Turntable Questions

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I decided to take the plunge, relive my youth and purchase a turntable. I recently came into a large collection of a records and thought now may be the time to try it out. (no 78s)

I didn't want to spend a lot, but wanting something that would be upgradable a bit, so decided on Pro-Ject EVO Turntable. I am a complete noob on Vinyl so I relied a lot on my google machine :)

1. The older version came with ORTOFON - 2M Red Replacement Stylus and the EVO, which has some nice upgrades comes but now it comes with Sumiko Rainier Stylus - Is this a better Stylus?
  2. Can I safely assume that the phono input is fine on my pre/pro?
Thanks!

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Pro-Jects are really good and praised all over. Rainier is a rather new cart, I really don't know. It is almost certain that today's decks will work nicely over the phono input, but you might wanna just check it anyway. It's not that hard. Your Sumiko requires 47kOhm Load Impedance which is almost a standard in today's amps and avr's.

What's your pre/pro?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I found some of this to be an interesting read (about your cartridge):

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I decided to take the plunge, relive my youth and purchase a turntable. I recently came into a large collection of a records and thought now may be the time to try it out. (no 78s)

I didn't want to spend a lot, but wanting something that would be upgradable a bit, so decided on Pro-Ject EVO Turntable. I am a complete noob on Vinyl so I relied a lot on my google machine :)

1. The older version came with ORTOFON - 2M Red Replacement Stylus and the EVO, which has some nice upgrades comes but now it comes with Sumiko Rainier Stylus - Is this a better Stylus?
  2. Can I safely assume that the phono input is fine on my pre/pro?
Thanks!
I have a ProJect turntable with the Ortogon cartridge. Literally you can't go wrong. The TT has been stable and has no negative issues right out of the box. I've had mine for 2 years now. Love it. Like @killdozzer said, the cartridges are pretty much standardized for use in today's setups. The only caution is to make sure you have a phono input on your rig. I made the stupid assumption I did and found out I didn't. I then bought one of the Project external phono pickups and it worked great. When I replaced my AVR, I made dang sure the one I upgraded to had a phono input.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Pro-Jects are really good and praised all over. Rainier is a rather new cart, I really don't know. It is almost certain that today's decks will work nicely over the phono input, but you might wanna just check it anyway. It's not that hard. Your Sumiko requires 47kOhm Load Impedance which is almost a standard in today's amps and avr's.

What's your pre/pro?
AV8802A Pre/Pro - though may move to family room so the 1609 Marantz

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd try the phono stages in your Marantz units, they're likely fine.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
AV8802A Pre/Pro - though may move to family room so the 1609 Marantz
I went through a dozen of manuals and specs, all Marantz say is this is compatible with MM carts. Since they didn't bother to list the specs, I think it's safe to say it's the standard.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I went through a dozen of manuals and specs, all Marantz say is this is compatible with MM carts. Since they didn't bother to list the specs, I think it's safe to say it's the standard.
My unit is only a few years old, I would hope it would be standard. Apparently turntables are a popular item this year I have about a 10 day wait before mine arrives

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis