Mixing and matching speakers

C

ChazC59

Audiophyte
I've never built out a HT before. I have various components that I've used for music and/or TV but it's essentially always been in stereo or 3.1. I have a pair of vintage JBL L100 Century speakers. I would like to use these as my front L & R pair. I have a pair of M & K bookshelfs I'd like to use as my rears and an inexpensive Velodyne sub. I need to add a center. I'm going to use my Pioneer VSX-919AH receiver initially. I have an LG 55" 4K UHD TV. I realize this is a hodgepodge of gear but am I kidding myself thinking this will all sound okay when put together? Tonally I know it could be all over the place. Any suggestions for a center speaker? What about a sub upgrade and a receiver upgrade? If I did all three at once I'd like to keep the number somewhere under $1,500. For the receiver I would probably go 7.2 so I would have the option of adding ATMOS speaks at some point. Thanks in advance for your input.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not familiar with your speakers, but after a quick search it appears your JBLs are still fetching a pretty penny on the used market. Using a different brand for surround speakers is perfectly fine, but you do want try to match the front 3. That may be the challenge here. Ideally a third L100 would be perfect, but also perfectly impractical, lol. I would contact JBL and see if they have any suggestions. There's always just going with a phantom center too, which I've found works just about as well unless you're sitting way off to the side.

As far as the receiver, that's going to depend on a few things. If your current receiver is capable of doing what you want to now, there's no real need to change it unless you're outdated or limited.

In closing I think that yes, your system has potential to sound pretty good! If you're happy with the JBLs I think a sub upgrade would be my next move. How big is your room?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've never built out a HT before. I have various components that I've used for music and/or TV but it's essentially always been in stereo or 3.1. I have a pair of vintage JBL L100 Century speakers. I would like to use these as my front L & R pair. I have a pair of M & K bookshelfs I'd like to use as my rears and an inexpensive Velodyne sub. I need to add a center. I'm going to use my Pioneer VSX-919AH receiver initially. I have an LG 55" 4K UHD TV. I realize this is a hodgepodge of gear but am I kidding myself thinking this will all sound okay when put together? Tonally I know it could be all over the place. Any suggestions for a center speaker? What about a sub upgrade and a receiver upgrade? If I did all three at once I'd like to keep the number somewhere under $1,500. For the receiver I would probably go 7.2 so I would have the option of adding ATMOS speaks at some point. Thanks in advance for your input.
Those JBLs will be a hard match. Those speakers were the home version of the "West Coast Sound" popularized by JBL, EV and Altec Lansing who were based in the West Coast. This was in contrast to the East Coast sound of KLH, Advent etc. who were moving much more to the British Sound. The "West Coast" sound is very inaccurate, but some still like it. It is only suitable for the music from the pop culture and especially of the 60s and 70s. The horn loaded monitors of the time were from JBL, Altec and especially Westlake. So these speakers were what I have always called a "Bore a hole in your head variety". Most pop music of the time was mixed with these speakers which had large sectoral horns for the top end. crossing anywhere from 500 to 1000 Hz. Some like the Westlake designs had mid and HF horns. Time has moved towards the British sound, and now the best of studios are proud of their monitor systems designed by ATC. You can't get more British than that.

Those JBL speakers you have, have paper mids and crossed at 1500 Hz and 6 KHz. This drives them well into the break up mode of paper cone drivers.

So getting a matching center will be a huge problem, as I know of no center speaker that would have a response remotely close to those JBL speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This is definitely an interesting one. Imo, if all you can do is a Frankenstein, then that’s all you can do. I’ve had some like that. While not perfect, they were definitely listenable and fun. I definitely agree with the guys about matching. Ime, it absolutely does make a difference.

But don’t let great be the enemy of good.

For matching a center? Ryan’s point is solid. Those older JBL’s had a sound for sure. So as pogre said, contacting JBL, (or iirc there’s a vintage Harmon group. Can’t remember the name) for a recommendation would be good. Best option would be to find a third one(or iirc they just released an updated version which might match). Then let mcacc do it’s thing and see how you like it. I’ve never liked Phantom center mode, but could work if you stay on axis(centered)
I think what you might try is use the current pioneer, and MK books as you mentioned. Try phantom center, or run to the pawn shop, or check Craigslist for an L100, something else to try and just see what you can do.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW your 919 can easily be a 7.2 avr....just use a splitter for the two subs. It won't separately adjust for delay/level but many "7.2" avrs don't either because all they have is an internal splitter (there are some that can do the separate level/delay, tho). You can go ahead and see how your JBLs and M&K speakers work with a phantom center for now. The mains are more important for matching than the surrounds, altho matched surrounds can be nicer for multich music IME. Can't tell you what might work out for center (unless you can find a third L100 perhaps or something similar like a 4310 or 4311....go west coast sound :) ), or if you must have a horizontal type to fit, but I've used "what I've got" a few times (and still do in a few setups due to the trickle down effect from my main setups). Some just skip the center altogether; personally I prefer to use one.

Which Velodyne sub do you have?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW your 919 can easily be a 7.2 avr....just use a splitter for the two subs. It won't separately adjust for delay/level but many "7.2" avrs don't either because all they have is an internal splitter (there are some that can do the separate level/delay, tho). You can go ahead and see how your JBLs and M&K speakers work with a phantom center for now. The mains are more important for matching than the surrounds, altho matched surrounds can be nicer for multich music IME. Can't tell you what might work out for center (unless you can find a third L100 perhaps or something similar like a 4310 or 4311....go west coast sound :) ), or if you must have a horizontal type to fit, but I've used "what I've got" a few times (and still do in a few setups due to the trickle down effect from my main setups). Some just skip the center altogether; personally I prefer to use one.

Which Velodyne sub do you have?
Oh yeah forgot to ask about the sub.
My clutch is slipping...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis