Have the space for a 7.2.4 setup, but should I?

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
Using the audioadvice.com Home Theater Configuration tool, I technically have enough space to do a 7.2.4 setup. But I'm wondering if I should.

The reason being is my space is an open floor plan, with hardwood floors everywhere, so I'm worried that 7.2.4 in my case would just be a sound reflection mess.

Now, I can do the following:
  • Put a rug between the couch and TV
  • Close the window blinds
  • Put sound absorbing panels on the TV wall (the TV won't be mounted)
  • Put sound absorbing panels on the ceiling
But I'm curious if that's enough to enjoy the setup.

Attached are photos of how it would be setup, the windows in the room, and the furniture.

Also here is a link to the room on Audio Advice: https://theaters.audioadvice.com/rooms/5c979c776166

* The room is 35ft x 15ft x 9ft

Attachments

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I gonna go with a no. Imo the rear surrounds should be to the rear, not the rear corners. It could be ok, but for the added expense and wiring, 5.1.4 will definitely be enough. Especially since it looks the rear surrounds will be quite a distance away, and on the same plane as the side surrounds.

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
Thank you! If I go with 5.1.4, what do you think of my sound absorption plan?

Also here is how the setup would look with 5.1.4 according to Audio Advice:

With my living room I'd be able to get the speakers in the exact locations shown.

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
As far as absorption, if it's in a public/multi-use room I tend to keep it conservative. You can add heavy curtains to the windows or if you don't want that add thicker style blinds. An area rug is always a classic move as well. Ceiling would be good if it's inoffensive/blends in and as far as walls you stare at everyday I wouldn't do it unless you only use that room for home theater. Like I said, if it's in a public room I want to feel like I'm in a living room and not a sound studio.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you! If I go with 5.1.4, what do you think of my sound absorption plan?

Also here is how the setup would look with 5.1.4 according to Audio Advice:

With my living room I'd be able to get the speakers in the exact locations shown.
Looks pretty good. I’d probably move the surrounds forward a little bit. I personally like about 110° for 5ch bed layer.
As far as acoustic treatments, I agree that you’ll want to stay conservative. While I am definitely a proponent, you can achieve decent acoustics with a rug, and heavy drapes etc to absorb higher frequency stuff. But also diffusion is important. Iirc, the famous Floyd Toole uses only basic room furnishings for a blend of absorption and diffusion.
A qualified source would be GIK acoustics.

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
Ok cool thanks for the advice! I think I'll just do a rug, and ceiling absorption. I think that will look cool if I can find some white absorption panels!

Thanks again I really appreciate it!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I also vote for 5.2.4 and just get the thickest big area rug. If you can get drapes/curtains for windows, even better. The sofas and sofa pillows and sofa cover blankets also help. Don’t even need any sound panels IMO.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis