4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am so not a videophile. Give me the good ol film grain and "The Good, Bad n Ugly" Clint Eastwood spaghetti. UHD 4k movies look like documentaries on national geographic or something. Don't really feel like a movie anymore.

I recall watching Predator with Arnie Schwartz in it decades ago and boy was it good. I just recently saw it in 4k UHD. It felt like a fcking documentary.

Am i the only one who feels this way about 4k UHD???
Apparently you’re not the only one since new movies like WW84 and Tenet are still being shot using analog films with grain.

Different strokes. I hate grain. It looks like poor picture quality to me. Might as well watch 480p (DVD), which is about “1K”. 1080p is about 2K.

I love the movie “Predator”. But when I watched it in 4K and saw plenty of grain in the video, it turned me off.

I will make “exceptions” for Clint Eastwood movies like “Unforgiven” and his Spaghetti Westerns. :D

I think most people are okay with 1K/DVD/Grainy analog films. But a few of us want smooth non-grainy Digital 4K-8K resolution.

The Grainy videos are shot using Analog films, while the non-grainy smooth videos are shot using digital - even 2K digital.

So it looks like many people actually prefer GRAINY analog films.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Apparently you’re not the only one since new movies like WW84 and Tenet are still being shot using analog films with grain.

Different strokes. I hate grain. It looks like poor picture quality to me. Might as well watch 480p (DVD), which is about “1K”. 1080p is about 2K.

I love the movie “Predator”. But when I watched it in 4K and saw plenty of grain in the video, it turned me off.

I will make “exceptions” for Clint Eastwood movies like “Unforgiven” and his Spaghetti Westerns. :D

I think most people are okay with 1K/DVD/Grainy analog films. But a few of us want smooth non-grainy Digital 4K-8K resolution.

The Grainy videos are shot using Analog films, while the non-grainy smooth videos are shot using digital - even 2K digital.

So it looks like many people actually prefer GRAINY analog films.
I can take grain or leave it. But what I LOATHE is the soap opera effect. Sorry, but I don’t want transformers to look like days of our lives. Hate that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Many might not realize that motion interpolation is on by default to some degree when they hook up their new TV and different picture modes actually have different degrees of it applied. TV manufacturers have different names for it and that doesn't help since none of them actually call it the soap opera effect. LG calls it TruMotion, Samsung calls it Auto Motion Plus and Sony's is MotionFlow. Turn all of them OFF for a motion interpolation free picture. Your favorite movie just might look the way you like it again since motion interpolation usually has the strongest effect on 24fps material.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Many might not realize that motion interpolation is on by default to some degree when they hook up their new TV and different picture modes actually have different degrees of it applied. TV manufacturers have different names for it and that doesn't help since none of them actually call it the soap opera effect. LG calls it TruMotion, Samsung calls it Auto Motion Plus and Sony's is MotionFlow. Turn all of them OFF for a motion interpolation free picture. Your favorite movie just might look the way you like it again since motion interpolation usually has the strongest effect on 24fps material.
Agreed. It would be nice if we could have a common vocabulary for this crap. Looking at YOU yamaha...Lol couldn’t help that one.
I’m still rokkin a panny plasma, but I did a stint of retail for awhile. I was surprised at how many people didn’t notice the soap opera thing. Anyway, just another crutch for crappy LCD tv.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can take grain or leave it. But what I LOATHE is the soap opera effect. Sorry, but I don’t want transformers to look like days of our lives. Hate that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah I hate that 60-120Hz soap opera effect.

I want the clearest smoothest 30Hz 4K videos shot using digital cameras.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It's there in OLED sets as well. Can't count the number of times I've seen it on in friends' homes, stores, or restaurants and wondered why nobody thought to turn it off. It can look really bad. It would be nice if a standard was set so that HDMI CEC and Motion Interpolation were labeled as such across all of the different brands.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It's there in OLED sets as well. Can't count the number of times I've seen it on in friends' homes, stores, or restaurants and wondered why nobody thought to turn it off. It can look really bad. It would be nice if a standard was set so that HDMI CEC and Motion Interpolation were labeled as such across all of the different brands.
I think that the majority of users have NO idea whatsoever that they can turn those things off. And aside from that I believe they think are “supposed” to live that since the big fancy TV they just bought is the SOTA so...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I think that the majority of users have NO idea whatsoever that they can turn those things off. And aside from that I believe they think are “supposed” to live that since the big fancy TV they just bought is the SOTA so...
And of course nobody includes an actual manual anymore to read over while you tinker with your new TV so folks have to search for it online, ask for help from their brand's support or look for help in forums such as this one.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
And of course nobody includes an actual manual anymore to read over while you tinker with your new TV so folks have to search for it online, ask for help from their brand's support or look for help in forums such as this one.
Yeah! like wtf! man! there are still millions with No internet, put a manual in the box!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I use to lay on the living room floor and read over my Denon manuals while listening to music a few years back. I did not print out the manuals for my Onkyo receivers, Samsung TV or Yamaha receivers. They should have been in the f#%kin box!:mad:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I hear you pcosmic, but there is nothing green about forcing somebody to go online for a manual. They have to purchase internet service, which means getting a modem, router or gateway device, a PC or Smart device capable of getting onto the internet which is packed in cardboard and polystyrene foam and shipped off in vehicles running on petroleum. Hardly a good trade off when they can just put a few pieces of paper in the huge cardboard box with all of that polystyrene foam that the TV came in in the first place. It has more to do with manufacturers cutting costs by pushing them onto consumers. :mad:

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep. Not to mention how many people don’t realize that tv’s aren’t calibrated out of the box. I believe many people just think that’s what they get. Imo, tv’s should come ISF calibrated. To me it’s like buying a new Vette and having to bring it in to get a tune up.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yep. Not to mention how many people don’t realize that tv’s aren’t calibrated out of the box. I believe many people just think that’s what they get. Imo, tv’s should come ISF calibrated. To me it’s like buying a new Vette and having to bring it in to get a tune up.
Yeah, forgot about that, some come way off out of the box.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I hear you pcosmic, but there is nothing green about forcing somebody to go online for a manual. They have to purchase internet service, which means getting a modem, router or gateway device, a PC or Smart device capable of getting onto the internet which is packed in cardboard and polystyrene foam and shipped off in vehicles running on petroleum. Hardly a good trade off when they can just put a few pieces of paper in the huge cardboard box with all of that polystyrene foam that the TV came in in the first place. It has more to do with manufacturers cutting costs by pushing them onto consumers. :mad:
Exactly. And the forestry industry is pretty strong from what I can tell and, if I’m not mistaken, they plant more trees than they harvest so...

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I live in a town of about 50,000 people 2 hours away from a city metro population of 2.5ish million maybe. There are 2 internet providers in my town. My internet provider indicated to me sometime this year that every house and apartment in my town has internet. I personally have a 500 MBPS connection in my town. THIS IS 2021, NOT 1998, EVEN EVERYONE IN MY SMALLISH TOWN ALREADY HAS A MODEM/ROUTER AND INTERNET. Might as well save trees, go paperless on everything.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Dark Phoenix 2019 4K ATMOS.

Not everyone’s fav X-Men movie. But it is my fav “X-Women” movie for various reasons. I’ve seen Dark Phoenix like 10 times already. :D

PQ: Awesome PQ. This movie was shot with the 3.4K ARRI Alexa XT+. So, of course, PQ is among the best - if you like clear smooth non-grainy video. Colors are vibrant. Nice black level.

SQ. The Atmos soundtrack is among the best I’ve heard. The opening scene where Jean Grey caused the car crash is very cool with the glass shattering all around us. The Space shuttle scenes where Jean becomes the Dark Phoenix are among the best. Awesome overhead presence. The Train Scenes toward the end and Climax are also awesome Atmos effects.

Subwoofer: This should be a category on its own. WARNING: The is scary crazy bass and is “off the charts” (a quote in the movie regarding Jean Grey’s health status). Your subs better be ready to kick a$$. So awesome Atmos overhead and awesome bass.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Kong Skull Island 2017 4K Atmos.

The story - It’s okay. Makes the military look like a bunch of dumba$$es. If I wanted to attack King Kong, I might want to stay out of his REACH. The part where the Reporter tries to PUSH a HELICOPTER tail off one of the injured Giant animals is stupid. Really, a human trying a push a helicopter? And the Colonel is an absolute imbecile. :D

But watching Kong kick a$$ is the real story. :D

PQ: Awesome PQ. Beautiful colors. This movie was shot using the 3.4K ARRI Alexa XT+ digital camera.

SQ. Atmos sounds great. Plenty of overhead sound effects. I would say reference quality Atmos.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Didn’t see that in 4K. Might need to pick it up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis