Amperage requirement

F

Foxchapeliron

Audioholic Intern
Is there a way to determine equivalent output of db for one speaker/amp setup versus another given same speakers? Currently I have an 8ohm speaker getting 200 watts. I am looking at a second identical speaker being hooked to the same channel of a new amp via another dedicated speaker wire and understand the load will go to 4ohm between the two. The new amp will have 250 watts available at the 4ohm load. But is this an equivalent power comparison for db output or does ohms versus watts not equate to db as straight forward as I am asking?

F

Foxchapeliron

Audioholic Intern
Is there a way to determine equivalent output of db for one speaker/amp setup versus another given same speakers? Currently I have an 8ohm speaker getting 200 watts. I am looking at a second identical speaker being hooked to the same channel of a new amp via another dedicated speaker wire and understand the load will go to 4ohm between the two. The new amp will have 250 watts available at the 4ohm load. But is this an equivalent power comparison for db output or does ohms versus watts not equate to db as straight forward as I am asking?
Sorry I did not describe that correctly. The new amp had 500 watts available at 4ohm but being the power is now split will each speaker get 250 watts and does that equate to similar db as one speaker on the smaller amp?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I would strongly advise against what you plan. The impedance rating given by a speaker manufacturer is far more often fiction than fact. An impedance is a curve and the vast majority of speakers drop to 4 ohms at some point, usually in the power band. So the odds of you having a 2 ohm load at some point in the frequency spectrum is high if you carry out your plan. It is a good way of blowing up a good amp. It is unwise to ever connect two completed speakers with a crossover in parallel. It is courting disaster.

F

Foxchapeliron

Audioholic Intern
I would strongly advise against what you plan. The impedance rating given by a speaker manufacturer is far more often fiction than fact. An impedance is a curve and the vast majority of speakers drop to 4 ohms at some point, usually in the power band. So the odds of you having a 2 ohm load at some point in the frequency spectrum is high if you carry out your plan. It is a good way of blowing up a good amp. It is unwise to ever connect two completed speakers with a crossover in parallel. It is courting disaster.
Thank you. Makes sense. Would it be possible to split the signal from preamp with an rca Y and have a second amp same model as I do now and drive the speaker or will I lose voltage splitting the preamp signal? I am determined to double up the speakers for room size and the quality of their sound but I am ignorant on the Dos and donts to accomplish it. Or do I need a preamp with two outs for each side. Two channel is what I’m doing

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well for starters DON'T parallel wire any speakers to a single amp channel unless the amp is specifically designed to be used that way. An example would be a dual voice coil woofer wired in parallel into an amp designed to handle it.

Why are you wanting to do this? What's the end goal or point? What are your speaker's sensitivity rated at? Size of your room? Amp and/or receiver?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you. Makes sense. Would it be possible to split the signal from preamp with an rca Y and have a second amp same model as I do now and drive the speaker or will I lose voltage splitting the preamp signal? I am determined to double up the speakers for room size and the quality of their sound but I am ignorant on the Dos and donts to accomplish it. Or do I need a preamp with two outs for each side. Two channel is what I’m doing
Yes, powering the two speaker sets from different power amps is the way to go. If these speakers are in the same room, then you are in serious error. That is never the way to improve results, always the reverse. If the speakers are in different rooms then your last plan makes sense, but it won't be handy, as you won't have independent volume control

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Or use an impedance protecting selector switch that will protect the amp and speakers from being damaged. I think monoprice makes some for under fifty bucks.

F

Foxchapeliron

Audioholic Intern
Yes, powering the two speaker sets from different power amps is the way to go. If these speakers are in the same room, then you are in serious error. That is never the way to improve results, always the reverse. If the speakers are in different rooms then your last plan makes sense, but it won't be handy, as you won't have independent volume control
Same room. Looking for two pairs on the left, two on the right for more of what I have. Love the sound, just want to double up. Use the same preamp is the idea, one volume control. If it can’t be done then I can’t do it. Just trying to figure out how I can and remain running pure direct out of Marantz as the preamp. Does splitting an rca signal with a y lose signal power?

F

Foxchapeliron

Audioholic Intern
Well for starters DON'T parallel wire any speakers to a single amp channel unless the amp is specifically designed to be used that way. An example would be a dual voice coil woofer wired in parallel into an amp designed to handle it.

Why are you wanting to do this? What's the end goal or point? What are your speaker's sensitivity rated at? Size of your room? Amp and/or receiver?
End goal is two sets of speakers not one set. Big shop doing metal artwork as my business. It actually sounds very good now but want to push up the power of the sound of that makes sense, not volume knob. Kind of like sound pressure level or fullness of the sound through two sets of speakers instead of one. If it can’t be done no big deal. Just exploring. Multichannel is not so much my thing. I have that in my home system

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis