Definitive Technology BP2004 TL’s after a few days

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
So I’ve been using the 2004’s for a few days now. I plan on measuring them both large and small with REW but I certainly am in the camp that Definitive Technology is overly enthusiastic about their speakers FR. they claim these towers have a lower -3dB than my dual 12” 110lb Mirage BPS-400 which doesn’t seem right. Anyways, I do a lot of gaming and movie watching. Set them as large just for a test and wasn’t impressed but I didn’t expect much. At the end of the day I ended up crossing the them over at 60hz with the subs firing outward and it seems to sound great, setup is

subs - Mirage BPS-400 dual 12” & Atlantic Technology BPM372 15”

center channel - Mirage OM-C2

Surrounds - Mirage Omni 260 towers

Height layer x4 - Mirage Omnisat

AVR - Marantz SR6011 w/Audiosource Amp one bridged for the CC (got it for $20 why not use it)

I’m currently in the process of finally turning my basement into a dedicated room so I packed away all of my typical setup besides the OM-C2.

Who else has had experience with Def Tech? Do you think large or small sounds better to you?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Def Tech's reported frequency response should always be taken with a ton of salt. They're VERY optimistic...

I'd leave them on small and make use of your subs.

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Yep, its rare that running any speaker "large" is going to be superior to a properly bass managed system with a well placed, configured subwoofer (or, ideally, two, if set up right), regardless of its frequency response capabilities, since the placement for best treble imaging is seldom the best place for bass generation, and a full range speaker means you can't properly time align, EQ, and otherwise adjust the bass response.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Thanks guys, I did measure with REW and the -3dB point is NOWHERE near what they claim. 60-80hz seems to sound the best to me, I recently got a MiniDSP and in conjunction with REW have managed some pretty solid low end FR in my room so I wasn’t expecting a pair of 10” “subwoofers” to do much especially being placed where they are.
This is why I love this forum, on other forums I read dozens of posts from people who probably haven’t even touched REW but tell every Def Tech user to run them as large or “tri-wire” them. Hahaha, all 3 pairs of wire terminate into the same binding post but yeah I’m sure it makes a difference haha. I’ve got a CLR2500 sitting around and always crossed it over at 80hz as the awkward “subwoofer” is really just a 60ohm woofer, there’s nothing sub about it, yet I was told to run it large and expect response down to the low 20’s. Absolutely insane. I get better CC sound and imaging with my 18+ year old OM-C2. I’m not bashing Def Tech as I plan on running these until I finish my basement dedicated theater room and for $100 I can’t complain but there’s so many people out there who swear a pair of powered sub towers is superior to multisub. I mean there’s empirical evidence multisub is vastly superior to the other ways of establishing even bass FR across multiple seats; I highly doubt even the highest end super towers can match that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis