Cerwin Vega D9 Woofer Replacements?

S

SenseiDean

Audiophyte
Ok, I have a pair of D9s gathering dust in my garage. Wishing there was a 15" replacement that had that iconic red ring but was not prone to rot. Like made of rubber. Loved the sound back in the day. Still have my amp but display is gone. My Yamaha RXV1050 .so it just sits. Using Pioneer VSX452 sometimes with some Bose speakers. However most of my listening is with earbuds. WHOOPS, A little off topic. Is it worth to fis my CV 15 inch woofers? Replace them or swap ror sub woofers? I really loved those speakers, cant seem to part with them.So what is the answer?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can replace the rotted surrounds most likely, or perhaps even the driver....have you looked for repair services or replacement drivers from CV?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Re-foam them and enjoy for another 15 years. You won’t find a perfect match for that cabinet volume and crossover. The foam surround also allowed for higher output.

Replacing a woofer with a subwoofer is the worst thing you can do. Subwoofers trade off sensitivity for bass extension. CV’s are very efficient speakers so you’ll have a horrible SPL mismatch between the mid/tweeter and the bass.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Re-foam them and enjoy for another 15 years. You won’t find a perfect match for that cabinet volume and crossover. The foam surround also allowed for higher output.

Replacing a woofer with a subwoofer is the worst thing you can do. Subwoofers trade off sensitivity for bass extension. CV’s are very efficient speakers so you’ll have a horrible SPL mismatch between the mid/tweeter and the bass.
Many unfortunately equate the woofer in a speaker like this with a "subwoofer". Just ain't a sub.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis