Find me some good desktop speakers

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Correct. Using an unbalanced audio output from a motherboard is a recipe for disaster with a speaker like those powered monitors.
That's what I figured. A decent USB DAC shouldn't be hard to come by. Topping makes a few that look decent.

EDIT: I should also say I've got a headphone out on my DAC/AMP that I could use for the time being. Powered isn't off the table at all.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't have to be active. In fact, if they aren't, it'd save me some effort since I've already got a decent desktop amp.
I always liked my DefTech Promonitor 1000s, so I did a quick search for specs and saw ASR actually measured them. I cannot in clean conscience recommend them to anyone anymore. Hyperbole aside they didn't do too well... lol.

They can be found half price fairly often but yeah... just pass.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I didn't say this in the first post, but I'm not opposed to building anything either. Just got a bunch of crap out of the garage and discovered I have some 1/2" or 3/4" MDF in a full sheet.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't say this in the first post, but I'm not opposed to building anything either. Just got a bunch of crap out of the garage and discovered I have some 1/2" or 3/4" MDF in a full sheet.
Oh, that might be fun!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Maybe the Overnight Sensations, would that be in the right "size" neighborhood? https://www.parts-express.com/Overnight-Sensations-MT-Speaker-Pair-Kit-300-706
Hmm. That's a good deal. Especially since it comes with the cabinet. I may have found my kit.

I usually look to meniscus audio for speaker kits (just because they've got so many I want to build) so I didn't think to look at PE. That kit on meniscus is much more expensive and doesn't come with a cabinet.

https://meniscusaudio.com/product/overnight-sensation-loudspeaker-kit/

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis