Elac Adante Sub Sale!

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Funk also builds their own drivers and amps....gonna cost ya! Their woodworking/finish skills are known to be top notch.
While i have no doubt that a funk audio sub may sound ok, i think i may also hear a hssssssss hsssssss (the sound of a fat anaconda/king cobra/whatever) when i'm playing it.....And my empty wallet would further amplify that hssssssss hsssssssss sound.....bwaaaahahaha

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Their drivers are handbuilt and are some of the best that money can buy. Everything on them is about as premium as you can get. They are expensive but they are not over-priced subs. If you want to see over-priced, look at Wilson Audio's subs or Magico's Q-subs.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Their drivers are handbuilt and are some of the best that money can buy. Everything on them is about as premium as you can get. They are expensive but they are not over-priced subs. If you want to see over-priced, look at Wilson Audio's subs or Magico's Q-subs.
Valid point!!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lemmerhirt, it's not just the dsp...While we all acknowledge that Rythmik and Danny Richie can make some great subs (when they collaborate), these Elacs were made by Andrew fookin Jones......Fookk,,,,now, i need to have these.....
Cmon now. I was addressing John Parks who mentioned the dsp/app control. That’s all. As far as Andrew Jones..meh ok. His budget pioneers are ok, and even the Elacs are ok. But subs? No.
No thanks.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Cmon now. I was addressing John Parks who mentioned the dsp/app control. That’s all. As far as Andrew Jones..meh ok. His budget pioneers are ok, and even the Elacs are ok. But subs? No.
No thanks.
Ya gotta go a bit higher in price than his ultra budget pioneers or budget elacs to get the feel for what he's capable of. A guy can only do so much if you give him a speaker budget that's no higher than the price of 4 cocktails on a friday afternoon. As far as his subs go, don't be quick to dismiss it. This subwoofer's predecessor, the sub2070 won the EISA award over the other aubs out there (not all that trivial, i suppose).

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I do not believe the Monolith line has DSP, auto EQ and room correction via a phone app (i.e., feature set) which was part of my question. Granted, they are awesome subs from everything I have read, but the compo is not apples to apples...
And the monolith's ugly ugly ugly...ugly like a Raccoon's butt cheeks.....bwaaahahaha (Monolith fanboys like @shadyJ will be out for my bluddd in 10....9....8.....7) bwaaaaahahaha
Your right the monolith doesn't have room correction via a phone app. Personally i don't need it and im sure many others are the same.
As to your comment about the not Apples to Apples comparison, guess that depends on how you look at it. I'm all about price to performance ratio. No added bells and whistles needed if not absolutely necessary. I was just trying to provide one example for you as there are others. Was Not trying to convince you to not get the Elac.

As to the Monoliths looking ugly, i can see how that could be to some. (but they do look better in person)
I have to admit i always get a good chuckle when people start talking about how a piece of audio gear looks. I couldn't give a rats ass myself. It's supposed to be and should be about how it sounds. To me the look of the audio product should be the very last factor on the check list of requirements. Unfortunately sometimes the WAF does come into play and can't be avoided. But for an audiophile, looks shouldn't be a factor. Just my $.02
In the end get what makes you happy and enjoy the music.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Your right the monolith doesn't have room correction via a phone app. Personally i don't need it and im sure many others are the same.
As to your comment about the not Apples to Apples comparison, guess that depends on how you look at it. I'm all about price to performance ratio. No added bells and whistles needed if not absolutely necessary. I was just trying to provide one example for you as there are others. Was Not trying to convince you to not get the Elac.

As to the Monoliths looking ugly, i can see how that could be to some. (but they do look better in person)
I have to admit i always get a good chuckle when people start talking about how a piece of audio gear looks. I couldn't give a rats ass myself. It's supposed to be and should be about how it sounds. To me the look of the audio product should be the very last factor on the check list of requirements. Unfortunately sometimes the WAF does come into play and can't be avoided. But for an audiophile, looks shouldn't be a factor. Just my $.02
In the end get what makes you happy and enjoy the music.

This Elac sub's bells and whistles will be a godsend for guys with 2 channel music setups (a.k.a preamps/amps ....no receivers with bass management). Variable phase control and eq that can be controlled with your phone/tablet from your listening position should be very useful. Other lower IQ subs out there will have you running back and forth between your seat and the manual knobs on the back of your sub 1500 fcking times (been there done that!)

In fact, i broke down and ordered a pair of these yesterday. We'll see how it works out after it shows up.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
This Elac sub's bells and whistles will be a godsend for guys with 2 channel music setups (a.k.a preamps/amps ....no receivers with bass management). Variable phase control and eq that can be controlled with your phone/tablet from your listening position should be very useful. Other lower IQ subs out there will have you running back and forth between your seat and the manual knobs on the back of your sub 1500 fcking times (been there done that!)

In fact, i broke down and ordered a pair of these yesterday. We'll see how it works out after it shows up.
Yep receivers with no bass management would be a pain. Glad my 2.1 pre has bass management and crossover control. Would hate to be without it. I'm with you on the phase control, i would not own a sub today that didn't have adjustable phase control. That zero or 180 choice is a joke.

Anyways nice score on the subs, let us know how you enjoy them.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
@Truthslayer I knew what you were saying and was just being obtuse. My own Hsu ULS-15 MK2 beats the Adante sub on performance alone and costs considerable less. In fact, one can purchase two of them, thanks to Hsu's "Dual Drive" offer for the same asking price of $1500. Unfortunately, the ULS is just another dumb sub and has to be set the old fashioned way. Though not quite as fugly as a Monolith, its looks are nothing to rave about and are about as plain as I am willing to go... Fortunately, my Parasound integrated has some nice bass management features and sub level/on-off can be controlled by there remote, so there's that.

@pcosmic Congrats on the score! I, for one at least, really like the design of the Adante line and if the sub was available in white (to match my AS-61s) I would have really considered smashing my daughter's piggy bank! Let us know how you like them!

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
@Truthslayer I knew what you were saying and was just being obtuse. My own Hsu ULS-15 MK2 beats the Adante sub on performance alone and costs considerable less. In fact, one can purchase two of them, thanks to Hsu's "Dual Drive" offer for the same asking price of $1500. Unfortunately, the ULS is just another dumb sub and has to be set the old fashioned way. Though not quite as fugly as a Monolith, its looks are nothing to rave about and are about as plain as I am willing to go... Fortunately, my Parasound integrated has some nice bass management features and sub level/on-off can be controlled by there remote, so there's that.

@pcosmic Congrats on the score! I, for one at least, really like the design of the Adante line and if the sub was available in white (to match my AS-61s) I would have really considered smashing my daughter's piggy bank! Let us know how you like them!
Totally understand you brother.
By the way my 2.1 rig is also a Parasound. Main reason i got was to have the nice bass management and crossovers. It allows me to run 3 subs with ease for my stereo set-up. Sold my ULS-15 last week, nothing wrong with it, just didn't need it. The cost basically paid for my two Monoliths. I don't mind the looks myself, then again i never cared to much about the looks of audio equipment. For me it's 100% about performance to price ratio.
Anyways, hope you enjoy them my friend.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic

Upscale audio has the satin white sub available in stock at the discounted price. Start smashing the piggy bank :). Mine's getting delivered thursday (excited!!)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

The problem is that in the kind of two-channel setup you are talking about, the phase at the low-end of the speakers is usually a mess. Phase controls on a sub scarcely matter at that point, unless the speakers are sealed with no low-end tinkering from the crossover. What's worse, a sub with lots of DSP like the Elac subs will have a signal delay that requires you to set a delay on the main speakers in order to synch the speakers with the subs. This delay can be 20ms or more. Without DSP on the main speakers, that will be really hard to do. The only useful feature on Elac's subs without serious bass management is the equalizer. And even that wouldn't be very useful without a way to measure the system response.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
The problem is that in the kind of two-channel setup you are talking about, the phase at the low-end of the speakers is usually a mess. Phase controls on a sub scarcely matter at that point, unless the speakers are sealed with no low-end tinkering from the crossover. What's worse, a sub with lots of DSP like the Elac subs will have a signal delay that requires you to set a delay on the main speakers in order to synch the speakers with the subs. This delay can be 20ms or more. Without DSP on the main speakers, that will be really hard to do. The only useful feature on Elac's subs without serious bass management is the equalizer. And even that wouldn't be very useful without a way to measure the system response.
While many sub+ported speaker or sub+ passive radiator combos can approach a 4th order linkwitzriley, there are exceptions and i like to have all the extra dofs/tweaking options than not. One's exact choice of crossover freq should also be influenced by this.

Embedded systems even in a regular residential application can approach latencies of 1ms (negligible). It comes down to how competent the manufacturer is. The stone age plate amp on a sub will do worse than some of these things. I'll find out tomorrow when the freight delivery guy gets in. Never forget that there are lots of exaggerated excuses made up by lazy sub manufacturers for their featureless offerings!

Either way, when you chaotically run back and forth between your seat and the plate amp on your sub 1500 fcking times (vs tweaking everything from your phone with undisturbed ears and buttocks comfortably planted on the seat), one may quickly change his tune ;).

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis