Yamaha Audio vs Jamo vs Klipsch - Which speaker of these brands are the best?

A

apoorvasheth

Audioholic Intern

Hello All,

I have Yamaha RX-V685 Amplifier & Harman / Kardon HKTS 9 speakers (5 speakers & 1 Sub Woofer). Unfortunately, I have been facing an issue with these speakers. The dialogue (vocal) sound volume level has gone quite low such that I am unable to hear the dialogues clearly especially when they whisper & speak very slowly. Before, we were able to listen to all the dialogues Crisp & Clear even at -30 volume but now the situation is such that I have to take the volume level all the way till -13 to -12 in order to hear their dialogues clearly (especially their whispering). But now the biggest issue is that the moment there is a sudden background loud sound in the scenes, "A huge explosion of sound gets created by Subwoofer" in the living room which immediately forces me to bring the volume level down back to -28 but this again brings back the issue of low dialogue volume so again increase the volume & this cycle keeps repeating. My Mom is 68yrs & she finds such a high level of background sound very irritating, disturbing & shocking.

I contacted one of the dealers of Jamo & he suggested me following speakers:

JAMO : A345 - For Front / A320 ( SATELLITE ) - for Surround / s83 - For Center.

Can any of you kindly suggest me whether these are the best one to work with my Yamaha Amplifier RX-V685 & solve my issue mentioned above?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Of the three I like jamo. But it seems like something else is wrong. Have you checked all the wiring? Or did someone accidentally engage a different sound mode?

A

apoorvasheth

Audioholic Intern
Of the three I like jamo. But it seems like something else is wrong. Have you checked all the wiring? Or did someone accidentally engage a different sound mode?
Well, few months back, my Yamaha Amplifier stopped to function so I had to send in to Yamaha Authorized service center to have it fixed.. After that, the owner of that service center visited my house when I told him of the vocal issue that I have been facing to which he checked & felt there is some issue with Center & Front Right Speakers....he suggested to either have these checked or replace it...I am no longer interested to continue with Harman/Kardon speakers due to their Rubbish service & 0% heart to care of its customers...Harman/Kardon company people have became purely "Money Minded" & "Money Minting" company...hence I want to move on from them to something better...

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Well, few months back, my Yamaha Amplifier stopped to function so I had to send in to Yamaha Authorized service center to have it fixed.. After that, the owner of that service center visited my house when I told him of the vocal issue that I have been facing to which he checked & felt there is some issue with Center & Front Right Speakers....he suggested to either have these checked or replace it...I am no longer interested to continue with Harman/Kardon speakers due to their Rubbish service & 0% heart to care of its customers...Harman/Kardon company people have became purely "Money Minded" & "Money Minting" company...hence I want to move on from them to something better...
Depends how big of speakers you want ... I have jamo satellites but low end ones ..
work fine for front heights on my Onkyo . My Yamaha is dying too it only sends stuff to center channels opposite of your issue....
I get no bass anymore

Jamo are fine satellites, but don’t compare to my larger Klipch icon speakers .
Are you sure anything is wrong with your speakers ?
Get a new amplifier first seee how they sound

If you find a good budget amp post it here I’m lost on amp buying anymore ...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

apoorvasheth

Audioholic Intern
Depends how big of speakers you want ... I have jamo satellites but low end ones ..
work fine for front heights on my Onkyo . My Yamaha is dying too it only sends stuff to center channels opposite of your issue....
I get no bass anymore

Jamo are fine satellites, but don’t compare to my larger Klipsch icon speakers .
Are you sure anything is wrong with your speakers ?
Get a new amplifier first, see how they sound.

If you find a good budget amp post it here I’m lost on amp buying anymore ...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, the Amplifier has recently been repaired, the person at the Service Center knew about the issue hence, I feel it with the speaker only - the reason for me to believe an issue with the speaker is b'coz they have been over 7 years of usage & when I asked the dealer who sells the speakers, he told me that most possibly the Tweeter within the center speaker has blown off....I had bought these HKTS 9 in 2013...also these Harman/Kardon HKTS 9 are just entry level speakers & again satellite so they aren't seem to be that good enough...

It is just that Harman/Kardon have become "Rubbish" when it comes to service hence, I am planning to replace them with a better one....

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW Audiovox/Voxx Electronics owns both the Klipsch and Jamo brands as well as some others. A speaker warranty of 7 years would be exceptional, so be sure you understand the warranty involved....from what I see the HK speakers had a 5 year warranty. They all have generally good reputations but as to "best", that would be model specific as well as somewhat subject to your taste and budget.

Why these three brands only? They the only ones available to you?

Do you have any idea how you damaged your previous speakers? Played too loud or ?

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Before changing speakers, look to change dynamic range settings on your receiver, along with possibly bumping up the level of the center channel.

A

apoorvasheth

Audioholic Intern
FWIW Audiovox/Voxx Electronics owns both the Klipsch and Jamo brands as well as some others. A speaker warranty of 7 years would be exceptional, so be sure you understand the warranty involved....from what I see the HK speakers had a 5 year warranty. They all have generally good reputations but as to "best", that would be model specific as well as somewhat subject to your taste and budget.

Why these three brands only? They the only ones available to you?

Do you have any idea how you damaged your previous speakers? Played too loud or ?
I am from India so you may suggest me a good authorized dealer over here is you know of.

Well, I use Yamaha Amplifier RX-V685 so initially though of pairing up the Yamaha speakers only but later came to know about Klipsch & Jamo being a very good brand so considered these 2 as well..

I know of other brands though such as Pioneer, Bose, Wharfedale, Onkyo.

Bose is just a brand name...their speakers are such expensive such that the price at which they sell, one can easily get the best of the best speakers from other good brands.

I have actually no idea of any brands, but I am now planning to move onto one of these - Jamo or Klipsch.

Can you though suggest me the best speakers which can go well along with this Yamaha RX-V685 Amplifier & solve my above mentioned issues as well?

Regards,
Apoorva.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, have no idea what's available or where it's available to you in India, you'll have to do some research. You can use a wide variety of speakers with your avr. Bose is not something I'd recommend, definitely overpriced for what their quality of speakers are. You might post your budget range for appropriate suggestions....

A

apoorvasheth

Audioholic Intern
Before changing speakers, look to change dynamic range settings on your receiver, along with possibly bumping up the level of the center channel.
Done all of that already....(0:

K

kini

Full Audioholic

Hello All,

I have Yamaha RX-V685 Amplifier & Harman / Kardon HKTS 9 speakers (5 speakers & 1 Sub Woofer). Unfortunately, I have been facing an issue with these speakers. The dialogue (vocal) sound volume level has gone quite low such that I am unable to hear the dialogues clearly especially when they whisper & speak very slowly. Before, we were able to listen to all the dialogues Crisp & Clear even at -30 volume but now the situation is such that I have to take the volume level all the way till -13 to -12 in order to hear their dialogues clearly (especially their whispering). But now the biggest issue is that the moment there is a sudden background loud sound in the scenes, "A huge explosion of sound gets created by Subwoofer" in the living room which immediately forces me to bring the volume level down back to -28 but this again brings back the issue of low dialogue volume so again increase the volume & this cycle keeps repeating. My Mom is 68yrs & she finds such a high level of background sound very irritating, disturbing & shocking.

I contacted one of the dealers of Jamo & he suggested me following speakers:

JAMO : A345 - For Front / A320 ( SATELLITE ) - for Surround / s83 - For Center.

Can any of you kindly suggest me whether these are the best one to work with my Yamaha Amplifier RX-V685 & solve my issue mentioned above?
If the sound changed like that it's more than likely NOT the speakers. Either the AVR is bad or the settings have changed. Did you do a factory reset? Is there some place that you can get another AVR with a free return period?

A

apoorvasheth

Audioholic Intern
If the sound changed like that it's more than likely NOT the speakers. Either the AVR is bad or the settings have changed. Did you do a factory reset? Is there some place that you can get another AVR with a free return period?
No, its not the Amplifier b'coz this Yamaha Amplifier RX-V685 has been near recently bought somewhere in November 2018.

Yes, factory reset has been performed...infact the Amplifier has stopped to function so I paid to get it fixed.

Now the one from Yamaha Service Center who came at my house said there are 2 things:

1) These HKTS 9 are just entry level speakers so not much throw can be expected out of these Satellite speakers.

2) He removed the Center speaker & connected the Surround Right speakers in its place & then we played the same content & I guess the vocals were a bit clear compared to the one I had experienced from the Center speaker.

So he said this surround right speaker has just one tweeter inside whereas the Center speaker has two so imagine if with just one tweeter I can feel the improvement in vocal volume so how much clear it would then be from the Center speaker in which there are two tweeter & he suspects there is some issue with the Front Right speaker as well hence he concluded with suggesting to replace both Center & Font Right speakers.

And anyway'z I feel after using these speakers from past 7 years, it is time to move from the entry level to a better one...

Can someone tell me what is the proper hireachy level starting from Satellite Speakers to Floor Standing to Bookshelves to On Wall to InWall speakers?

I mean which shall sound better as one climbs up the ladder?

A

apoorvasheth

Audioholic Intern
Look at JBL and Wharfedale in your area
Well JBL again is a parent company of Harman Kardon & Harman Kardon service have become Rubbish hence, I no longer want to buy either of them...

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What budget for 2 speakers? And where you located?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well JBL again is a parent company of Harman Kardon & Harman Kardon service have become Rubbish hence, I no longer want to buy either of them...
Then look at Q Acoustics

Mission MX2

Dali Zensor 1

Paradigm Monotor SE

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actually JBL is a part of Harman owned by Samsung :) Could still exceed Klipsch quality easily enough, tho,

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
After looking at what you have available consider getting a set of SVS sound prime bookshelf speakers with a SVS PB-1000 if not a PB-2000 sub. Consider also a set of Paradigm Cinema speakers which will require a subwoofer. I recommend the above subwoofers mentioned above.

I personally own the following

Paradigm:
Premier 800F
Prestige 45C
Mini Monitor v5
ADP-190 (Prestige 25S replacement ordered)
Defiance X12 subwoofer

I have owned other Paradigm speakers and love them.

I also own an SVS SB3000 and a pair of Martin Logan LX-16 speakers as well. Paradigm/Martin Logan are the same company. SVS is an up and coming brand and IMHO well worth considering as well.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic

If you have to have the surround sound check above. However this would benefit from a good subwoofer. Else check below for a bookshelf subwoofer combo from SVS.

The first will push you at 73000 of your currency, but the second should be well within your budget, and has gotten good reviews from what I have seen. Any bookshelf speaker should be paired with a subwoofer as you will miss bass notes otherwise. For example my LX-16's from Martin Logan have a frequency drop off at 60Hz. The SB-3000 SVS fills in the gap nicely. Please keep this in mind.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis