Alternative outdoor speakers to Klipsch AW-650's?

W

Westin Jones

Enthusiast
Im thinking about getting Klipsch AW-650's for outdoor use, but wanted to see if anyone has thoughts on other options. They are 400 on amazon new, 330 used. Looking for something less than that. Open to (like-new) used gear.

Now I'm looking at these OSD AP650, which are much cheaper at 160 new. On paper, the specs are better. 150W vs 85W on the Klipsch (unless this is a Peak vs RMS spec? Which i couldn't find for the OSD). And the OSD claims to go down to 37HZ vs the Klipsch 70. The OSD are twice the weight, which is sorta annoying, but not a deal breaker. Is the Klipsch price just in the brand name? How are OSD products? I've never owned any.

There seems to be some reliability/build complaints in the comments on the OSD. But also I am not putting these in direct contact with moisture. They will be under a covered deck. They will be exposed to heat/humidity and cold. But shouldn't even get wet directly.

Thanks for any thoughts!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've been happy with my Dayton IO650s (discontinued, now 655 IIRC) and the price is even better :) Maybe now I'd have gone for their IO800 instead, too.

Not familiar with Outdoor Speaker Depot offerings at all, heavier might be an indicator of a more substantial cabinet, tho. The Klipsch I've only seen mention of (and generally good comments fwiw). I suspect the Klipsch might get louder and yes you might be paying a premium somewhat for the brand (not that it particularly deserves it). Outdoors lower bass is going to be somewhat lost so wouldn't worry about it too much altho I'd prefer one with a bit more capability, but with 6.5" drivers....only so much you're gonna get outdoors.

Speaker wattage ratings often are sketchy and they don't mean a lot anyways beyond the level at which you incur damage, better to use the impedance/sensitivity of the speaker as a guide to a suitable amp or expected performance (keep in mind Klipsch tends to overstate their sensitivity figures, tho not sure if for an outdoor speaker they'd do the same spec basis as they do for their speakers intended for in-room as is their normal method). At 95dB even if overstated by the usual 4-5dB they're still relatively sensitive. Better to not use a retailer's page for info but rather the manufacturer's like these, too.

https://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/6-5-inch-outdoor-patio-speaker-pair-70v-black-white-ap650.html (scroll down for spec)

W

Westin Jones

Enthusiast
Oh wait, I was looking at the 800's not the 650's. These might be perfect.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They're not spl monsters but I have mine tucked under my roof out on my deck for 5 years now I think it is....but can get reasonably loud.

W

Westin Jones

Enthusiast
Weird that the 800's are $150 each, and the 650's are $100 for a pair. Seems like a big price difference.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Weird that the 800's are $150 each, and the 650's are $100 for a pair. Seems like a big price difference.
I'd never seen the 800s before today, but it does also have a transformer for 70V use (distribution system style) as well as a larger box and driver, probably simply costs more and perhaps sells in smaller quantities, too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Couldn't tell ya myself. The passive radiator design could be interesting, could also be a longevity issue. DT is known for fudging low end spec, too. I've lived far away from auditioning possibilities so I takes my chances with general user comments and an internet order with a good return policy for the most part. Didn't want to return the 650s (can you still get those?).

W

Westin Jones

Enthusiast
Yeah looks bad. I think I might just stick with the Klipsch or maybe the Dayton’s. Thanks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis