'DC-Coil' assisted loudspeaker drivers

Ren Kitchener

Ren Kitchener

Junior Audioholic
Back a few decades, I remember a slickly published 'song-and-dance' about a loudspeaker driver that had two additional DC coils (electromagnets) placed either side of the voice coil. The idea was that as the cone extended, the 'electromagnetic' force of the additional electromagnets would increase/assist the travel of the cone, to counter the air compression in the cabinet (sealed).

At the time, I thought that this was revolutionary (and wished that I'd though of that idea - such a simple, elegant idea).

The claim was that they would make a small, sealed, loudspeaker significantly more efficient at the lower frequencies. However, the 'company' disappeared as quickly as they appeared.

Does anyone remember this? Did they actually ever work? My feeling is that they probably failed - badly - in practice - hence, it's never been seen or mentioned since...

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Rythmik has a whole line of subs based on servo driver/amp combos. Velodyne did also. I have an old Infinity sub with servo tech. Can't say I've seen it used in a traditional loudspeaker but then most of those are passive rather than amped, too....

Ren Kitchener

Ren Kitchener

Junior Audioholic
Rythmik has a whole line of subs based on servo driver/amp combos. Velodyne did also. I have an old Infinity sub with servo tech. Can't say I've seen it used in a traditional loudspeaker but then most of those are passive rather than amped, too....
The ones I mentioned, didn't have any feedback (so not really a 'servo' - I corrected the title @lovinthehd ) - they only had an additional DC supply - so maybe, this is where the current servo solution began it's journey? ..maybe not.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The ones I mentioned, didn't have any feedback (so not really servo) - they only had an additional DC supply - so maybe, this is how the problem was solved?
LOL no, just read too quickly and my brainfart said "servo". Not particularly familiar with just the extra magnets/coils but think I've seen some drivers with some sort of extra coil....and did the design ever really solve the "problem"? @shadyJ or @TLS Guy maybe knows....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis