Marantz 6015 Volume has to be cranked up to 85% or more to hear decent room filling sound

S

srks17

Audiophyte
I just got a Marantz 6015 to upgrade from Onkyo NR709, i observed that i have to go -11db to even get a good room filling sound. i have a 7.4 set up and its really strange and not sure how i can get this thing not to crank up that much to hear a good volume to fill the room.. Room size is about 19X 15 so its not big .. when i go around 10 to 20 db i cannot hear anything.. I read the above blog where it talks about inefficient speakers etc but i had the same speakers with my Onkyo NR709 but never had any issue.. I did try the Source Level and it does help but wondering if there is anything else that can suggested to be looked at??

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
I just got a Marantz 6015 to upgrade from Onkyo NR709, i observed that i have to go -11db to even get a good room filling sound. i have a 7.4 set up and its really strange and not sure how i can get this thing not to crank up that much to hear a good volume to fill the room.. Room size is about 19X 15 so its not big .. when i go around 10 to 20 db i cannot hear anything.. I read the above blog where it talks about inefficient speakers etc but i had the same speakers with my Onkyo NR709 but never had any issue.. I did try the Source Level and it does help but wondering if there is anything else that can suggested to be looked at??
Did you calibrate it? My denon did the same thing after resetting it to default. Volume went down all together.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

S

srks17

Audiophyte
Did you calibrate it? My denon did the same thing after resetting it to default. Volume went down all together.

Yes I Ran Audyssey -10db is good enough to fill the room. -50 -60 db i can barely hear anything.. its way low.. but isnt -10 db close to the max sound or 85% of the max sound> why do i have to max up my volume to watch a movie with decent sound? also is it not impacting the receiver in long run or my speakers>>
Regarding my Levels Set up by Audyssey I have LCR around -3.0 DB, SUB for -6.5 db and Sourround for -3.5 db and Surround Back L - 2.5 db and Surround back R -1.5 db.
Please suggest what can be done here.. when upgrading from my onkyo i thought i was going to be getting better but seems like i am getting less

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Yes I Ran Audyssey -10db is good enough to fill the room. -50 -60 db i can barely hear anything.. its way low.. but isnt -10 db close to the max sound or 85% of the max sound> why do i have to max up my volume to watch a movie with decent sound? also is it not impacting the receiver in long run or my speakers>>
Regarding my Levels Set up by Audyssey I have LCR around -3.0 DB, SUB for -6.5 db and Sourround for -3.5 db and Surround Back L - 2.5 db and Surround back R -1.5 db.
Please suggest what can be done here.. when upgrading from my onkyo i thought i was going to be getting better but seems like i am getting less
I suggest doing the following:

Set(Reference offset) dynamic eq to 0 db and set dynamic volume to light or off.

Set dialogue volume to 3 db.
Also keep the auddysey to reference.

You need to use audyssey, with off the volume is low.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That sounds about right for Marantz. You have a non problem. It is of no consequence what the number on the volume control is. After calibration my Marantz pre/pro runs between -9 and -13 db, as a rule depending on source. This is nothing at all to get bent out of shape about. It is to be expected.

JackstrawfromWichita

JackstrawfromWichita

Enthusiast
That sounds about right for Marantz. You have a non problem. It is of no consequence what the number on the volume control is. After calibration my Marantz pre/pro runs between -9 and -13 db, as a rule depending on source. This is nothing at all to get bent out of shape about. It is to be expected.
Same. New owner of a 7705 Processor, and it's not unusual to have to raise volume to +70 for certain viewing material. My prior processor (Emotiva UMC 200) was different, but no concerns with having to do so on the Marantz....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The volume scale isn't linear either, it's dB based so not sure how you come up with 85% power. If you're at -11, changing it to -8 uses double the power or lowering it to -14 reduces use by 50%. The goal of the reference volume scale is such that at "0" you're at THX reference levels (85dB average with allowance for 20dB peaks), which is quite loud, but would take 10x the power to go from say -10 to 0.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Same. New owner of a 7705 Processor, and it's not unusual to have to raise volume to +70 for certain viewing material. My prior processor (Emotiva UMC 200) was different, but no concerns with having to do so on the Marantz....
Personally never faced this issue on a yamaha AVR, you guys arent using the 0 db reference offset thats why the volume is too low.
Set that god damm setting to 0 db and boost the dialogue volume up few notches.
Also if you still feel the volume is low adjust the Dynamic volume to light or Off. Actually light did the job for me on Denon X2300W.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Max Volume setting are directly related to Channel trim settings... For example, if a channel trim is set @ +7dB, then Max volume setting will be -7dB lower....

Just my $0.02... ;)

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Max Volume setting are directly related to Channel trim settings... For example, if a channel trim is set @ +7dB, then Max volume setting will be -7dB lower....

Just my $0.02... ;)
Setting the channel trim to 7 dB will be too loud but if it helps why not? Personally, I just changed it to 3 dB for the ARC, and the volume around 50 is loud enough. I think on Denon too, it was somewhere around the same volume 50.

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
Personally never faced this issue on a yamaha AVR, you guys arent using the 0 db reference offset thats why the volume is too low.
Set that god damm setting to 0 db and boost the dialogue volume up few notches.
Also if you still feel the volume is low adjust the Dynamic volume to light or Off. Actually light did the job for me on Denon X2300W.

Are you talking about Reference Level Offset? If so that has to do the DEQ which has to do with bass compensation at low volume. Nothing to do with volume level. Volume at -10 is quite normal as that is 10db less than reference. Reference Level is quite loud for most people in a domestic environment.
I tried to follow what you have been recommending but it just doesn’t seem to make any sense from my experience.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis