Speakers recommendations $1500 budget

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
No one said there is anything wrong with it. But there sure isn't anything Special about it either.
Yes, there is something special about it. It's a three-way center using a very good coaxial driver. It is very likely a good center speaker. My guess is that it measures better and is more accurate than any of the centers you recommended except for the Paradigm Premier center.
I agree. The crossover is also made of cheap parts.
The crossover parts don't have to be fancy, they just have to do their job. How well they do their job can be verified with measurements. It would be dumb to use expensive parts when cheap parts will do just as well. It would be a testament to the loudspeaker design if it can perform so well without needing an overbuilt crossover. That means the driver is intrinsically good and doesn't need much correction in the crossover circuit, and the cabinet and driver layout is sensibly arranged, so it doesn't need to be compensated for in the crossover either.

A

Andy Verdy

Enthusiast
Why should I care about components quality that much?
Obviously, they shouldn't be crappy, but good enough. We are not talking here about products why money is not an object.
Why should I cany anything but if I like what I hear? BTW I think you should train your ears to be able to recognize what is right and what is bad (same as with food good and junk food).

When I was purchasing Paradigm 800f, I liked them more than Prestige 85 but less than Persona B (which I wasn't able to afford), so I picked 800f.
Maybe I wasn't ready for them at the moment, but when I heard Klipsch 8000F I like them more. But I kept 800f only because of the appearance.
When I moved to another place and sold 800f (my ex didn't like them) for a smaller 5000F, I have the same question, because obviously, 5000F are just ok-ish speakers. So, no girlfriend, but have some money to spare )))

Now I doubt myself, maybe give a second chance to 800f, $800 seems to be a good deal.
After brief research, SVS pinnacles look like a good pick, but I'm not too fond of the appearance, but these should be more forgiving (placement-wise).
Or Klipsch 8000f, common $850 just impossible to beat. And I heard them, they are good, not even considering the price. But the size.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, there is something special about it. It's a three-way center using a very good coaxial driver. It is very likely a good center speaker. My guess is that it measures better and is more accurate than any of the centers you recommended except for the Paradigm Premier center.
Who's talking about center channels you've gone way off base I'm talking about bookshelves and floorstanders nobody said anything about center channels

And there's absolutely nothing special about the KEF Hard Dome Aluminum tweeter

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Who's talking about center channels you've gone way off base I'm talking about bookshelves and floorstanders nobody said anything about center channels

And there's absolutely nothing special about the KEF Hard Dome Aluminum tweeter
You are right, for some reason I thought the Q650C was being discussed which is the center. That doesn't change my point too much though. The speaker doesn't look bad. I don't know why you think it is so much worse than other suggestions here.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I put the sound quality and this tweeter on these against those KEF's for less money

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
The crossover parts don't have to be fancy, they just have to do their job. How well they do their job can be verified with measurements. It would be dumb to use expensive parts when cheap parts will do just as well. It would be a testament to the loudspeaker design if it can perform so well without needing an overbuilt crossover. That means the driver is intrinsically good and doesn't need much correction in the crossover circuit, and the cabinet and driver layout is sensibly arranged, so it doesn't need to be compensated for in the crossover either.
Sandcast resistor can get the job done...and you can measure it.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Any bookshelves recommendations?
The main issue with towers is that I will not be able to place them properly when bookshelves are easily manageable.
Try the Klipsch 600M bookshelf ... they may float your boat

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis