4K Projector vs high-end OLED TVs for new (smallish) media-room in 2021?

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
Hi guys,

So in a few weeks, I am taking possession of a new house that has a dedicated media room.

It is a dedicated theater room in a modern house, but only 10.5 feet wide, and 20 feet deep, with 10-foot ceilings. It has no windows, but just 1 set of doors at the rear. I am open to repainting and doing minor remodeling work to this room if necessary.

There are many decisions to make here, but the 2 BIGGEST issues are these:

1. Should I go with a projector, or just get a large OLED television?
  2. What 2 subwoofers should I get for this room? (whole other discussion) See here: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/choose-2-subs-for-my-new-theater-room-details-inside.120495/

What are the advantages of a projector in this room, aside from the obvious larger image?
What are the cons of having a projector?

It does seem to me, as a projector novice, that having a high-end projector might be overkill for this room with limited space and seating. I did not realize that 4K projectors seem to start at $3500+, and then also require a very expensive customized screen. It is unlikely that I'd ever have more than 4 people able to fit in this room.

Knowing what you video experts know NOW... should I go with something like a 65, 77, or larger TV in this space? Or go with a nice 4K projector and screen setup?

Any insights and reasoning would be appreciated.

Pics of the room are attached (This is not my gear, this is the previous homeowner's)

IMG_0774.jpg
IMG_0769.jpg

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If I had that room, I would be projecting all day long!

I think the biggest drawbacks of a PJ are the fan noise, and the cost.

@BMXTRIX what you think?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hi guys,

So in a few weeks, I am taking possession of a new house that has a dedicated media room.

It is a dedicated theater room in a modern house, but only 10.5 feet wide, and 20 feet deep, with 10-foot ceilings. It has no windows, but just 1 set of doors at the rear. I am open to repainting and doing minor remodeling work to this room if necessary.

There are many decisions to make here, but the 2 BIGGEST issues are these:

1. Should I go with a projector, or just get a large OLED television?
  2. What 2 subwoofers should I get for this room? (whole other discussion) See here: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/choose-2-subs-for-my-new-theater-room-details-inside.120495/

What are the advantages of a projector in this room, aside from the obvious larger image?
What are the cons of having a projector?

It does seem to me, as a projector novice, that having a high-end projector might be overkill for this room with limited space and seating. I did not realize that 4K projectors seem to start at $3500+, and then also require a very expensive customized screen. It is unlikely that I'd ever have more than 4 people able to fit in this room.

Knowing what you video experts know NOW... should I go with something like a 65, 77, or larger TV in this space? Or go with a nice 4K projector and screen setup?

Any insights and reasoning would be appreciated.

Pics of the room are attached (This is not my gear, this is the previous homeowner's)

View attachment 43228View attachment 43227
Keep the projector. Almost 99% of projector screens work with 4k projectors. What projector is up there now? What kind of speakers are in the wall?

check out SVS for subwoofers. Great subwoofers for the money.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Screens roll up and the frames break down. 60-70-80 inch TVs are monstrosities that will need to be disposed of long before a projection screen.

So as long as cleaning an air filter and wiping the lens isn't too much to ask, go projection!

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

The projector and screen are from the previous homeowner.... I don't know what they are. The projector is not a name brand.

I also don't know what kind of speakers are in the walls... I will most likely tear them all out, and patch the sheet rock. I have Polk LSiM 707s that I will use for mains

If I keep the screen, the question will be what kind of screen should I use. I could keep the existing screen layout, and just get a higher quality screen.

Are there any downsides to having the projector hanging from the ceiling?

What are some good NATIVE 4K projectors to look at, while keeping the costs as reasonable as possible?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

The projector and screen are from the previous homeowner.... I don't know what they are. The projector is not a name brand.

I also don't know what kind of speakers are in the walls... I will most likely tear them all out, and patch the sheet rock. I have Polk LSiM 707s that I will use for mains

If I keep the screen, the question will be what kind of screen should I use. I could keep the existing screen layout, and just get a higher quality screen.

Are there any downsides to having the projector hanging from the ceiling?

What are some good NATIVE 4K projectors to look at, while keeping the costs as reasonable as possible?
how much are you willing to throw down for a "higher quality" screen? Screens range from $200-$15k. Depending on brand. Look at what you have now and google the specs.

No downsides to projector hanging from the ceilings. That's where it's supposed to be.

You can check out Sony or JVC. They are the only companies that sell native 4k projectors. To the masses that is. You can get an entry level 4k from Sony for $4500 or JVC for $5k.

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
I might be able to use the screen already there.

What is the main thing to look at for a 4K capable screen?
Particular brands/models that are really great?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
First: Vivatek isn't a no-name brand.
Second: You don't need a high end screen for 4K support.
Third: Paint that room completely and replace the carpet. DARK!!!

If you want 'native' 4K, you need to ensure you are going to be close enough to appreciate it. But, the JVC models are the way I would go. The NX7/RS2000 would be my preference, but if I couldn't fully immerse myself in the resolution, then I would likely go with a RS540/X790. Pixel shifting 4K is extremely good quality.

I would very likely try to go with an acoustically transparent screen in such a narrow room. Or, I would consider rotating the room 90 degrees so that the couch can go along the current side wall. You can fit more width there. Just not sure if the projector would work from that close. Kind of a crap room, as you already know. So, if you build out a false wall, and go larger with a AT screen (Seymour AV) and good speakers, it could be an excellent setup overall.

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
First: Vivatek isn't a no-name brand.
Second: You don't need a high end screen for 4K support.
Third: Paint that room completely and replace the carpet. DARK!!!

If you want 'native' 4K, you need to ensure you are going to be close enough to appreciate it. But, the JVC models are the way I would go. The NX7/RS2000 would be my preference, but if I couldn't fully immerse myself in the resolution, then I would likely go with a RS540/X790. Pixel shifting 4K is extremely good quality.

I would very likely try to go with an acoustically transparent screen in such a narrow room. Or, I would consider rotating the room 90 degrees so that the couch can go along the current side wall. You can fit more width there. Just not sure if the projector would work from that close. Kind of a crap room, as you already know. So, if you build out a false wall, and go larger with a AT screen (Seymour AV) and good speakers, it could be an excellent setup overall.
I did plan to paint. You think replacing the carpet in there is warranted?

The carpet is continuous to the game room next to it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I did plan to paint. You think replacing the carpet in there is warranted?

The carpet is continuous to the game room next to it.
I would paint the door frames/molding very dark grey or black then the walls a dark color to suit the room. No gloss white trim allowed. :)

The carpet doesn't have to be replaced, but you have a clear delineation between the theater space and the game room area and while the carpet is 'darkish', it probably should be replaced at some point with something darker. Especially if you do go with a high end projector like a JVC. It may be a few hundred bucks (or so) to get in a nice dark carpet, then have a strip, or simply a seam, which separates the theater carpet from the game room carpet. It's not unnatural as long as you have the doors in place which designate the different spaces.

If budget is of concern, I might not get overly hung up on demanding 4K, but might instead opt for a more reasonable mid-tier solution.

In a GOOD room, a cheaper screen can look excellent.

I just paired a JVC RS540 with a Silver Ticket AT woven screen and the final result was very satisfying.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I would paint the door frames/molding very dark grey or black then the walls a dark color to suit the room. No gloss white trim allowed. :)

The carpet doesn't have to be replaced, but you have a clear delineation between the theater space and the game room area and while the carpet is 'darkish', it probably should be replaced at some point with something darker. Especially if you do go with a high end projector like a JVC. It may be a few hundred bucks (or so) to get in a nice dark carpet, then have a strip, or simply a seam, which separates the theater carpet from the game room carpet. It's not unnatural as long as you have the doors in place which designate the different spaces.

If budget is of concern, I might not get overly hung up on demanding 4K, but might instead opt for a more reasonable mid-tier solution.

In a GOOD room, a cheaper screen can look excellent.

I just paired a JVC RS540 with a Silver Ticket AT woven screen and the final result was very satisfying.
I have a similar issue in my room. Light carpet and walls that will be replaced soon, but the transition from my theater to the gameroom will be obvious. I'm fine with it, and I know making everything darker in the room will make my cheap 1080p projector look even better after 8 years of use.

@Landmonster go dark, and get the best PJ in your budget. You'll use the PJ for a very long time so don't skimp up front. Spend money on the room too. No sense in getting a great projector and putting it in a sub-optimal room. You're just wasting money if you do that.

I'm also big on the false wall up front so you can have a nice, big AT screen. I've had AT screens in both theaters and won't ever do anything else.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
Another vote for a false wall in the rear and a wall-to-wall acoustically transparent screen. A narrow but long room is perfect for this. You can place one of the subs on the floor behind the false wall too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis