Wharfedale Evo 4.4 or Dali Oberon 5 or Focal Chora 826?

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Hi...need some help. I have a dedicated HT room about 13X20X8 and plan to upgrade my front speakers. Mainly used for movies. Which of the 2 speakers would you guys recommend? I have no way of auditioning them coz here in my country stocks are very limited and I have to get them from another city coz it's not available where I live in. Thanks.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
Some more info about your System that you have and how your room is setup. Speakers with great tweeters sound better in well dampen rooms over a room with all hard floors and many hard surfaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Some more info about your System that you have and how your room is setup. Speakers with great tweeters sound better in well dampen rooms over a room with all hard floors and many hard surfaces.

Room is carpeted. Sound absorbers on the front half of the room on both side walls as well as the center portion of the rear wall. No treatments on the ceiling. 2 row seating with 2nd row on a riser. Rear seat is about 4 feet from the back wall. 7.2.4 setup using a Denon X3700H AVR. Dual SVS PB 1000 subs. All speakers are B&W. Front's are B&W DM 602 S3.

Attachments

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What wall are the cars on? Drop down screen

C

ciotime

Audioholic
You still don't need an amp LOL
Hahaha...unfortunately I do coz the Denon X3700H only powers 9ch even though it's listed as 11.1. It can process 11 channels but need's external amps if I intend to setup a 7.2.4 HT. I was planning on just using an old Denon AVR as the external amp but I've been told it's better to use a dedicated external amp to power the Front LR ch even though an old AVR will work.

X3700H - MSRP ($1199), 9.2CH (expandable to 11CH [7.2.4] w/2CH amp), 105W

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Is that a townhouse or condo?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
It's a 2 level house. Dedicated room is double walled isolated to have some soundproofing. Walls are acoustically covered with sound absorbers on the front half and the center rear wall.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
It's a 2 level house.
Ah ok, I just saw what looked like another house choose by so many thought it was a townhouse. I live in a townhouse and it's a constant struggle with the home theater. No complaints in 12 years but I'm constantly worried about it.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Hahaha...unfortunately I do coz the Denon X3700H only powers 9ch even though it's listed as 11.1. It can process 11 channels but need's external amps if I intend to setup a 7.2.4 HT. I was planning on just using an old Denon AVR as the external amp but I've been told it's better to use a dedicated external amp to power the Front LR ch even though an old AVR will work.

X3700H - MSRP ($1199), 9.2CH (expandable to 11CH [7.2.4] w/2CH amp), 105W
Well you might need one for additional channels. But that's the only reason. And check the specs for the Dali's. A 200watt 8ohm - 300watt 4ohm amp might be to much for those speakers

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Ah ok, I just saw what looked like another house choose by so many thought it was a townhouse. I live in a townhouse and it's a constant struggle with the home theater. No complaints in 12 years but I'm constantly worried about it.

Yeah what you saw from the window is the next door neighbor. No complaints so far in my more than 10 years of living here. When the house was built I fully intended to have the dedicated HT room in between the 2 toilets of 2 bedrooms to help minimize the sound. So the front wall is beside the toilet of bedroom 1 while the rear wall is beside the toilet of bedroom 2.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Well you might need one for additional channels. But that's the only reason. And check the specs for the Dali's. A 200watt 8ohm - 300watt 4ohm amp might be to much for those speakers
Thanks. But you do agree it's better to use a dedicated amp rather than an old AVR as the dedicated amp?

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Dali Oberon 5
  • Frequency Range 39-26,000Hz
  • Sensitivity 88dB
  • Nominal Impedance 6 ohms
  • Recommended Amplifier Power 30-150W
  • Maximum SPL [dB]108

• Dimensions With Base (HxWxD) [mm]830 x 162 x 283

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks. But you do agree it's better to use a dedicated amp rather than an old AVR as the dedicated amp?
I would not use an "old AVR" as an amp (I don't even know how to do that).

Using an ext amp is Great DEPENDING on the speakers used. I just feel based on the ability of the 3700 vs. the speakers you have and are thinking of. It's a waste of money because you will gain nothing. That $1000 - $1600 your thinking about spending on that amp could be used to increase your speaker budget. Now that would make a significant difference in Sound Quality

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
Your room would work well with speakers that use horns for the mods and highs, your room will keep the horns from being very bright. And with regular 1.1/8” or smaller tweeters, you will have to add a lot more power to bring out the ( sizzle affect ) and then it will become some what stressful on your speakers

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Your room would work well with speakers that use horns for the mods and highs, your room will keep the horns from being very bright. And with regular 1.1/8” or smaller tweeters, you will have to add a lot more power to bring out the ( sizzle affect ) and then it will become some what stressful on your speakers
So what dual horn speaker do you recommend?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Great room. The color and texture of the wall covering, the color of the wood work, the lights, the cars and action figures are all very cool. Why not try an old Denon receiver for the rear height speakers? Just connect it from the Height 2 pre outs into an analog device input on the old Denon receiver. Be even better if it was one with 7.1 EXT IN to avoid DSP. If not, just set it to direct mode. Worth a shot if you have an older Denon lying around.

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Great room. The color and texture of the wall covering, the color of the wood work, the lights, the cars and action figures are all very cool. Why not try an old Denon receiver for the rear height speakers? Just connect it from the Height 2 pre outs into an analog device input on the old Denon receiver. Be even better if it was one with 7.1 EXT IN to avoid DSP. If not, just set it to direct mode. Worth a shot if you have an older Denon lying around.
Thanks for the compliments. It so happens I have 2 old Denons ( 1802/3313 ) and I believe the the 1802 has EXT IN/multi ch inputs. Or I could just use the 3313 and put it in direct mode like you said with the 3313 having more watts per ch.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis