Was working fine and then nothing

K

Kingstonkid

Audiophyte
Hello everyone I have been building a nice stereo system since this covid b.s came around and have went through a couple of receivers and the last one I got was a yamaha htr 6090 but not the big one it's the 1 with 500 watts an I hooked up cerwin vega avs sub8 and to the sub I hooked my cerwin vega v 10-f towers an to the receiver I hooked up cerwin vega center speaker e-75c and 4 mts tower speakers and had no problems rocking the walls in this hotel room im living in hahaha but yesterday morning I woke up an decided I was gonna listen to my cds I bought at salvation army so hooked up my Sony DVD player and it was working great then a good song came on (fat bottom girls lol) so I turned it up and half way through it my receiver shut off so I felt it an it was warm so I left it off about 2 or 3 hours later I tried to turn it on an it had some flickering inside the receiver so was kinda freaked out because that's how my denon avr 988 was acting up so took the top case off an noticed that there was an inch of dust so went bought compressed air in a can an cleaned it out dust is gone so hooked it all up again put cover back on an still won't turn on an there's still a flickering when I try to power it up so it's got me scared to try it again as I've probably got 1500 in used but good receiver's piled up that need repairs now an its getting pretty expensive an I haven't even hooked up all of my speakers yet still have some Bose bookshelf and couple more towers but was just taking it 1 pair at a time so I didn't damage my new (used) receiver any suggestions as to why my receiver is doing this?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hello everyone I have been building a nice stereo system since this covid b.s came around and have went through a couple of receivers and the last one I got was a yamaha htr 6090 but not the big one it's the 1 with 500 watts an I hooked up cerwin vega avs sub8 and to the sub I hooked my cerwin vega v 10-f towers an to the receiver I hooked up cerwin vega center speaker e-75c and 4 mts tower speakers and had no problems rocking the walls in this hotel room im living in hahaha but yesterday morning I woke up an decided I was gonna listen to my cds I bought at salvation army so hooked up my Sony DVD player and it was working great then a good song came on (fat bottom girls lol) so I turned it up and half way through it my receiver shut off so I felt it an it was warm so I left it off about 2 or 3 hours later I tried to turn it on an it had some flickering inside the receiver so was kinda freaked out because that's how my denon avr 988 was acting up so took the top case off an noticed that there was an inch of dust so went bought compressed air in a can an cleaned it out dust is gone so hooked it all up again put cover back on an still won't turn on an there's still a flickering when I try to power it up so it's got me scared to try it again as I've probably got 1500 in used but good receiver's piled up that need repairs now an its getting pretty expensive an I haven't even hooked up all of my speakers yet still have some Bose bookshelf and couple more towers but was just taking it 1 pair at a time so I didn't damage my new (used) receiver any suggestions as to why my receiver is doing this?
Sound like all the gunk in the AVR caused a short that could have killed some of the finer electronics in the unit. Sorry to tell you this, but my guess is that unit is bricked.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
No idea, but if it is sparking inside the case, it is very serious. You might try a reset, but watch it carefully. I suspect that unit is done for.

K

Kingstonkid

Audiophyte
No idea, but if it is sparking inside the case, it is very serious. You might try a reset, but watch it carefully. I suspect that unit is done for.
Appreciate the advice I just bought it second hand not even a week ago I have about 4 or 5 piled up here an I think there toast to (boat anchors) thank you for your response

K

Kingstonkid

Audiophyte
B
Sound like all the gunk in the AVR caused a short that could have killed some of the finer electronics in the unit. Sorry to tell you this, but my guess is that unit is bricked.
Bricked meaning that it's just another boat anchor to add to the collection of them ive been piling up ?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Appreciate the advice I just bought it second hand not even a week ago I have about 4 or 5 piled up here an I think there toast to (boat anchors) thank you for your response
I suspect you are blowing these units up, either by playing them too loud (rocking the walls!), not enough ventilation, or an error in the speaker wiring. I have a strong suspicion of abuse. Receivers I suspect are actually pretty fragile and have zero tolerance of abuse.

K

Kingstonkid

Audiophyte
I suspect you are blowing these units up, either by playing them too loud (rocking the walls!), not enough ventilation, or an error in the speaker wiring. I have a strong suspicion of abuse. Receivers I suspect are actually pretty fragile and have zero tolerance of abuse.
I had a fan pointed right at the receiver because I felt it an it was pretty warm an I made sure that my speakers were hooked up properly playing to loud could be the problem but my fuses are all still OK so it's kinda mind boggling made sure I had nice thick wire 14gauge an banana plugs and only hooked up some of what I have for speakers thinking I'm going to stop playing with the small stuff and get some concert equipment but these speakers I have right now sound really good no distortion and just awesome.

K

Kingstonkid

Audiophyte
It's 2021 an people only use punctuation in handwritten notes I haven't seen or heard of anyone using or complaining about punctuation

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis