D

Dcara

Enthusiast
Hey everyone,

I've been looking to upgrade my home theater and I'm looking for suggestions.
I currently have a 75" Samsung TV, a Harmon Kardon AVR3600, klipsch R25C center, smal JBL satellite speakers that I got way back in the day for the fronts and rears, as well as a velodyne cht-10. The room is on the main floor of a 1.5 story home with vaulted ceilings. It is a very open concept with Hardwood flooring. I would like to upgrage to get better more detailed sound our of it. I really use the system for movies, tv, and gamming. I was looking into the SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers, as well as some klipsch towers. Wanted some opinions and thoughts on what to go with. I'm torn between trying to keep a clean look with smaller speakers and getting the sounds I'm looking for.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Just my opinion I like the SVS Ultra bookshelf, Ultra Towers and the Prime Pinnacle Towers. My opinion the SVS over the Klipsch is it better performing speaker. I also don't like the sound of the Klipsch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about budget? Just looking for fronts and continue to use your JBL for surrounds or new set altogether? Lots of choices out there, why Klipsch or SVS particularly? With SVS you could order a set for in-home trial with return freight guaranteed should you not like them, but in-room would tell you more than going to a showroom most likely. Big space like that I'd also consider a sub (or subs) upgrade.

D

Dcara

Enthusiast
How about budget? Just looking for fronts and continue to use your JBL for surrounds or new set altogether? Lots of choices out there, why Klipsch or SVS particularly? With SVS you could order a set for in-home trial with return freight guaranteed should you not like them, but in-room would tell you more than going to a showroom most likely. Big space like that I'd also consider a sub (or subs) upgrade.
I'm flexible on budget, but I don't want to go crazy either. I could keep the surrounds if they sound good with the others upgraded. I only mentioned those two brands because I'm not familiar with what is out there for similar prices\performance.

D

Dcara

Enthusiast
I guess I’ll have to take a look at them. Comparing prices and go from there

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
mazer has communication skill issues when not communicating via emoji (giant ones at that) and his lack of understanding why someone might not like his recommendation let alone understand why he linked it. He calls this being a meatball. Some sort of weird NY transplant thing I think, not sure :) He still supports the Giants which is admirable, but.....insane. :) Looking at Paradigm or PSB being in Canada is a good thing. Funk if you can afford it.....

D

Dcara

Enthusiast
mazer has communication skill issues when not communicating via emoji (giant ones at that) and his lack of understanding why someone might not like his recommendation let alone understand why he linked it. He calls this being a meatball. Some sort of weird NY transplant thing I think, not sure :) He still supports the Giants which is admirable, but.....insane. :) Looking at Paradigm or PSB being in Canada is a good thing. Funk if you can afford it.....
Ya that’s the main thing. I don’t need the best. If the prices or close of course I’ll go with what I think is better (hard to tell not hearing it in my home). There comes a point where price difference does factor in though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ya that’s the main thing. I don’t need the best. If the prices or close of course I’ll go with what I think is better (hard to tell not hearing it in my home). There comes a point where price difference does factor in though.
Canada does somewhat limit your choices, particularly me previous reco :) but hard to know as its not readily apparent even if you add that info to your profile. It can be hard to compare subjective experiences, too. Gear only makes so much difference but most of that is of course in the transducers. I'd concentrate on the front three speakers and sub primarily for biggest bang for $. Used can be a good consideration, too, depends how close you are to a big marketplace to an extent, tho (unless you're more trusting than me :) ).

D

Dcara

Enthusiast
Canada does somewhat limit your choices, particularly me previous reco :) but hard to know as its not readily apparent even if you add that info to your profile. It can be hard to compare subjective experiences, too. Gear only makes so much difference but most of that is of course in the transducers. I'd concentrate on the front three speakers and sub primarily for biggest bang for $. Used can be a good consideration, too, depends how close you are to a big marketplace to an extent, tho (unless you're more trusting than me :) ).
Great advice! I’m opened to used locally, but it’s slim pickings here. I’m in Edmonton alberta. I was definitely thinking of going with matching the front three. Seeing how they sound with the existing surrounds and sub, then go from there.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Great advice! I’m opened to used locally, but it’s slim pickings here. I’m in Edmonton alberta. I was definitely thinking of going with matching the front three. Seeing how they sound with the existing surrounds and sub, then go from there.
Hey that's a much bigger marketplace than the city I live nearest! :)

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I have a set of paradigm speakers and love them

premier 800f front pair
Mini Monitor v5 surround speakers pair
ADP-190 (ordered a pair of Prestige 25s replacement)
Prestige 45c center
And a defiance x12 subwoofer

D

Dcara

Enthusiast
OK so after some research I am leaning heavily towards SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers for the fronts, SVS Ultra Center, and SVS satellites for the rears. This is all considering the pricing in Canada as well as the gloss black finish and ability to get Gloss white on the satellites. I think it will be a great improvement over JBL 125SAT that I currently have for everything but surrounds.

I am stuck on what to go with on the sub. I'm considering one of two options and would appreciate your thoughts.

1 - Pick up 2 SVS SB 1000 (open to ported if that would be much better). As I mentioned I currently have a velodyne cht-10 so I think that is a huge improvement. I would likely sell the velodyne cht-10 if going that route.

2 - Pick up 1 SVS SB 200 (again open to ported if that would be much better). In this case I could run it alone or use it with the velodyne cht-10.

I know this setup may not be the best as an audiophile, but considering the open concept of the home and the style (I don't want it to overtake the room), I think it's a good option that will sound much better than what I currently have.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on the sub options.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
PORTED SUBWOOFER!!! And don't mess with the 1000 series

PB-2000 Pro

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis