SVS PB1000 Pro - Upgrade from PB 2000?

B

bigsteff

Audiophyte
I purchased a PB 2000 back during the holiday season and I'm disappointed with my inability to tune the sub to compliment my Klipsch Chorus I's. My 2 channel setup consists of separates with no DSP tuning. The PB 2000 has the requisite phase, crossover, and volume controls on the back which requires moving the sub around and adjusting the controls (on back of the sub) for tuning. At the time the 2000 Pro was announced it was outside my budget. So I bought the outgoing model. Now that the 1000 pro comes with all the goodies; particularly the DSP app and a 12inch driver for the same price I paid for the 2k, I'm thinking of trading (up) to the 1k Pro. The 1k Pro has less power but everything else says it's an upgrade. The SVS folks have already said they would take back the 2k if I wanted to move forward. What do you think? I welcome your comments on this issue. Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The PB-1000 Pro certainly won't have as much deep bass s the PB-2000, however, if you are looking for something with more fine-tuning configurability, it certainly has that.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I wouldn’t consider it an upgrade personally. Why not a 2k pro?

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Great idea to cross trade if you need that DSP and app.

You could of course add a basic minidsp to your existing setup for 99 bucks, so I’d only consider the pb1000 if it was zero cost.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Great idea to cross trade if you need that DSP and app.

You could of course add a basic minidsp to your existing setup for 99 bucks, so I’d only consider the pb1000 if it was zero cost.
Yup. I'd just get a MiniDSP 2x4 HD and a UMIK mic. I think a PB1000P would be a step down.

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
I guess it depends on the users budget. If they need to get a MiniDSP 2x4 HD and a UMIK mic thats what, a $300 investment? At that point, stepping up to a 2000PRO may make sense, instead....though I guess they should still pony up the 100 bucks for the UMIK, so it's a 200 dollar delta.....so maybe the question is "buy a MiniDSP 2x4 HD and a UMIK mic for $300 and dial in the existing PB2000" or "upgrade to a PB2000 pro and buy the UMIK for $400" or "swap the PB2000 non pro for a PB1000 pro, and spend $100 on the UMIK, so one knows what to dial in on the PEQ on the PB1000 pro".

In other words, there needs to be a UMIK1 in the mix, to do anything with any combination, so SOME investment is inevitable.

---

The other factor might be that adding a second sub in the future MIGHT be tough with the PB2000 (non pro) since those are out of production?

B

bigsteff

Audiophyte
My question is, how does the PB1000 Pro compare to the PB2000(non-Pro)?

K

Kevi9590

Enthusiast
While i dont have hands on experience with either, I spend most of my days looking up the different between the SVS lines, and PB vs SB within those lines or PB vs the SB of one line higher.

The end result is pretty consistent and universal to all svs products. The PB always has more to low end output than SB from the same line unless you have money to get multiple SBs, but SBs are cheaper at the higher lines. PB vs SB of higher line usually goes in favor of lower line PB. And line to line difference is consistently noticeable even with PRO model, except 3000 to 4000.

People argue that the PB 3000 measures better than 4000 in some areas according to what I read here and there. That said, some say the PB 4000 puts in less work to put the same amount of bass out, anecdotally and is the better product money aside.

SVS seems to make an upgrade to the next series enough of a vertical upgrade to make it worth it. They seem very careful with making sure that each product builds up to the next without overlapping.

All of this is anecdotal and unscientific. But people seem pleased to upgrade within the SVS brand at all levels. The 3000 is considered special among all the models. Perhaps it is the sweet spot between budget and performance. If I was strapped for cash id save up for this bad boy as the end game sub.

Personally, I whipped my credit card on the table and got the PB-16. My wife wants a second one, which of course I want as well. This subwoofer taught me a lot about value in audio equipment. Ive never regretted spending 2.5K on this sub, and neither has my wife. And to put that into perspective, our next most expensive purchase was the entry level klipsch towers for 300 several years ago. So it felt wrong to spend that much... until it showed up. We knew it was worth the price before we even unboxed that bad boy lol.

TLDR: go up in model numbers as far as you can afford; dont cut price corners by going SB even across lines unless you can afford several, if tactile bass is what youre after, though SBs are not considered weak sauce either. PROs seem to always be noticeable upgrades, albeit not as good as the next line up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis