Find me some good desktop speakers

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hey guys, a recent article by @shadyJ got me thinking about my desktop setup. It's fine. I want it to be better than fine.

I've currently got 2 JBL AESS5 that are very nice for what they are, but there is little to no bass and not enough midrange at all. The tweeters are excellent for such a cheap speaker.

I don't want anything huge just because I don't want them to dominate my desk space. I do want them to have some decent bass down to maybe 80hz or so. Lower than that isn't necessary honestly since their job is to provide audio for games and some music. If I really want to blow things up in my office I can always use the 5.1 setup that is also there, but it's for the TV, not my gaming PC.

So, I'm sticking to 2.1 and they'll be powered by my Kanto Yaro2 Amp and listening is ~2ft or so. My JBL Studio 550 will handle the sub duties.

Must haves would be a good to excellent tweeter and good midrange/bass down to around 80hz.

Not looking to spend a lot here since they are probably the least used speakers in my house next to those that aren't hooked up, but when they are used dynamics is important, but brightness is bad. Budget would be around $200/pr.

Any thoughts?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
We actually have a very substantial article coming that is a guide for setting up a desktop sound system. It will probably be published in a few weeks.

There are some JBL Stage speakers in your price range, Stage A120s and Stage A130s. I think those would be decent. These Cambridge Audio speakers might be OK, although the sensitivity spec is laughably implausible. These PSBs might be OK. Some Dayton MK402Xs might be worth a try, and if you are happy with those, that would save you a couple of extra nickles. You could also just go active and get these JBL LSRs. Those will definitely have sufficient dynamic range as well as extension.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
We actually have a very substantial article coming that is a guide for setting up a desktop sound system. It will probably be published in a few weeks.

There are some JBL Stage speakers in your price range, Stage A120s and Stage A130s. I think those would be decent. These Cambridge Audio speakers might be OK, although the sensitivity spec is laughably implausible. These PSBs might be OK. Some Dayton MK402Xs might be worth a try, and if you are happy with those, that would save you a couple of extra nickles. You could also just go active and get these JBL LSRs. Those will definitely have sufficient dynamic range as well as extension.
Since you mentioned the JBL LSR may I assume that the article will include a number of powered monitors as well?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
For Passive speakers, what about pair of Ascend CBM-170 SE or HSU's HB-1 MK2?

For active setups:
@panteragstk Did you took a look at Vanatoo?
and small cousin:
and if you could score a good deal on getting used LSRs like my 2326p, I could only offer the highest praise for them in dynamics terms. AB Amps in my older LSR aren't nearly as hissy as D amps in newer 305 models.

Also, I've seen Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX on sale at Costco as low as $89.99 (sale price isn't online and it fluctuates per store)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Since you mentioned the JBL LSR may I assume that the article will include a number of powered monitors as well?
Well, the article isn't really about equipment recommendations but more like how to set up a desktop speaker system for the best results. But it has recommendations on how to handle powered speakers versus passive speakers.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Well, the article isn't really about equipment recommendations but more like how to set up a desktop speaker system for the best results. But it has recommendations on how to handle powered speakers versus passive speakers.
Thanks, my bad for reading what I wanted as opposed to what you actually wrote :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I definitely recommend the 305’s. You can find them open box or on sale for pretty cheap. They’re not be all end all, but I was very impressed with their imaging and clarity. They have boundary compensation options, and as shady mentioned, HF trim. Very good speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not much good here. My powered speaker knowledge is pretty limited, but I was gonna suggest one of the JBL 3-somethings. Still gonna tag your thread tho, since you're one of my forum buddies. Plus I might learn something. :cool:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not much good here. My powered speaker knowledge is pretty limited, but I was gonna suggest one of the JBL 3-somethings. Still gonna tag your thread tho, since you're one of my forum buddies. Plus I might learn something. :cool:
Don't have to be active. In fact, if they aren't, it'd save me some effort since I've already got a decent desktop amp.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

The JBL 305 you linked would probably be the winner if they weren't active. Just because I would rather keep my desktop amp since I would have to get a DAC or pro audio interface to run them. I'm not plugging those into my motherboard sound card.

I like the passive JBLs you linked, but I haven't heard their aluminum tweeter.

The Cambridge Audio looks very nice. Smaller too, but doesn't seem to sacrifice lower end.

I have to admit I'm curious about the Daytons. They're so cheap it'd be an easy buy.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I definitely recommend the 305’s. You can find them open box or on sale for pretty cheap. They’re not be all end all, but I was very impressed with their imaging and clarity. They have boundary compensation options, and as shady mentioned, HF trim. Very good speakers.
That's high on the list. I'd just hate to use them with my built in sound card. It's supposed to be "high-fi" but that doesn't change the hostile rf environment around it being inside a pc.

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
I wouldn't say the LSR305's measures "astonishingly well." They measure fine for the cost. I would definitely take down the HF Trim switch by 2dB, unless you like hot treble.
Agreed. For the price, they are hard to beat, especially since they are often discounted to 99 bucks each. Of courser, one can do better by spending more.

If the OP was ready to spend more, I would definitely opt for something like Genelec, or some KEF LS50, if we are talking about "well" but not caring some much about price.

And yes, it's very cool that they offer flexible placement adjustments, like the HF adjustment, and others, so depending on whether you are on axis or off axis, whether they are placed near a room boundary, etc, they can be dialed in to sound good in numerous different situations.

Not as cool as Genelec's built in room EQ system, but then they are hundreds of dollars less, as well.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'd have to go with my on-board sound until I get an external DAC or something. So it'd be stereo 1/8" to 1/4" probably. Not sure how that'd sound though. My motherboard professes to have "audiophile grade audio", but we all know that a bunch of BS.
Correct. Using an unbalanced audio output from a motherboard is a recipe for disaster with a speaker like those powered monitors.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis