Buchardt A500 vs Bowers & Wilkins Formation Duo

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Quite curious about these 2 powered speakers. Both about the same price point. Anyone here who's had experience with both speakers? Which one would you choose?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Where are you located?

This isn't a brand that's known in the US, so most of us won't be able to help- maybe Trell or someone will come along and see this.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmm, Burchard A500 has twitter, 6" woofer, and a 6" "subwoofer" and yet they claim 25hz-40khz +/- 1.5db ???
Sounds very fishy to me

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Darko reviewed it...downloadable tuning/DSP...also has a 45 day return policy.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Hmm, Burchard A500 has twitter, 6" woofer, and a 6" "subwoofer" and yet they claim 25hz-40khz +/- 1.5db ???
Sounds very fishy to me
Rear also has a 6" driver...

Tweeter: 1 x 0,74" Custom fine weave soft fabric textile with CDC aluminum waveguide

Mid / woofer: 1 x 6" linear long stroke paper cone

Rear / subwoofer: 1 x 6" linear long stroke paper cone

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Where are you located?

This isn't a brand that's known in the US, so most of us won't be able to help- maybe Trell or someone will come along and see this.
Yeah its a Danish brand. Anyway do you think the Bowers & Wilkins Formation Duo are worth the $4000 price? The Klipsch Five's are also powered speakers at only $800. Are the B&W's $3200 better?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Rear also has a 6" driver...

Tweeter: 1 x 0,74" Custom fine weave soft fabric textile with CDC aluminum waveguide

Mid / woofer: 1 x 6" linear long stroke paper cone

Rear / subwoofer: 1 x 6" linear long stroke paper cone
If you read my original post more carefully, I didn't miss the extra 6" "subwoofer". That doesn't change the fact I still think it's borderline physics breaking or to be more polite - a bit overly enthusiastic.

If that kind of stash to drop on pair of speakers, I'd be looking at Philharmonic Audio/Salk BMR monitors.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
If you read my original post more carefully, I didn't miss the extra 6" "subwoofer". That doesn't change the fact I still think it's borderline physics breaking or to be more polite - a bit overly enthusiastic.

If that kind of stash to drop on pair of speakers, I'd be looking at Philharmonic Audio/Salk BMR monitors.
What do you think the Bowers & Wilkins Formation Duo are worth the $4000 price? The Klipsch Five's are also powered speakers at only $800. Are the B&W's $3200 better?

C

ciotime

Audioholic

I'm also looking for powered speakers...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
There are hundreds of powered or active speakers (these aren't the same thing btw).
What your specific needs and wants? What's the typical usage? How big is your room and how loud do you like to listen?

highfigh

highfigh

Yeah its a Danish brand. Anyway do you think the Bowers & Wilkins Formation Duo are worth the $4000 price? The Klipsch Five's are also powered speakers at only $800. Are the B&W's $3200 better?
I saw that it's a Danish brand, but that doesn't tell anyone where you live. If you're in Denmark, look at Dynaudio.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
There are hundreds of powered or active speakers (these aren't the same thing btw).
What your specific needs and wants? What's the typical usage? How big is your room and how loud do you like to listen?
I took a look at the website and it say's it's ACTIVE speakers ( Amplifiers: 3 x 150/330 watt RMS/Peak class D (each speaker) ). Bedroom is about 16'X16'...music & movies 50/50...I'm usually about -10dB on my Denon AVR in my dedicated Home Theater room. I've never owned any Active speaker's before so not much idea how to choose. I'm just curious about the A500 coz it has room correction+downloadable DSP/tuning setting's. I think as of today there's about 10 different settings and future tunings as well.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
I saw that it's a Danish brand, but that doesn't tell anyone where you live. If you're in Denmark, look at Dynaudio.
Oh I'm from the Philippines...I'm also looking at the Dynaudio Xeo 10/20.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
16x16' - a small square room - you're going to have a bad time getting speakers to sound good in it
At these fairly high budgets, you'd be much better off treating room, not messing with speakers DSP.

In the end, one thing to remember, speakers are responsible for 85% of sound quality. 10% room, 5% electronics+source.
Buy the best speakers you could afford first. Again, if you want the best possible bookshelves and not waste money needlessly, Philharmonic BMR is one to get.

highfigh

highfigh

16x16' - a small square room - you're going to have a bad time getting speakers to sound good in it
At these fairly high budgets, you'd be much better off treating room, not messing with speakers DSP.

In the end, one thing to remember, speakers are responsible for 85% of sound quality. 10% room, 5% electronics+source.
Buy the best speakers you could afford first. Again, if you want the best possible bookshelves and not waste money needlessly, Philharmonic BMR is one to get.
But he lives in the Phillipines, so shipping will be expensive.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Side note, because the BMR (current iteration) is so popular in Taiwan, there may be a better shipping alternative through Dennis' partner. @ciotime if you are at all interested in that, you should reach out to Philharmonic Audio and see if Dennis or his partner can answer the availability question. :)

I know Buchardt has gotten a lot of buzz since coming on the scene. Reviews have been a mixed bag.

I wouldn't buy the Klipsch or B&W options. Neither speaker manufacturer is known for making neutral or accurate speakers.

You say you want powered.active speakers? Why, please? depending on your needs, there is of course, a large market in studio monitors. There has been a lot of attention given them here at AH lately, too. Perhaps an option for you there? :)

Last edited:
C

ciotime

Audioholic
But he lives in the Phillipines, so shipping will be expensive.
Yeah it will be. Not to mention the 30% customs duties tax. That's why I got interested in the Buchardt coz they offer free shipping as well as taxes covered. I know the speaker's are expensive but really haven't yet decided on getting them. The Dynaudio XEO 10/20 is available in my country but will have to do further research.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Side note, because the BMR (current iteration) is so popular in Taiwan, there may be a better shipping alternative throu Dennis' partner. @ciotime if you are at all interested in that, you should reach out to Philharmonic Audio and see if Dennis or his partner can answer the availability question. :)

I know Buchardt has gotten a lot of buzz since coming on the seen. Reviews have been a mixed bag.

I wouldn't buy the Klipsch or B&W options. Neither speaker manufacturer is known for making neutral or accurate speakers.

You say you want powered.active speakers? Why, please? depending on your needs, there is of course, a large market in studio monitors. There has been a lot of attention given them here at AH lately, too. Perhaps an option for you there? :)
I just recently have been interested in powered/active speakers for their simplicity. No need to get a separate amp etc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might look into Genelec for good active speakers, perhaps even some JBLs (like the 708). I've seen mostly good reports on the Buchardts. Haven't really heard of the B&W actives at all but then they're not even on my radar generally.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
I'm just wondering that the Buchardt A500 retails for about $4500 while Klipsch the Fives at about $800. I know they are not the same category of speakers and have no doubt that the Buchardts are better. But are they $3700 BETTER?????

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis