O

okay.see

Audioholic Intern
I just put a modded phono preamp in my system. The company says to give it 50-100 hours to burn in and see how it sounds then. That's a lot of record playing! I thought I could just connect my AM/FM tuner to it with an attenuator in between to lower the line voltage to equal somewhere in the phono mV range. Then I could let that run for a few days and get that burn in happening a lot faster. Would this work and is it safe? Lowering the level on a line out should be the same as a low level phono out, no? The phono pre-amp can't tell what's providing the signal. It should only care about how high the voltage is, no?

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I just put a modded phono preamp in my system. The company says to give it 50-100 hours to burn in and see how it sounds then. That's a lot of record playing! I thought I could just connect my AM/FM tuner to it with an attenuator in between to lower the line voltage to equal somewhere in the phono mV range. Then I could let that run for a few days and get that burn in happening a lot faster. Would this work and is it safe? Lowering the level on a line out should be the same as a low level phono out, no? The phono pre-amp can't tell what's providing the signal. It should only care about how high the voltage is, no?
Sounds like you know more than the manufacturer of your phono preamplifier. Did your laptop work better after burn in?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just use it, it's not going to magically transform. You're more likely the one who is going to adjust to its sound. Burn-in is generally a load of crap.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
A phono preamp adds equalization that a tuner doesn't need, so you won' hear normal frequency response if you do what you have proposed. You can do it, but don't crank the volume up.

As posted, this idea that a phono preamp needs to burn in is BS and if you contact the company, they'll tell you that it's absolutely necessary but the problem with that is:

Our memory for specifics about the sound isn't good enough to definitively say how or why it sounded different at 0 and 50 hours. People can think they can describe the differences, but they can't unless a component fails or the design has flaws.

What is the brand of the preamp and who modded it?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just use it, it's not going to magically transform. You're more likely the one who is going to adjust to its sound. Burn-in is generally a load of crap.
yes, the mid-range and highs will sound more 'syrupy' if you listen at a reasonable volume during a full moon for 6 weeks after connecting the (insert device here).

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Salesmen are still selling this bullshit, huh? [shakes head]

Anytime you change equipment/speakers, the SQ (sound quality) is naturally going to change. What they're subliminally doing is prepping your 'ears' to acclimate to the 'new' sound and then you think you can hear an improvement, when in reality it has nothing to do with 'burning in' the equipment/speakers whatsoever.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They just want you to burn your ears in. 100 hours, huh? I wonder if that coincidentally pushes you outside any return/refund window...

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
While there a few components that might require a few minutes of warm-up.
Modern electronic hi-fi equipment does not burn-in.
End of story.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
While there a few components that might require a few minutes of warm-up.
Modern electronic hi-fi equipment does not burn-in.
End of story.
Some have a temperature range where they perform best, but not in the sense of breaking in a new pair of shoes or a baseball glove. Tubes and some transistor applications are in this group.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
For the magic transform you need to sprinkle some pixie dust every 42 minute, unless you get pixie dust pro that only needs to be sprinkled every hour.

O

okay.see

Audioholic Intern
They just want you to burn your ears in. 100 hours, huh? I wonder if that coincidentally pushes you outside any return/refund window...
Nah. It's a 2 year warranty! Pretty good company. I've seen some of their other modded gear for sale.

O

okay.see

Audioholic Intern
A phono preamp adds equalization that a tuner doesn't need, so you won' hear normal frequency response if you do what you have proposed. You can do it, but don't crank the volume up.

As posted, this idea that a phono preamp needs to burn in is BS and if you contact the company, they'll tell you that it's absolutely necessary but the problem with that is:

Our memory for specifics about the sound isn't good enough to definitively say how or why it sounded different at 0 and 50 hours. People can think they can describe the differences, but they can't unless a component fails or the design has flaws.

Rotel and audiotuning4u. They're a fairly new company it seems. I took a chance as the mod included: IEC receptacle, internal EMI filter before the transformer, upgraded caps, upgraded opamps, new gold plated RCA connectors, other upgrades I don't know about. was a very decent job and it was the only Rotel preamp I could find with a service warranty! Unfortunately Rotel doesn't make phono preamps anymore and I was interested in experimenting.

O

okay.see

Audioholic Intern
Sounds like you know more than the manufacturer of your phono preamplifier. Did your laptop work better after burn in?
wah wah waaaaaaaaaah. booking those comedy gigs must be hard during covid. is your forum stand-up routine working out better?

O

okay.see

Audioholic Intern

You added to my learning. I appreciate that!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis