klipsch vs ascend acoustics

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
i am trying to decide between the klipsch RP-160M or the ascend CBM170 for my new fronts in my 2ch music setup. i have a klipsch sub now. thanks

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall

(600M is the newer revision of the 160M)

Neither measured very well. I would suggest neither. Many like Klipsch because they profess to being "loud" but meh, I will take accurate any day. I can always turn the volume up.

Check out Dennis Murphy's Affordable Accuracy speakers. He's a fool for selling these at $350, but well... that's what "affordable" means I guess. Anyone else would be asking (and getting) $700 to $800 for these.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

i thought those were discontinued.
These are his newest kit.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
these charts are very informative. makes me think about my original post all over again. thanks
Do you have a specific budget in mind? Only 2 channel correct?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Here is a site with some bookshelf speaker reviews with surprising results.........
Preference Ratings & Graphs (google.com)

4 being the highest rating by this individual. Myself, I have been partial to JBL for bookshelf, over the years.
Amir’s reviews are definitely informative but need to be taken (like all reviews) with a grain of salt. Just looking at whether he recommends something is a p!ss-poor way of choosing gear.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Amir’s reviews are definitely informative but need to be taken (like all reviews) with a grain of salt. Just looking at whether he recommends something is a p!ss-poor way of choosing gear.
THIS!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
These are his newest kit.

I don’t know why that link sends us to the top of the page... post 105 in that thread is where Dennis announces the official release. I also link to his website two posts later.:)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It's a shame that the OP is stuck on passive speakers. Active speakers in this price range are so much better...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's a shame that the OP is stuck on passive speakers. Active speakers in this price range are so much better...
Whatcha have in mind Shady? I have noticed a trend toward active speakers but haven't done much research. What do you recommend in the price range that's much better?

My only concern with going active is longevity. If an amp goes you're outta luck.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

I look most closely at the smoothness of the mids and highs on and off axis. I feel like your ears will agree with your eyes in reference to the effects of huge peaks and dips in those regions.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you don't mind a little labor on your part, That Philharmonic Quick Kit for the AA+ is an absolute winner. I have a pair of his modded AA speakers, which I am slowly in process of upgrading to the AA+. As stated in that other thread linked above, the AAs are a serious upgrade above the stock kit they are based on: the addition of the new tweeter and further updating the XO make the AA+ an audiophile grade speaker... it's just not as pretty and about 1/5th the cost!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd definitely build the kit for the AA+ over the Ascend 170, no experience with the Klipsch; I did build the original BR-1 kit from Dayton, and do own 170SEs, tho.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis