Subwoofer not working with Emotiva Ta-100

B

bomt697

Junior Audioholic
Hello,

In a prior post I had asked how I should connect a external subwoofer to my Emotiva TA-100 integrated amplifier and Bluesound 2i streamer.

I was advised to connect the subwoofer to the Emotiva. However, when I do so I get little to no output from the subwoofer. I’ve enabled the subwoofer option in the BluOS app, but still still no luck.

Oddly, when I connect the subwoofer to the streamer directly, it works perfectly. Regardless of the subwoofer options being enabled in the app.

I checked the bass setting on the Emotiva and it is not minimized.

Could anyone help shed light on what the issue could be? Please advise, thanks

-Modi

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is it the same result using either/both of the sub pre-outs? I see in the manual it says you're expected to match speaker level by using the gain on the sub, so assume it has no subwoofer level/trim control? No matter what gain you set on the sub the result is the same? Where do you have the low pass filter on your sub set?

What sub is it and it worked fine with other gear?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Are you using the analog or a digital connection to the Emotiva from the node 2i? A full signal will be sent via digital. If connecting a sub directly to the node 2i sw preout and using the analog L and R outputs, I believe a non adjustable 80hz crossover is applied to the speakers when set to “with subwoofer” within the node 2i. I believe the sw pre out on the node 2i is always active according to Bluesound.

Last edited:
B

bomt697

Junior Audioholic
Is it the same result using either/both of the sub pre-outs? I see in the manual it says you're expected to match speaker level by using the gain on the sub, so assume it has no subwoofer level/trim control? No matter what gain you set on the sub the result is the same? Where do you have the low pass filter on your sub set?

What sub is it and it worked fine with other gear?

Correct, regardless of what gain/vol I have the sub set to, I get little no output from it (when connected to the TA-100). I have the crossover set to 80hz

I get plenty of output when its connected to the Bluesound streamer 2i however, so I know the sub works [well].

B

bomt697

Junior Audioholic
Are you using the analog or a digital connection to the Emotiva from the node 2i? A full signal will be sent via digital. If connecting a sub directly to the node 2i sw preout and using the analog L and R outputs, I believe a non adjustable 80hz crossover is applied to the speakers when set to “with subwoofer” within the node 2i. I believe the sw pre out on the node 2i is always active according to Bluesound.

I am using a optical cable from the Bluesound 2i to the Emotiva TA-100. Am sorry, but I don't understand the 2nd portion of your comment. Could you please rephrase?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Correct, regardless of what gain/vol I have the sub set to, I get little no output from it (when connected to the TA-100). I have the crossover set to 80hz

I get plenty of output when its connected to the Bluesound streamer 2i however, so I know the sub works [well].
If you're able to use it fine with the Bluesound then sounds like the pre-out level of the Emotiva is too low for the sub you're using....what sub is it? Does it make much difference if you turn the low pass filter to max (assuming you're not using any actual crossover in the sub and high-passing your speakers)?

I think treb was suggesting perhaps you try the sub out on the Bluesound while using the TA-100 for your speakers; it might cause some extra delay but might work. Also I'd try using analog input into your TA-100 and see if that makes a difference from the optical connection.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I wasn’t very clear there, sorry. I thought about getting a node 2i for MQA. The node 2i sw pre out is always active regardless of setting. The sw pre out has a low pass filter of 80hz. When using the analog audio outputs and setting it to “with subwoofer”, a high pass filter of 80hz is applied to the analog outputs. This was why I asked if the connection to the amp was analog or digital. Connecting the sub to the amp means using the sub’s crossover and gain adjustments. If you like it with the sub connected to the node 2i, leave it.
85F0E7C0-4CA2-4261-8E84-C3D76FC7936B.jpeg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis