Previous Gen Audioquest HDMI cables for 4K Gaming

U

unrealii

Enthusiast
I am looking for a cable to connect my future PS5 to my LG B9 tv.
I noticed the previous gen audioquest hdmi cables are on clearance at crutchfield. Can snag a Chocolate cable for $60.
Seems like a no brainer. I assume these cables were overbuilt. Any way to know if these will hit the 48 g bandwidth?
Having a hard time finding bandwidth tests.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I am looking for a cable to connect my future PS5 to my LG B9 tv.
I noticed the previous gen audioquest hdmi cables are on clearance at crutchfield. Can snag a Chocolate cable for $60.
Seems like a no brainer. I assume these cables were overbuilt. Any way to know if these will hit the 48 g bandwidth?
Having a hard time finding bandwidth tests.
Those AQ cables will not hit 48g's. You have to purchase the NEW AQ cables that say 48 on them. Check out the AudioQuest Cinnamon 48. It's only $120 for 3ft. Totally worth it. Your PS5 and that LG will more than best friends with that AQ cable. Plus $120 for one single cable is not that expensive. Drop in the bucket for us Audioholics.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
F*ck Fraudioquest. Scammers. If you must spend top dollar I'd go with Blue Jeans Cables instead but Monoprice and other brands will be just fine if you get the right certification for your use.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The 18gbps will do as the TV will hit it’s limit at 4K @60hz @4:4:4. Go for a 48gbps cable if you plan to upgrade the TV as well and need a cable that can handle 4K @120hz.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The 18gbps will do as the TV will hit it’s limit at 4K @60hz @4:4:4. Go for a 48gbps cable if you plan to upgrade the TV as well and need a cable that can handle 4K @120hz.
Buying one of each Monoprice cable will still be cheaper than the Fraudioquest product, even 50% off!

U

unrealii

Enthusiast
No plans to upgrade the TV. Supposedly already can do 4K@120hz

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Nice update! Yes, you will need 48gbps cables, just don't overspend on them. Save that money for games. Report back about supported resolutions and frame rates with your setup. No real info around here about gaming in 4K @120hz. What's the latest on PS5 availability? I've been out of the loop on Playstations since my "fat" PS3 60gb.

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
Anything AudioQuest is overpriced and overhyped. Depending on how long your cable run is the recommendation would be to use a certified, passive, Premium High Speed HDMI cable as mentioned above, with the QR label of authenticity. However, certification is only good to 25' so if you need a longer cable, the recommendation would be to use an active, hybrid fiber cable like the Ruipro 4k, but they can be expensive. At present, there are no certified, active cables, yet.

Certification is not a guarantee of compatibility. It is mainly for consumer confidence that the cable has been tested and certified by HDMI.org/HDMI LA to meet specific HDMI option sets. And speaking of QR labels, the counterfeiters are getting better so it would be a good idea to scan the QR just to make sure. For the HDMI 2.0 option sets look for a Premium High Speed HDMI cable. For the HDMI 2.1 option sets, look for an Ultra High Speed HDMI cable. Both will have the QR label.

U

unrealii

Enthusiast
much appreciated for the feedback.

I dont have the PS5, but when I am able to get one, I'll start with the factory cable then jump up to the monoprices if it feels that there is still improvement left on the table.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
much appreciated for the feedback.

I dont have the PS5, but when I am able to get one, I'll start with the factory cable then jump up to the monoprices if it feels that there is still improvement left on the table.
They still come with cables?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
At least through the PS4, but my experience is that half the time they don't work! :p
I was trying to remember what came with my PS3....I think it came with a special component cable and maybe the hdmi but figured when they go all hdmi they'd just stop supplying a cable like some other gear does now....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I was trying to remember what came with my PS3....I think it came with a special component cable and maybe the hdmi but figured when they go all hdmi they'd just stop supplying a cable like some other gear does now....
I remember those old component cables. Those were the days! :rolleyes: :p

But the HDMIs were throwaways. *shrugs

I remember for one of the generations (probably the 3) they sold a PS branded "nice" HDMI that I bought and used for quite awhile.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis