MA Bronze 100s or Silver 100s to compliment MA Gold 300s gen5 (LCR)?

M

Maximus001

Audioholic Intern
Presently using Triad silvers for rear surrounds for my HT. Thinking of using the Triad Silvers elsewhere. I'm driving everything with Audiocontrol's new XR8.

Are the Silvers worth twice the price?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think the silver 100s will be closer in quality to your golds than the bronze line.
Iirc, they were pretty well received by the audio press. Nothing groundbreaking, but nothing for people to really complain about.

M

Maximus001

Audioholic Intern
Can you think of something else that would be exciting? Dali, Tannoy, Totem....?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Monitor Audio Gold 300s at all 7 Bed Layer Channels! :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
More seriously... what is your use case: Music to HT%? If Music, do you look for a lot of 5.1/multichannel programming?
If the answer is yes for multichannel Music, I would look for the closest matching sound profile. To me that would be the Silver 100, unless you go for the Gold standmounts to match.
If not, then you can do a lot of different angles. I know guys with Salks or Philharmonic Audio rigs that use NHT for Surround/Rear/etc.
Another option would be looking for something that is a little more sensitive. I found myself bumping my rears because they just don't have as good a presence compared to the other channels. I know they are working, but not contributing as much as I would like.
At that point it's really personal preference.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Presently using Triad silvers for rear surrounds for my HT. Thinking of using the Triad Silvers elsewhere. I'm driving everything with Audiocontrol's new XR8.

Are the Silvers worth twice the price?
Is it for movies or do you listen to a lot of music in 5,1? As far as most music and timbre matching goes your front 3 are the big ones.

M

Maximus001

Audioholic Intern
Monitor Audio Gold 300s at all 7 Bed Layer Channels! :D
Of course I was trying to save a buck but you're right. The Gold 300s are amazing. They've got me listening to 10X more music.

M

Maximus001

Audioholic Intern
Another option would be looking for something that is a little more sensitive. I found myself bumping my rears because they just don't have as good a presence compared to the other channels. I know they are working, but not contributing as much as I would like.
At that point it's really personal preference.
Is it for movies or do you listen to a lot of music in 5,1? As far as most music and timbre matching goes your front 3 are the big ones.

I watch TV is the morning for an hour or so then it's Music all day and in the evening Movies. So I'm using the system a lot and have to say I friggin' love it. I've tried Multichannel stereo but really enjoy Dolby surround or DTX neural for music. I want to get more out of the rear surrounds also, especially when I'm doing things in other parts of the room.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What are your surrounds?

Better yet, please list your speakers for a better snapshot of your rig as it stands today.

M

Maximus001

Audioholic Intern
So my surrounds are actually in ceiling Triad Silvers (above the couch) and the rear surrounds are at ear level Triad Bookshelf Silvers (about 8 feet behind the couch). I also have a Triad Silver passive sub.

There are two ceiling front effect and two rear also. Also Triad.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So just what is wrong now? What do you expect the change to bring?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I like where Lovin' is going with his question, but if you want to improve things, you need to actually put your Surrounds on the ground. Rears are nice.
But:
The bed layer needs to be solid for the sound field to work properly.

You could easily put real Surrounds down and have an instant 5.x.2 with Top Middle if your AVR supports that. ;)

I get there are always things we have to work with, and around, in this hobby... and perhaps you have legitimate reasons for your setup now. just at the superficial level, this is what I see and would look at addressing if it were mine. :)

M

Maximus001

Audioholic Intern
I like where Lovin' is going with his question, but if you want to improve things, you need to actually put your Surrounds on the ground. Rears are nice.
But:
The bed layer needs to be solid for the sound field to work properly.

You could easily put real Surrounds down and have an instant 5.x.2 with Top Middle if your AVR supports that. ;)

I get there are always things we have to work with, and around, in this hobby... and perhaps you have legitimate reasons for your setup now. just at the superficial level, this is what I see and would look at addressing if it were mine. :)
Interesting. That is the way I had the speakers arranged and then was advised by Audiocontrol to go with the surrounds above the listening position and use the Silver bookshelf speakers as rear surrounds.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
and then was advised by Audiocontrol to go with the surrounds above the listening position
o_O:confused::(
Wow. This really surprises me as it goes against everything I know about multichannel setup and how we hear/interpret sound from distinct locations.
I have a closet on my back wall and mounted my rears on-wall above the closet and have them aimed at me. I can tell that the sound field is broken behind me, especially in HT. Music, not so much, but of my 5.1 audio discs it’s only the DTS ones that don’t use the Front Center, rather are programmed for Rear Center, which use them: surprisingly the positioning is less sensitive than in HT.

Alas, it is your system. If you are happy with it, please continue enjoying. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis