Sonos Vs Amazon for music everywhere

J

J. Spencer

Audiophyte
So, I'm looking for a little advice. I currently have a few echo speakers, an echo studio, and a polk command bar I like to tie together using Alexa Music Everywhere, or Spotify Connect. I'm considering either upgrading all of my echos to studios, or swapping the whole system over to sonos. Comparing the audio from the studio and the play 1 i have mixed feelings. I like about the same amount of songs on either device. I'm tempted to just stick to the amazon speakers, but I'm concerned that since the only sound bar that is compatible is the Command Bar when it gets out dated I won't be able to tie another sound bar into my system. What are ya'lls thoughts on sticking with the Command Bar & 4 studios, or the Sonos Arc and 4 Sono Ones.

Also I'm in an apartment so does anyone with experience with the Arc have an opinion on if I need the subwoofer or not? I'm used to having one with the command bar, but I don't play it particularly high since my neighbors share walls.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
You’re really on the wrong forum. If you take any advice from us it’ll cost you a lot of money and you’ll never listen to a “smart” speaker again. Go away while you still have a chance!
:p

J

J. Spencer

Audiophyte
You’re really on the wrong forum. If you take any advice from us it’ll cost you a lot of money and you’ll never listen to a “smart” speaker again. Go away while you still have a chance!
:p
Too late for that lol. Once I realized I had about $4k in my car audio, and $800 in my home audio I don't have much choice but to correct that. lol

J

J. Spencer

Audiophyte
With that said, I'm open to other options. HOWEVER, it must be wireless, provide multiroom streaming, have a sound bar option, & tie together 4 rooms for about 2-3k (The sound bar would cover 1 room).

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
First remember that the hardware platform (sound bar, smart speakers) should not dictate what music service you use. With a few exceptions (eg Apple music is not available on all hardware platforms) most services are available on most hardware.

Second it is not clear what you are trying to achieve. It appears you already have a whole house wireless audio system and a sound bar that integrates with it, right?

What is the problem with that system?

If you can define that, I suspect folks can advise you. For convenience, the SONOS system is very good. For your budget, you could afford to add their overprices bass module (they call it a sub but it is not a sub, it's just a woofer) to an ARC and have a few Sonos 1s around the house, and it would be super slick.

But I'm not sure if it is a two thousand dollar better than what you already have.

J

J. Spencer

Audiophyte
First remember that the hardware platform (sound bar, smart speakers) should not dictate what music service you use. With a few exceptions (eg Apple music is not available on all hardware platforms) most services are available on most hardware.

Second it is not clear what you are trying to achieve. It appears you already have a whole house wireless audio system and a sound bar that integrates with it, right?

What is the problem with that system?

If you can define that, I suspect folks can advise you. For convenience, the SONOS system is very good. For your budget, you could afford to add their overprices bass module (they call it a sub but it is not a sub, it's just a woofer) to an ARC and have a few Sonos 1s around the house, and it would be super slick.

But I'm not sure if it is a two thousand dollar better than what you already have.
Good question, sorry I wasn't clear.
I was just upgrade from just the echos, they are ok but what can I say, upgrading is an addiction lol. I was going to upgrade all my echos to Echo Studios, however I'm concerned that when my Polk Command Bar (the only sound bar with alexa that works with amazon music everywhere, their multi room audio solution) stops being available there are no other sound bars that are compatible so now I won't be able to tie in the best sounding part of the system. So my thought is maybe instead of buying all the Echo Studios as an upgrade I should cut my losses and swap to Sonos (or something else) that has more compatible options.

I considered the sonos sub, but I also worry that may be too much for my neighbors. I live and work at my apartments, so I don't feel like dealing with the noise complaints. I use the subwoofer that comes with my command bar, but I would assume for 700 the sonos one may be more aggressive and I wonder if it's too much.

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
The Sonos sub is really just a bass module not an deep rumbling loud sub, imo. I wouldn't worry about it and in most countries Sonos has a good return policy if you find it is too much. So look into that before buying, as a safety measure.

I wouldn't worry about the current sound bar being the only one that is compatible with Amazon music. I mean, you have a sound bar that works now with what you need. Maybe it dies in five years and what you want is a different music service altogether that doesn't even exist today. Etc.

That said, the Echo Studio is also expensive so I can understand: If you invest in those, you will be locked in for a while.

I would worry about the Echo Studio not being supported with new platforms in the future. I suspect Sonos will have a longer life from a support perspective and more choices for expanding in the future, and it is the CORE of what Sonos does and not just a pet project like Amazon's system.

Let me put it another way: Amazon could kill the Echo tomorrow and still be one of the largest most profitable companies on earth. Sonos could kill their product tomorrow, and go out of business. Who has more vested interest in keeping you happy, supporting your sound system, etc?

Personally, I like Sonos better in the sense that it is mostly a neutral player. Well, yes they have a little bias but their selling point is that they work with all the streaming services and I don't see that going away. I suspect Amazon is more trying to push you to be locked in to ONE music service?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis