SVS PB-2000 Pro Subwoofer review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thank you for a very nice review. I have 2x PB-200 pro myself and am currently trying to fiddle with placement and eq to get a flat response, using REW for measurements.
I would like to use your graph, the one showing Frequency response for both ported and sealed mode as a reference for my own measurements. Could you perhaps inform, if you are using REW and what kind of smoothing you have used, at what gain, ect. so I can replicate in my setup?

Regards/Michel
The measurements for that graph were done using REW. The graphs are unsmoothed. Those tests are done with the subwoofer gain at maximum.

I wouldn't be so concerned about trying to duplicate the setup for that testing if I were you. The most valuable part of that testing was acoustic the conditions it was performed in and the testing methodology. That is only good for capturing the anechoic response of the sub. Those aren't the methods that you want to use to capture the response of the subs in your room at your listening positions. All you really need to do is try to get the flattest response that you can from 20Hz to 100Hz at your listening positions.

Remember just to use EQ to take down peaks and use positioning to shore up nulls. Don't use EQ to bring up anything but very mild dips in the response.

M

MThomsen

Audiophyte
The measurements for that graph were done using REW. The graphs are unsmoothed. Those tests are done with the subwoofer gain at maximum.

I wouldn't be so concerned about trying to duplicate the setup for that testing if I were you. The most valuable part of that testing was acoustic the conditions it was performed in and the testing methodology. That is only good for capturing the anechoic response of the sub. Those aren't the methods that you want to use to capture the response of the subs in your room at your listening positions. All you really need to do is try to get the flattest response that you can from 20Hz to 100Hz at your listening positions.

Remember just to use EQ to take down peaks and use positioning to shore up nulls. Don't use EQ to bring up anything but very mild dips in the response.
Thanks a lot. Im a newb to this and appreciate your directions. You say unsmoothed? If you saw my unsmoothed graph, you would probadbly ask me to just find a nother room for my setup :) , it looks terrible white noise style , but sounds with autority and quite punchy all the way from 20 to 100hz where i roll off. However i want a more flat response so i guess ill start over, back to basics. Again, thanks for your quick reply and tips on the build in EQ.

O

ouchmythumbs

Audiophyte
Having reviewed, and listened, to both of these, is there a huge difference in the PB-3000 over the PB-2000 Pro? Purchased a PB-2000 Pro recently and have been more than happy, but what can I say, more is always enticing! The only thing really holding me back is the metal grill; I just can't seem to appreciate it like some. That said, if I were to expect a huge difference, it might be something I could live with. Movies/music probably about 70/30 in an odd-shaped room with an open floorplan, but some strategic furniture placement along with sub placement in particular areas, I can "close" it in a bit for my MLP.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Having reviewed, and listened, to both of these, is there a huge difference in the PB-3000 over the PB-2000 Pro? Purchased a PB-2000 Pro recently and have been more than happy, but what can I say, more is always enticing! The only thing really holding me back is the metal grill; I just can't seem to appreciate it like some. That said, if I were to expect a huge difference, it might be something I could live with. Movies/music probably about 70/30 in an odd-shaped room with an open floorplan, but some strategic furniture placement along with sub placement in particular areas, I can "close" it in a bit for my MLP.
I posted links to each review in post #10 here. If you look at the CEA charts, the PB 3000 has a 2-5 dB advantage throughout the frequency range. The advantage is around 2 dB under 20 hz and increase as you go further up the frequency range. So if you want more mid bass and more low end the PB-3000 will get you there. If you don't feel like anything is missing with the PB-2000 then you should be fine. Or you could just get a second pb-2000 to even out frequency response...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well Shady, you got me to check out Felix Hell. I'm watching a video of him explaining musical canons right now.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I posted links to each review in post #10 here. If you look at the CEA charts, the PB 3000 has a 2-5 dB advantage throughout the frequency range. The advantage is around 2 dB under 20 hz and increase as you go further up the frequency range. So if you want more mid bass and more low end the PB-3000 will get you there. If you don't feel like anything is missing with the PB-2000 then you should be fine. Or you could just get a second pb-2000 to even out frequency response...
Ninaudio pretty much nails the analytical answer here. Perceptually, that SPL improvement ends up being a very significant increase in headroom. The PB-3000 hits harder in a very tangible way, and it hangs with many of 15" big boys in performance, yet it doesn't have the physical size or weight of those 15"s which is what I love about it.
Well Shady, you got me to check out Felix Hell. I'm watching a video of him explaining musical canons right now.
I'll make an organ music connoisseur out of you yet!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'll make an organ music connoisseur out of you yet!
Get those Subs into extended mode so you can really enjoy the occasional use of that 16Hz low C when it gets used! ;)

Check out Olivier Latry, Bach To The Future. Could be the last sounds heard in our lifetime from that Great Organ.

And this promotional video for the release:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Get those Subs into extended mode so you can really enjoy the occasional use of that 16Hz low C when it gets used! ;)

Check out Olivier Latry, Bach To The Future. Could be the last sounds heard in our lifetime from that Great Organ.

And this promotional video for the release:
I haven't actually listened yet, but I know from your contributions in the sub candy thread they're prolly deserving of a "like"!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Remember when I PM'd you because I could have sworn my ears where saying this is a better sub? But I thought it was buyer bias? You hadn't got a chance to review it yet

Looks like my ears were right for once great review!!!

A

AudioLover73

Enthusiast
I really like the metal grills SVS uses. In fact, that is one of the biggest reasons I chose the PB16-Ultra over the competition. That combined with the piano gloss finish really sets them apart. These new grills they're using are so plain. I really don't like them, and I wish they would go back to using the metal grills, even on the "lower" series models.

P

paveldeg

Enthusiast
Review says 5% THD at maximum SPL, but charts show more like 10% at 97 and 20% at 102. Not bad, but not spectacular.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis