Legacy Audio Focus SE

A

Aliholic

Audiophyte
Hey guys, so I am interested in purchasing the legacy audio focus SE speakers. However, I was wondering for my Yamaha processor if I should set them as Large or Small. I am planning on installing 4 additional subwoofers, svs sb16 and was wondering if small would be the best despite the loudspeaker having dual 12 inch woofers and playing down to 18HZ. If I do need to set it to large, how can I integrate the bass of the speaker with the sub, do I need minidsp for loudspeaker as well? let me know. Thanks!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If those speakers can truly play flat to 18 hz I just about don't see a need for a subwoofer!

That said, anytime incorporating a sub I set my speakers to small and let my processor handle setting a crossover. Sounds like you could get away with a pretty low crossover. I'd try out 40-60 hz and see how it sounds. Even as high as 80 hz might sound better, depending on how your speakers are interacting with your room. I know the large setting on my avr bypasses the subs altogether unless I double dip (not preferred) by setting LFE + Mains. That muddies things up in my experience tho.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I found these on Craigslist out here in the Phoenix area for almost $8000 used! Are these similar or the same as yours? Too rich for my blood, but they do look very nice.

A

Aliholic

Audiophyte
Those are the XD which are active so they need to be plugged into the wall outlet. I want the passive SE which need to be hooked up to an amplifier.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those are the XD which are active so they need to be plugged into the wall outlet. I want the passive SE which need to be hooked up to an amplifier.
Yeah, pretty awesome speakers. I'd use the small setting. That way you have a smooth transition handing off the lower frequencies to your subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can experiment with your Yamaha in terms of using a crossover and setting the speakers to small (i.e. use bass management), it should provide decent integration even if you use something like a double bass setting (forget what Yamaha calls theirs) with the speaker set to "large" and adjusting the range of the overlap. With four subs (but why sealed?) you wouldn't particularly need the Legacys for the lower bass but you might prefer it, hard to know, but the subs have more placement options. Nice speakers, I know a guy who bought a pair and supported them with subs, he loves those speakers!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
If those speakers can truly play flat to 18 hz I just about don't see a need for a subwoofer!
I doubt it. Legacy has a history of optimistic bass response claims. They probably roll off considerably below about 30Hz.

T

TOM KELLY

Audiophyte
Hey guys, so I am interested in purchasing the legacy audio focus SE speakers. However, I was wondering for my Yamaha processor if I should set them as Large or Small. I am planning on installing 4 additional subwoofers, svs sb16 and was wondering if small would be the best despite the loudspeaker having dual 12 inch woofers and playing down to 18HZ. If I do need to set it to large, how can I integrate the bass of the speaker with the sub, do I need minidsp for loudspeaker as well? let me know. Thanks!
I am in Arizona & have a pair of "MINT" Legacy Focus SEs that I might be selling.Let me know>

Regards,Tom Kelly

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis