Dutch & Dutch 8c Bookshelf Speaker Review. Is this the last speaker you’ll ever need?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Good review, @ErinH .
I don’t know about last speaker I’ll ever need, but at that ticket, they would definitely be the last speakers I ever buy: the Lady would beat me to death with one of them!:eek::eek::(

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Last bedroom speakers or can they handle a large space with significant spl? :) Just read a comment from someone who put together some Linkwitz (521?) speakers and said specifically favored those more than the 8C but apprently put the 8C way up there in any case. At that price not particularly interested in a bookshelf speaker, tho.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I posted the written review on my site. This is more of an overview and data dump. You can find that here:

Alternatively, I made a video discussing the subjective and objective performance:
Nice review. That speaker is the going to be the new trend. It is those sort of designs I have been advocating for several years. It may be a bookshelf speaker, but it is truly a full range speaker. I would image and HT room set up with those speakers all round would be really impressive. Those speakers I'm sure will provide impressive clarity and superior speech intelligibility. They have a good enough bass performance that subs can be ditched, and everybody can enjoy coherent sound without separating fundamentals and harmonics all over the room. That approach is not high fidelity, but chaos.

This will lead the way in making receivers history. To drive those well would require a minimalist pre/pro, or may be not even that. It seems a new generation of TVs could easily be configured to drive a set of speakers like that perfectly well. All members really need to take note of these trends. Guys, your gear will be obsolete and virtual museum pieces in a few years.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Nice review. That speaker is the going to be the new trend. It is those sort of designs I have been advocating for several years. It may be a bookshelf speaker, but it is truly a full range speaker. I would image and HT room set up with those speakers all round would be really impressive. Those speakers I'm sure will provide impressive clarity and superior speech intelligibility. They have a good enough bass performance that subs can be ditched, and everybody can enjoy coherent sound without separating fundamentals and harmonics all over the room. That approach is not high fidelity, but chaos.

This will lead the way in making receivers history. To drive those well would require a minimalist pre/pro, or may be not even that. It seems a new generation of TVs could easily be configured to drive a set of speakers like that perfectly well. All members really need to take note of these trends. Guys, your gear will be obsolete and virtual museum pieces in a few years.
Mark, people have been saying that the standard model of home audio electronics is going to change in this respect for years. I think you are seriously underestimating the intransigence of the hi-fi audio industry. This isn't exactly a risk-taking group on the whole. I wish it would change in favor of the model that you describe, but I don't see any big shifts in that direction.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Mark, people have been saying that the standard model of home audio electronics is going to change in this respect for years. I think you are seriously underestimating the intransigence of the hi-fi audio industry. This isn't exactly a risk-taking group on the whole. I wish it would change in favor of the model that you describe, but I don't see any big shifts in that direction.
There's people who think a $12k pair of speakers is the future... and there's the 90+% of the population with budgets of a thousand bucks or less for their HT system.

"Make perfect sound" is the goal for those who can afford such a pursuit. For the rest, it's "Make sound."

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There's people who think a $12k pair of speakers is the future... and there's the 90+% of the population with budgets of a thousand bucks or less for their HT system.

"Make perfect sound" is the goal for those who can afford such a pursuit. For the rest, it's "Make sound."
I think what TLSguy meant was that powered speakers with sophisticated digital signal processing are the future in the place of AVRs and passive speakers. I'm sure he didn't mean $12k speakers. I agree with him that those with smaller budget are better served by active speakers. Kali, PreSonus, and JBL Pro all have outstanding speaker pairs in the $500 range.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

It may be 12 K now, but good designs will come at much lower price points.

The current state of affairs is unacceptable and leads to massive customer resistance.

What is available now is crazy. It is limiting as most rooms are not suitable for surround sound, and aesthetics are a massive barrier.

Take our closest friends here. They have a lovely art deco home furnished to the period. They would love to have a nice sound system to play their TV through. There is nothing that really fits the bill now. Having to place a receiver with seven or 11 amps in there on the grounds of economies of scale is just insane. The room is suitable for two elegant speakers of reasonable size. So those speakers would fit the bill, and I think could be controlled from their TV and nothing else.

Right now, their only option is a Sound Bar, since their TV is unintelligible. What is on offer now just does not cut it.

There are products now, that I think building a good active speaker with DSP is getting in range, if not already in range of the home constructor.

You should be able to put together a good AV system and just two speakers and no sub.

Good speakers do not need a center channel. In my family room system it would not be in anyway improved with a center channel speaker.

My wife can not tell the difference if I switch my in wall system from 2 to 3 channel and back. I am agreeing with BBC engineering more and more, that a center channel is not necessary and in the vast majority of systems is a detriment. I can tell you for certain that good speakers do not really require a center speaker.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis