PatKen

PatKen

Audioholic Intern
Any suggestions for a very good headphones. Primary for games on a PC. Max 500$

Microphone us not mendatory.

Grunt66

Grunt66

Audioholic Intern
I am currently using the Astro A50 Gen 3 that I purchased in 2016, I believe I paid $300 for them. I have been extremely happy with them when gaming on my PC. However over the past several months the base station the headphones connect to via Bluetooth started having a connectivity issue. The current A50 Gen 4 uses a new base station that is not compatible with my Gen 3 headphones. With that being said I am considering buying another pair of the A50's but I am also considering the Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless headphones for $329.00.

I tried the Bose 700 and Apple Airpods Max headphones over the past couple weeks as gaming headphones. They are not marketed as gaming headphones but I thought I would give them a try. I am using a Bose 700 sound bar (SB) as a PC speaker along with the Bose 700 subwoofer. I know overkill for a PC system but I changed out my PC monitor to a LG 48CX OLED. I am now watching Amazon Prime and Netflix from my PC. I am using a dedicated sound card (Sound Blaster AE-5 Plus) and connecting the Bose 700 SB via toslink to the sound card. I can now control the audio quality via the SB AE-5 Plus software. The Bose 700 headphones pair via the Bose music app with the Bose SB. They sounded good for when I play Battle Field 4 online. I connected the Apple Airpds Max via Bluetooth from my PC. While they worked I could barley hear my foot steps when I was running in Battle Field 4. The Astro A50 surpassed both the Bose and Apple aforementioned headphones for gaming.
bose 700 1.jpg
bose 700.jpg

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I assume longer wearing times required - so comfort is important. I typically notice that with open-back headphones your ears will not get as warm, on the other hand, open back does not prevent people around you to hear your sound.
You also need to decide if you intend to go outside in headphones - ie: If mobility is a factor.
rtings has good articles to help you narrow down your choices
or just pick from one of these:

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
Z Reviews on YouTube did a gaming headset video so check that out.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Z Reviews on YouTube did a gaming headset video so check that out.
Let's agree to disagree on this one. Let's start from the sheer madness of him putting on youtube demos for various speakers. That reminds me of one ancient joke:
a Dude from ex-soviet countries travels to Europe and attends one of the famous opera singer's concerts.
Coming back, his wife asked him how was it - he sings for her, and she says that that famous opera singer is absolutely terrible.
The same concept with demoing speakers on youtube.

Grunt66

Grunt66

Audioholic Intern
Let's agree to disagree on this one. Let's start from the sheer madness of him putting on youtube demos for various speakers. That reminds me of one ancient joke:
a Dude from ex-soviet countries travels to Europe and attends one of the famous opera singer's concerts.
Coming back, his wife asked him how was it - he sings for her, and she says that that famous opera singer is absolutely terrible.
The same concept with demoing speakers on youtube.
That is a interesting analogy and I respect your opinion. I fail to see the correlation between a person who attends a opera and sings part of the opera to his wife and of a recording of a headphone for playback. I do see where you are going with your statement. I can say this I have watched numerous videos of reviews for noise canceling headphones online. I then purchased several types (see attached picture) over the past two weeks, I already owned the Bose Quiet Comfort 35's since 2016. The remaining 3 have recently been purchased. The microphone used to record the sound and the playback speakers come into play. The reviews for the Apple Airpods Max and Bose 700 headphones I watched online, I experienced the same listening tonal qualities in person that I watched online. Another example when I was looking to upgrade the exhaust on my 2018 BMW M5 (F90), I listened to numerous reviews and one could tell when a low quality microphone was used. There was one review that was professionally done for the Remus cat back exhaust that was spot on sound wise. I now have the Remus on my vehicle and it sounds just like it does on line.
Headphones.jpg

Last edited:
Grunt66

Grunt66

Audioholic Intern
For the car guys in the forum. Here is the Remus Youtube for the BMW M5 (F90). I have the same setup on my M5 and it sounds identical. Enjoy.
My M5 with the Remus exhaust and side profile. Great car. My crappy iPhone microphone does no justice to the sound of the exhaust.
M5 Remus.jpg
M5 beach.jpg

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
That is a interesting analogy and I respect your opinion. I fail to see the correlation between a person who attends a opera and sings part of the opera to his wife and of a recording of a headphone for playback. I do see where you are going with your statement. I can say this I have watched numerous videos of reviews for noise canceling headphones online. I then purchased several types (see attached picture) over the past two weeks, I already owned the Bose Quiet Comfort 35's since 2016. The remaining 3 have recently been purchased. The microphone used to record the sound and the playback speakers come into play. The reviews for the Apple Airpods Max and Bose 700 headphones I watched online, I experienced the same listening tonal qualities in person that I watched online. Another example when I was looking to upgrade the exhaust on my 2018 BMW M5 (F90), I listened to numerous reviews and one could tell when a low quality microphone was used. There was one review that was professionally done for the Remus cat back exhaust that was spot on sound wise. I now have the Remus on my vehicle and it sounds just like it does on line.
Car exhaust is a bit different beast, but lets go back to headphones and speakers:
Lets say YOUR speakers are tent be overly bassy and have poor soundstage, listening to other speakers playing THROUGH your OWN speakers - they will all sound the same. I hope that this logic isn't lost on you.

Yes, Z posts tons of SUBJECTIVE reviews for headphones and he may be not entirely wrong, but everyone has a slightly different head size and shape, ears, expectation of comfort, etc... The best way is finding RIGHT headphones is to understand some basic design differences and then try a few out.

One thing I will say is this: I own way too many headphones and one brand which yet to disappoint even once is Sennheiser. They are always delivering sound quality at or above their price points. In fact, my best phones are HD600. I also own Austria-Made AKG-712Pro which used to sell for $500 and HD600 sounds better to me. (AKG is a bit more comfortable thought)
One of the hugely popular headphones ATH-M40x is one I absolutely hated the bloated and overly bassy sound, but maybe someone who likes modern rap/hip hop may just like these.

Ahmed Sifat

Ahmed Sifat

Audiophyte
HarmonicDyne Zeus .Open Back Headphone .Hi-Res Crisp Sound.Very Wide Sound Stage . So,I do think it will help you to use for longer time

S

Spkrdctr

Audiophyte
Audeze Mobius? I have a set and they seem to do very well!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I just recently got these for office and I must say that I'm really impressed by them for the price and I have seen a lot of good reviews for them as well https://global.beyerdynamic.com/mmx-300.html Haven't tried them for gaming yet but how they sound for music I would guess they would work really well for gaming as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis