SVS Ultra Surround competitors?

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Are there any options like these surrounds that incorporate side and rear surround effects in one speaker?

S

Sadie42

Audioholic Intern
I'm not an HT guy, but I've seen these designs used by just about everyone since the middle 2000's. Wasn't it part of the THX standard?

Klipsch still makes them as part of their Premier Series. https://www.klipsch.com/surround-sound-speakers

Anyways, what are you using now? You should try and match the sonic signature of what you have now.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
I'm not an HT guy, but I've seen these designs used by just about everyone since the middle 2000's. Wasn't it part of the THX standard?

Klipsch still makes them as part of their Premier Series. https://www.klipsch.com/surround-sound-speakers

Anyways, what are you using now? You should try and match the sonic signature of what you have now.

ALL SVS - Pinnacle Towers, Ultra Center, PB4000, Prime Elevations

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hmm - explain please?
I'm sure Shady can give us a better explanation.

But I am thinking that for Dolby Atmos and Discrete Object-Based 3-D sound, we want more accurate and "focused" sound-field speakers, NOT a bunch of diffused sound everywhere, which is rather inaccurate.

That's why even before Atmos, I was never a fan of these diffused sound surround speakers - they are okay for creating ambience of non-discrete sound like the old Dolby PLIIx and DTS Neo.

But for discrete sound-field, I want more focused and accurate sound.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, that makes sense.
I just sold a pair of Klipsch RP-500M bookshelf to a client who owns a Klipsch system. He wanted the RP-502S, which is about twice the price of the RP-500M. But I recommended the RP-500M because it is a traditional direct-radiating speaker, better for Discrete Atmos Object-Based Sound-Mapping.

He saved $400. :D

So just because something is a lot more expensive and has "been done before" does not make it the best choice. :D

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
I'm sure Shady can give us a better explanation.

But I am thinking that for Dolby Atmos and Discrete Object-Based 3-D sound, we want more accurate and "focused" sound-field speakers, NOT a bunch of diffused sound everywhere, which is rather inaccurate.

That's why even before Atmos, I was never a fan of these diffused sound surround speakers - they are okay for creating ambience of non-discrete sound like the old Dolby PLIIx and DTS Neo.

But for discrete sound-field, I want more focused and accurate sound.
So what would you use to achieve this? Regular SVS prime sats or elevations??

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd go with the prime sats myself unless you wanna go all out and get the Ultra books, which I did, but honestly could have gotten away with prime sats. I look at the elevation speakers as a solution for hard to place atmos speakers when you don't want to cut holes in your ceiling, tho carefully placed I'll bet they'd work great as surrounds too.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes. Or, depending on the space you have available and how deep you pockets are, you could go with the full size bookshelf/standmount. Likewise, some use Towers at Surround and Rear.

SVS Speakers are designed to be voice matched even between Ultra and Prime. So if you want Ultra Bookshelf at Surround, go for it. Prime Bookshelf would be good, too.

To your earlier question: I agree with Shady. Some companies make Bipole and Dipole Speakers that will radiate sound in 2-3 different directions, and for Dipole, may come with a switch that changes the phase of the opposing drivers. The only time I have seen these recommended is if they are being placed in a very nearfield scenario where having direct radiating Monopole Speakers 1' from your ear may be distracting... so these Bipole designs soften the impact by aiming the wid-woofers off to the sides usually to soften the direct radiating effect.
But these are really not a great design and can muddy the soundfield.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Acudeftechguy and Ryan covered that pretty well. Once you start using acoustic reflections to emulate a sound source, you invoke all kinds of problems. It shouldn't be done except in specific circumstances.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis