Buchardt A500 vs Bowers & Wilkins Formation Duo

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd look to compare the Buchardts more with the likes of active speakes from Genelec, Neumann, ATC, Adam, JBL etc rather than Klipsch :).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would almost liken Buchardt's pricing to SVS: they both include shipping, but where SVS does two way shipping free with a 45 day in-home trial, Buchy pays all 1-way shipping plus any taxes or import fees.
This can be expensive.
You do pay a nominal charge if you choose to return the item, but otherwise...

C

ciotime

Audioholic
I'd look to compare the Buchardts more with the likes of active speakes from Genelec, Neumann, ATC, Adam, JBL etc rather than Klipsch :).
The Klipsch Fives are also active speakers. I wouldn't mind getting the Buchardt's if the price difference is really justified. Otherwise I can just get the Klipsch the Fives or Edifier A200.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
The Klipsch Fives are also active speakers. I wouldn't mind getting the Buchardt's if the price difference is really justified. Otherwise I can just get the Klipsch the Fives or Edifier A200.
To be fair, you would need sub for the klipsch to compare with the buchardt. The woofers on the buchardt are definitely better than one in klipsch.
The buchardt is a niche brand, outside internet no one knows, while the klipsch are very mass marketed. You might want to take a look at jbl and genelec actives.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Edifier is pure abject cr@p. Personally, I don’t think the Klipsch offering is far behind.
And while I would be hard pressed to justify the ticket on the Buchys, they are at least putting out a more robust effort for accurate and neutral speakers.
If your goal is to listen critically, or if you have any desire to have speakers which will faithfully reproduced the recorded event, you need to change your perspective and start shopping for the better Studio Monitors.
Right now, what you are doing is comparing a Faberge Egg to a Chinese 1000 yr egg: neither will nurture your soul! So, start looking at real eggs, or pay the ticket for Audio Jewelry which is the Buchy option.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
From some of the reviews I've read/seen one of the biggest reasons for the 500s is the hub and all the connectivity and flexibility it provides.

You could sort of go with the middle ground and check out the Kef LS50 wireless II.

In that size room and with the built in amps and DSP I don't think you would need a sub for either for music.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Edifier is pure abject cr@p. Personally, I don’t think the Klipsch offering is far behind.
And while I would be hard pressed to justify the ticket on the Buchys, they are at least putting out a more robust effort for accurate and neutral speakers.
If your goal is to listen critically, or if you have any desire to have speakers which will faithfully reproduced the recorded event, you need to change your perspective and start shopping for the better Studio Monitors.
Right now, what you are doing is comparing a Faberge Egg to a Chinese 1000 yr egg: neither will nurture your soul! So, start looking at real eggs, or pay the ticket for Audio Jewelry which is the Buchy option.
Goal isn't to listen critically...just looking for a good pair of powered speakers for movies/music in the bedroom that's " bang for the buck " where I don't have to setup anymore separate component's thus the powered preference. Tried the soundbar route and just didn't like it at all. I already have a dedicated HT room ( 7.2.4 setup-front projector/Denon X3700H/dual SVS subs ).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Slightly different spin: a little bit ago, I shopped for replacing my computer speakers. Mind, this is in the same room as my main rig, so SQ was not the point (yes, I wanted something that would sound 'good' when I was surfing YT or whatever, but since I don't game or watch movies on my computer nothing else was an issue). I looked at Studio Monitors knowing I needed something small due to placement issues, so that ruled out anything with good bass response (Monitors with 8" woofers, for example). I then needed to replace the Bass module of the previous Logitech 2.1 THX thing ;) and all the sudden I was looking at $500-700 of lower end gear to replace a quite adequate sound solution for my needs.
I decided to try the Klipsch 2.1 THX system instead. Same price and basic specs of the Logitech. Boom, done.

What you are asking us to compare for you are two completely different things, and so I have to ask: where are your values at? I won't judge you if you say you went on and got the 5s. It's your system and your ducats! :) But when you say between these two and you but the Buchy system up there, well, there's no contest. The Buchardts will dominate Klipsch, Edifier, and anything else in that category.

So...
Between Klipsch and Edifier, I would get the Klipsch. I've heard them: they are OK. AudioEngine A5+ would be another in this category that I would recommend. I did shop Edifier and cannot offer anything but contempt for them.
You will want a Sub to add to these systems. They will not perform low. Mind, I'm not talking about infrasonic stuff, but just getting down low enough to enjoy action movies or whatever. Similar to the way my Logitech and Klipsch 2.1 THX systems have a "Sub" (which I prefer to think of as a bass module). For you, that would be like an 8-10" Sub that can get you into the low 20Hz range, and be able to overlap and blend into the speakers you choose. Again, not a requirement, but I know for myself, those little monitors will not satisfy the bass requirement that I would expect, on their own.

For me, I would look at better monitors... something in between the Klipsch/Audioengine category and the Buchardt category. And I would look for something that I could add a Sub in with if I wasn't satisfied with bass response.

This may be helpful to help you decide which direction you may want to go:

Cheers! :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know, just doubt they're in the same class as the ones I mentioned. Whether the price is worth it to you....that's another matter. Personally I'd lean to JBL LSRs over Klipsch....

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Slightly different spin: a little bit ago, I shopped for replacing my computer speakers. Mind, this is in the same room as my main rig, so SQ was not the point (yes, I wanted something that would sound 'good' when I was surfing YT or whatever, but since I don't game or watch movies on my computer nothing else was an issue). I looked at Studio Monitors knowing I needed something small due to placement issues, so that ruled out anything with good bass response (Monitors with 8" woofers, for example). I then needed to replace the Bass module of the previous Logitech 2.1 THX thing ;) and all the sudden I was looking at $500-700 of lower end gear to replace a quite adequate sound solution for my needs.
I decided to try the Klipsch 2.1 THX system instead. Same price and basic specs of the Logitech. Boom, done.

What you are asking us to compare for you are two completely different things, and so I have to ask: where are your values at? I won't judge you if you say you went on and got the 5s. It's your system and your ducats! :) But when you say between these two and you but the Buchy system up there, well, there's no contest. The Buchardts will dominate Klipsch, Edifier, and anything else in that category.

So...
Between Klipsch and Edifier, I would get the Klipsch. I've heard them: they are OK. AudioEngine A5+ would be another in this category that I would recommend. I did shop Edifier and cannot offer anything but contempt for them.
You will want a Sub to add to these systems. They will not perform low. Mind, I'm not talking about infrasonic stuff, but just getting down low enough to enjoy action movies or whatever. Similar to the way my Logitech and Klipsch 2.1 THX systems have a "Sub" (which I prefer to think of as a bass module). For you, that would be like an 8-10" Sub that can get you into the low 20Hz range, and be able to overlap and blend into the speakers you choose. Again, not a requirement, but I know for myself, those little monitors will not satisfy the bass requirement that I would expect, on their own.

For me, I would look at better monitors... something in between the Klipsch/Audioengine category and the Buchardt category. And I would look for something that I could add a Sub in with if I wasn't satisfied with bass response.

This may be helpful to help you decide which direction you may want to go:

Cheers! :D
Thanks really for taking the time to offer advice. Since you said to look for something in between...so the KEF wireless perhaps? LS50 wireless 2 or the LSX? The main reason I'm looking for powered one's is coz like I mentioned earlier I've already got a dedicated HT room so I'm looking for a sort of do-it-all set of speakers. And this is for a bedroom setup. Actually mainly for watching movies with some music. And since it'll be a bedroom setup so no acoustic treatments. Just bare walls. That's why the Buchardt A500 got me interested coz the reviews I've seen so far rave about the Master Tuning/room correction that will most probably help with the problems that an untreated room will present. I know it's quite expensive similar to the B&W formation duo. I've actually gotten in touch with Mads Buchardt which is quite fascinating that the owner/ceo of the company responds to his customers personally and that they will soon be coming out with the A300...similar to the A500 but smaller with a 5" woofer ( A500 is 6" ). Price will be about $3,000 so that's $1,500 cheaper than the A500 and close to the KEF LS 50 Wireless 2 price.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
I know, just doubt they're in the same class as the ones I mentioned. Whether the price is worth it to you....that's another matter. Personally I'd lean to JBL LSRs over Klipsch....
Ive checked the JBL LSR's and the drawback is lack of inputs. No ARC or Optical inputs that I can connect from the TV. It does have a balanced input but prefer not to convert connections. Bedroom TV is an LG OLED 55 which has eARC and Optical out. Wanna use the powered speakers instead of the TV's internal speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ive checked the JBL LSR's and the drawback is lack of inputs. No ARC or Optical inputs that I can connect from the TV. It does have a balanced input but prefer not to convert connections. Bedroom TV is an LG OLED 55 which has eARC and Optical out. Wanna use the powered speakers instead of the TV's internal speakers.
Yeah I was just thinking of basic speaker functionality, not connectivity options that aren't normal with active speakers (well, there are some, believe the LS50 wireless from Kef has such options).....I always have other gear to support use of speakers. The Klipsch just aren't generally my flavor of speaker....

C

ciotime

Audioholic
I saw an offer for the KEF LS50 wireless at $1,600. It's a lot cheaper compared to the KEF LS50 wireless 2. Do you guys think getting the KEF LS50 wireless at this price is a good deal? Or might as well spend the extra cash and get the KEF LS50 wireless 2?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are there any active speakers with hdmi/ARC, tho? That's hard to imagine outside of a soundbar....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I saw an offer for the KEF LS50 wireless at $1,600. It's a lot cheaper compared to the KEF LS50 wireless 2. Do you guys think getting the KEF LS50 wireless at this price is a good deal? Or might as well spend the extra cash and get the KEF LS50 wireless 2?
I have no idea what the differences even are, but the LS50 generally gets a lot of good comments. Not capable of very high spl and need a sub, but adequate and with good imaging is the take-away I come away with.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
I have no idea what the differences even are, but the LS50 generally gets a lot of good comments. Not capable of very high spl and need a sub, but adequate and with good imaging is the take-away I come away with.
Re the HDMI/ARC so far what I know has them is the Kef LS50 W 2 and the Klipsch the FIVES. The Buchardt A500 has them as well but on the hub. It's fine though coz I can just use the Optical/Toslink connection if there aint any HDMIs. Also I don't need high SPL's coz I'm gonna be using them for the bedroom.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Re the HDMI/ARC so far what I know has them is the Kef LS50 W 2 and the Klipsch the FIVES. The Buchardt A500 has them as well but on the hub. It's fine though coz I can just use the Optical/Toslink connection if there aint any HDMIs.
Without the multich considerations can't imagine the hdmi has any advantages, tho.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well with the HDMI connection at least one can control the volume using the TV's remote.
LOL never even thought of that...not something I'd see as a "feature" as I have better ways of going about it (but not applicable to the limited system you're using)

C

ciotime

Audioholic
LOL never even thought of that...not something I'd see as a "feature" as I have better ways of going about it (but not applicable to the limited system you're using)
I think I'm just gonna go and try the Buchardt's. Anyway if I don't like them I can always return them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis