surround bipole speaker placement

T

Tailspin70

Audioholic Intern
When installing surround bipoles on walls for SL/SR, does it matter if the speaker is pointed at our listening position? My HT is setup at an angle so that installing speakers on the wall would result in the speaker not pointing directly at us. I am thinking this may not matter for a wide sound field of a surround dipole but I wanted to confirm this assumption. The other option would be to wall mount a surround bookshelf that could be rotated but I'm thinking this would result in the speaker sticking out from the wall much more than a dipole. Speaker stands are not really an option due to furniture or them being in the way. They would be mounted around 5ft high as I read they should be 2ft higher than our ears.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Glad you asked this. I was trying to figure out your room from the other thread you started, but lost it....
First thing is. Would you consider rotating the layout so the LCR is NOT in the corner, but along the front wall instead?

T

Tailspin70

Audioholic Intern
The reason we ended up with the corner layout is due to the existing ceiling speakers (circles) when we moved in. I am considering adding wall mounted surround bipoles (not dipole my bad) where the red stars are located, or where the blue diamonds are located. This would give me a 5.1.4 layout (not using the middle front overhead speaker).
1613092513778.png

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
What's the brand and model of Bipole you are using?

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
The reason we ended up with the corner layout is due to the existing ceiling speakers (circles) when we moved in. I am considering adding wall mounted surround bipoles (not dipole my bad) where the red stars are located, or where the blue diamonds are located. This would give me a 5.1.4 layout (not using the middle front overhead speaker).
View attachment 44498
Bipoles are not bad but unless you have a really wide couch I suspect you have enough space for direct radiating speakers in those positions to breath enough to sound great. Conventional speakers (direct radiating) will not only provide more precise placement of objects in space (you are putting together a nice ATMOS setup that it would be a shame to compromise) but also cost less.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis