S

sbli

Enthusiast
Hi all. New to the forum. Love the videos from Gene et al and this brought me here.

Was hoping to get some feedback on a new setup I'm going to be getting. I have a 12x12 shed that I'm retrofitting into a home office and home theater setup. Rockwool insulation and 5/8 drywall, so I'm trying to do things right.

As for equipment I have my eyes on a few speakers and subwoofers. I am mostly 2 channel but I definitely enjoy blasting a movie and getting some earthquake bass from time to time. I have a budget of about 4000 for the subs (I want duals) and front speakers. I'll fill the remaining speakers in later.

I have my eyes on Klipsch 8000f, SVS pinnacle and NHT C4. For subs, I'm considering the SVS PC 2000 and Rhythmic F12.

With the Klipsch I'm mindful that I could get the 5000f or 6000f to save some space, since my room isn't that large, and I'll have dual subs for the bass response. But I also don't want to be missing out if the 8000s are better.

Anyway, would appreciate any feedback- even alternative suggestions if I should be looking elsewhere.

Thanks!

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
Whatever you pick my advice is spend more money on the speakers vs subs. Subs are cool and all but don't fall in love with them or the idea of NEEDING duals. Personally I would rather spend $4K on speakers than $2K on speakers and $2K on subs but that's me.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Out of those speaker options I'd choose SVS>NHT>Klipsch. Honestly, if it is just you listening and watching in that space, I think just one PC2000 would be just fine.

S

sbli

Enthusiast
Out of those speaker options I'd choose SVS>NHT>Klipsch. Honestly, if it is just you listening and watching in that space, I think just one PC2000 would be just fine.
Do you have listening experience with these speakers? I'm curious how you arrived at your relative ratings.

S

sbli

Enthusiast
Whatever you pick my advice is spend more money on the speakers vs subs. Subs are cool and all but don't fall in love with them or the idea of NEEDING duals. Personally I would rather spend $4K on speakers than $2K on speakers and $2K on subs but that's me.
I can see the logic in that. What speakers would you recommend in the 3k-4k price range if I were to forego the subs for now?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want earthquake-type bass, you will want ported subs. Do not get a sealed subwoofer, especially a sealed 12".

As for speakers, I would skip towers and get bookshelf speakers since you will already have subs. In your price range, I would be looking at the Monolith THX speakers or maybe the Hsu CCB-8s. I think the SVS Ultra bookshelf would be good too.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Do you have listening experience with these speakers? I'm curious how you arrived at your relative ratings.
When I went auditioning speakers the Klipsch were easily my least favorite of the bunch that I listened to. I've not experienced that NHT model, but the Superzeros I use for surrounds are very neutral. SVS makes good quality products and the pinnacles are quite good.

S

sbli

Enthusiast
If you want earthquake-type bass, you will want ported subs. Do not get a sealed subwoofer, especially a sealed 12".

As for speakers, I would skip towers and get bookshelf speakers since you will already have subs. In your price range, I would be looking at the Monolith THX speakers or maybe the Hsu CCB-8s. I think the SVS Ultra bookshelf would be good too.
It's interesting you bring up the Ultra bookshelves. I was very seriously considering those as the bookshelves would be easy to integrate into my space and I would be adding the subs to handle 80hz and below.

You think the ultras with subs would be good for both 2 channel channel and HT?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yes, the Ultras should be fine with 2 channel and home theater.

S

sbli

Enthusiast
Was very intrugued by the monolith options but I'm concerned over faulty amps and customer service issues. I was one of the unfortunate victims of the AV123 MFW-15 debacle and ended up with two junk subs. So I'm sticking with companies with a long track record and excellent customer service.

I just ordered dual HSU ULS 15s. Seems like great reviews and very musical. The value is excellent too. I'm getting the duals shipped with the extended warranty for the price dual Rhythmik F12s (also very seriously considered) would be with local pickup.

Now for the speakers...

S

sbli

Enthusiast
Shadyj you talked me out of ordering the Klipsch 8000f so I opted to give the Revel Concerta2 F35s a try. Crutchfield has a really good deal on them in gloss white. From reviews, it seems like they will be great for music (and HT) and even though they don't dig super deep, I'll have the dual Hsu subs to hold down the bottom end.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Was very intrugued by the monolith options but I'm concerned over faulty amps and customer service issues. I was one of the unfortunate victims of the AV123 MFW-15 debacle and ended up with two junk subs. So I'm sticking with companies with a long track record and excellent customer service.

I just ordered dual HSU ULS 15s. Seems like great reviews and very musical. The value is excellent too. I'm getting the duals shipped with the extended warranty for the price dual Rhythmik F12s (also very seriously considered) would be with local pickup.

Now for the speakers...
What was the AV123 MFW-15 debacle? (not just that Schifty was involved ;) ).

S

sbli

Enthusiast
What was the AV123 MFW-15 debacle? (not just that Schifty was involved ;) ).
That was pretty much it. I lost some money on the fake charity raffle tickets. Also, I bought into the internet performance hype over the sub and ordered two. They were fantastic when they worked but both amps died (actually 3 amps because they did send one replacement which ended up being a dud as well).

I would have been better off getting a SVS like my friends did- or an Epik like I had originally planned.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That was pretty much it. I lost some money on the fake charity raffle tickets. Also, I bought into the internet performance hype over the sub and ordered two. They were fantastic when they worked but both amps died (actually 3 amps because they did send one replacement which ended up being a dud as well).

I would have been better off getting a SVS like my friends did- or an Epik like I had originally planned.
Thanks. Still, the box/driver was pretty good on those from what I remember reading, did you try just using other amps? Didn't Seaton later resurrect it with new old stock? Or am I thinking of something else?

Bad amps killed Epik, tho....altho my Empire is still working on its warrantied replacement amp now for the last 9 years this month IIRC...and believe SVS also had some amp issues....

S

sbli

Enthusiast
Thanks. Still, the box/driver was pretty good on those from what I remember reading, did you try just using other amps? Didn't Seaton later resurrect it with new old stock? Or am I thinking of something else?
Seaton did create a new amp. As I recall, it was supposed to be a big improvement over the original, but it didn't fit in the old cabinet so any miniscule WAF the duals previously had would be completely gone with the upgrade. Also, it wasn't cheap. None of this was Seaton's fault - don't think I'm bashing him. It was just a crappy situation overall of Shifter's doing.

Anyway, I was so put off I got rid of my HT setup. I'm only coming back to it now - 15 years later.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seaton did create a new amp. As I recall, it was supposed to be a big improvement over the original, but it didn't fit in the old cabinet so any miniscule WAF the duals previously had would be completely gone with the upgrade. Also, it wasn't cheap. None of this was Seaton's fault - don't think I'm bashing him. It was just a crappy situation overall of Shifter's doing.

Anyway, I was so put off I got rid of my HT setup. I'm only coming back to it now - 15 years later.
I think Schifter might have screwed Mark, too and I didn't think you were implying that Mark had done something wrong. I was thinking more of using a rack amp and still using those subs....rather than trying to fit another plate amp.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's interesting you bring up the Ultra bookshelves. I was very seriously considering those as the bookshelves would be easy to integrate into my space and I would be adding the subs to handle 80hz and below.

You think the ultras with subs would be good for both 2 channel channel and HT?
I had them. With subs you're really not missing anything and they're quite striking in piano gloss black. I haven't heard the Pinnacle towers yet but I think the Ultra bookshelf is the star of the show. Very clean and accurate. They can handle some power too. I've never bottomed them out, even full range. Check their outlet for a deal. I picked mine up for $399 apiece.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Shadyj you talked me out of ordering the Klipsch 8000f so I opted to give the Revel Concerta2 F35s a try. Crutchfield has a really good deal on them in gloss white. From reviews, it seems like they will be great for music (and HT) and even though they don't dig super deep, I'll have the dual Hsu subs to hold down the bottom end.
Revel make great speakers too. I don't think you'll be disappointed in those either.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis