Looking for Bookshelf speakers (and i can't decide)

M

miklek65

Audioholic Intern
hi,
currently i am after a pair of boobshelf speakers but there are so many out there that i'm just completely lost. I have a TEAC ag-h550 receiver, wich was faulty now i saved it so did not cost me too much. So I'm after some speakers for it, There is a sony SS-MB250H (8ohm 120w) available very cheap. Now i had the floorstanding version speakers of these and i know how they sound, was quite happy with them apart from the bass. so lets call this speaker the base case. From there what would be a significant step up? I'm looking at Teac ls300u, monitor audio br2, dali spector 1-2, Wharfedale diamond 9.1, something from Kef ?(paradigm mini monitors would be great but they are unavailable)
So something from the past 10 years, 2nd hand between 100-200gbp region higher end of the mid range what i am looking for, it is so hard to choose, especially when you can't listen to all of them.

P

Panda500

Audiophyte
Did you think about the Dali Zensor 1 's? 5 stars at "What hifi"-review and from me too... ;-) And very low priced (150 euro?) Also, my brother in law has connected them (as a test) to his legendaric Sansui AU 919 and could'nt believe his ears.

Last edited:
P

ParleyW

Audioholic
hi,
currently i am after a pair of boobshelf speakers but there are so many out there that i'm just completely lost. I have a TEAC ag-h550 receiver, wich was faulty now i saved it so did not cost me too much. So I'm after some speakers for it, There is a sony SS-MB250H (8ohm 120w) available very cheap. Now i had the floorstanding version speakers of these and i know how they sound, was quite happy with them apart from the bass. so lets call this speaker the base case. From there what would be a significant step up? I'm looking at Teac ls300u, monitor audio br2, dali spector 1-2, Wharfedale diamond 9.1, something from Kef ?(paradigm mini monitors would be great but they are unavailable)
So something from the past 10 years, 2nd hand between 100-200gbp region higher end of the mid range what i am looking for, it is so hard to choose, especially when you can't listen to all of them.
I put a pair of JBL L1 together from parts. Still an incredibly good bookshelf. I’ve got several reference models worth $1800 still in their boxes. Around $100.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
DIY... There's a ton of companies out there that will offer kits or instructions on bookshelf speakers. That's what I'm looking to do myself. Well I'm looking to build a complete HT actually but same difference. There are allot of DIY companies.

M

miklek65

Audioholic Intern
there are a pair paradigm mini monitor v1-s available, kind of cheap but very poor cosmetic condition, i'm kind of temted to fix the chips and re veneer them, but not sure how the parts available in the uk as they kind of exotic around here.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
"Boobshelf" speakers??

I know it's a typo, but it's a funny one! Ha ha

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Go look on Craigslist and Thrift stores. I've found decent stuff there.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Go look on Craigslist and Thrift stores. I've found decent stuff there.
Yup. We both have done pretty well in the used market! You just need some time and patience. There are some good deals out there. I picked up these IL30s for 10 bucks off Craigslist!

4601_copy_644x483.jpeg

That was a score. Seller advertised them for 30 and a tweeter wasn't working when he demoed them so I offered 10. Played with the jumpers when I got 'em home and the tweet started working!

Anyhoo, seriously, there are some great deals on the used market if you're persistent and look often. I have a craigslist thread and you're welcome to post any finds if you want us to take a look and help you determine if it's a good deal or not.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
"Boobshelf" speakers??

I know it's a typo, but it's a funny one! Ha ha
Firesign Theater had a line about a woman in one of their skits- "She's got a balcony you could do Shakespeare off of".

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
there are a pair paradigm mini monitor v1-s available, kind of cheap but very poor cosmetic condition, i'm kind of temted to fix the chips and re veneer them, but not sure how the parts available in the uk as they kind of exotic around here.
Look at Monitor Audio, Whardedale, and Dali ... they will dance all around the bottom level Sony SS-MB series

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis