making it difficult for me to drive there in 20 minutes to listen to them. With the BP9040s, to my ear, I can become lost as to where the sound is coming from, and often the sound seems live throughout my room. I try to focus my attention where the speakers are located, but often unable to hear the sound as coming from them. It produces very clear and crisp sounds with well-defined edges in all dynamic and frequency ranges, and without the Dolby modules. Two things are happening: 1) I believe I am trying to find the same sound experience in other lesser priced speakers, because 2) I only have $1500 to spend and I want the BP9040 experience in something cheaper that will allow me to spend the rest on a recliner I want. I want both. Now. Sound is a very personal experience for so many of us with many different tastes. The BPs will win and the recliner will wait. Thanks Pogre.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another point worth mentioning is your current speakers are also bipolar. Bipolar designs are different and do tend to sound more spacious, but at the cost of some precision to the central image that some might find distracting. This is where the subjective experience comes in. Clearly you prefer bipole stereo speakers over monopole so you should be looking at other bipole designs. Mirage comes to mind, but I'm not super familiar with their offerings or availability for audition.

There aren't really a whole lot of bipole stereo speakers out there, and good luck hearing them in a proper setup. I've been to very few places that have speakers set up to sound the way they should. Most retailers are maximizing floorspace, not proper setup. Bipole speakers need to have quite a bit of distance from the wall behind them to sound their best.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Back to the maggies... a pair of those with a decent subwoofer or 2 might be something you'd like quite a bit. I said scratch them off the list because of bass limitations but some good subwoofage can take care of that. You'd have front/rear radiating speakers still and powered bass. You might run into to some budget limitations tho... how much are the 2 models you mentioned in your first post?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For that matter, do you have any subwoofers now? If you don't, I think there's a really good opportunity for you to realize a nice sound quality upgrade. Those powered woofers in your 9040s could definitely use some help. I promise you their stated spec of 22 hz on the low end is not -3 dB. More likely -10, and a decent sub can fill that in nicely. It's not about having more loud boomy bass either. I'm talking clean, musical bass. The kind that takes a little heat off your speakers and lets them focus on the frequencies they handle best while the subs do the heavy lifting.

Set up properly a good sub can help perceptually clean up your sound from top to bottom. The way I have mine set up you can't even tell they're doing anything until you turn them off. Then everything seems to shrink a little and I lose some texture and weight. That's when it becomes noticeable. Even with music that doesn't have a lot of deep bass.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
"I want to "HEAR" distinctive well-defined growl instead of "FEELING" muffled thump."

If the only deficiencies you find lacking in your speakers is bass, a separate sub may be the way to go as suggested. If you are evaluating the other brands I can share my experience having owned many GE Speakers
  • Models owned Triton Ones, Aon 2/3 Triton 7 and the Superstat series)
  • The 7s serve as my surrounds currently, but I am changing out my setup.
  • They definitely do not get as low as their stated specs (at least at -3db) and for your needs I suggest a sub
  • If evaluating GoledenEar, I suggest moving up to the Triton 5st for a little more bass and performance. If you work with a solid dealer there are significant discounts that can bring the T5s into your price range or very close
That being said there are a significant numbers of speakers you can look at that price point, but none of the models mentioned will give you the well defined growl as much as adding a separate sub would.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Complete Side Note: SVS is doing a Facebook/Youtube launch tomorrow like they did for the their subs. A new product announcement with giveaways. They give away really good sh*t too ;)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Complete Side Note: SVS is doing a Facebook/Youtube launch tomorrow like they did for the their subs. A new product announcement with giveaways. They give away really good sh*t too ;)
They said product announcement that will dwarf any other announcement. Sounds very interesting? I'm very curious to know that this is?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
They said product announcement that will dwarf any other announcement. Sounds very interesting? I'm very curious to know that this is?

24” ultra sub. $8k. Lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My guess is maybe an 18 inch sub?

I was thinking along those lines too possibly. I kids think there’s a hint in the giveaway though. It’s a 2.1 package and they’ve given away some books and sealed sub iirc.
My actual guess is a new speaker line.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I was thinking along those lines too possibly. I kids think there’s a hint in the giveaway though. It’s a 2.1 package and they’ve given away some books and sealed sub iirc.
My actual guess is a new speaker line.
The little tease from SVS hinted that this new product "shook things off the walls" or something to that effect. On the other hand they already have the PB/SB 16 which is 2,000 and 2,400 bucks. How much higher can they go with pricing?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The little tease from SVS hinted that this new product "shook things off the walls" or something to that effect. On the other hand they already have the PB/SB 16 which is 2,000 and 2,400 bucks. How much higher can they go with pricing?

Huh. I missed that teaser! Guess I don’t know then. For pricing, I don’t know how far they really can go. They’re are more expensive subs out there but the 16’s don’t compete, and I think svs has too much overhead to chase likes of JTR, funk, Mariana etc. to make any margins on a competitive sub.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Huh. I missed that teaser! Guess I don’t know then. For pricing, I don’t know how far they really can go. They’re are more expensive subs out there but the 16’s don’t compete, and I think svs has too much overhead to chase likes of JTR, funk, Mariana etc. to make any margins on a competitive sub.
Guess we will find out tonight? Should be interesting.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't think we will see a sub significantly heavier or larger than the PB16-Ultra from SVS. The logistical costs and complexities really start to multiply at that point. It is difficult to pack them, ship them, and service them. Also think about how much more valuable that cargo space is for a dozen sealed 12" rather than one giant ported 15". Now think about how much easier it is to sell a sealed 12" rather than a giant ported 15". SVS is a mass production kind of company, but those huge monster subs are a niche market that are best left to businesses that can make a sub on demand, so smaller businesses.

On the other hand, I thought the same about Monoprice, but then they came out with that dual 15" behemoth...

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I don't think we will see a sub significantly heavier or larger than the PB16-Ultra from SVS. The logistical costs and complexities really start to multiply at that point. It is difficult to pack them, ship them, and service them. Also think about how much more valuable that cargo space is for a dozen sealed 12" rather than one giant ported 15". Now think about how much easier it is to sell a sealed 12" rather than a giant ported 15". SVS is a mass production kind of company, but those huge monster subs are a niche market that are best left to businesses that can make a sub on demand, so smaller businesses.

On the other hand, I thought the same about Monoprice, but then they came out with that dual 15" behemoth...
Turns out they went in the complete opposite direction. They announced the 3000 mico sub. It's an interesting concept. It will appeal to a lot of people with wives saying no to large subs that are ugly. This is small and very nice finish. I'm curious to hear it or see reviews of how it sounds.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Turns out they went in the complete opposite direction. They announced the 3000 mico sub. It's an interesting concept. It will appeal to a lot of people with wives saying no to large subs that are ugly. This is small and very nice finish. I'm curious to hear it or see reviews of how it sounds.

SVS has officially entered the lifestyle "sub"woofer market.

Screenshot_2021-03-18-17-27-31-1_copy_1023x573.png

Impressive for such a small box, but not really even a true sub. For only $100 more your new PB2000 will wipe the floor with it. Actually, you probably got yours from the outlet, huh?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis