Sony UBP-X800M2 - Troubleshooting Hard Wire Connection

M

Mahalo

Audiophyte
I am attempting to hard wire the UBP-X800M2 to my NetGear router. I am using the same cable that I previously used for my Pioneer Blu-ray player. However, when I attempt, using the Sony menu systems, to hard wire connect the Sony, I get an error message that it cannot be connected.

So, white scratching my head, I am also attempting to isolate or define the problem. And, so far:

1. The cable no longer works. Low probability because the Pio player had worked fine minutes before.​
2. The Sony is an UHD player and the Pio was not. So, the current cable is not compatible with the Sony.​
BTW. The Sony works fine when playing discs.

Any additional input would be appreciated.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Unplug the ethernet cable at both ends. Restart the router and then plug it in and see if that works.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Your problem is strange to me. Please report when you resolve the issue. My OPPO was connected via wi-fi to network but this morning I switched to the wired connection just for grins and giggles but I did discover that is not possible to have both wired and wireless both active, it's one or the other. This makes me think you might want to go into the Sony menu and be sure your Network setting is on wired rather than wireless.

Last edited:
M

Mahalo

Audiophyte
Unplug the ethernet cable at both ends. Restart the router and then plug it in and see if that works.
Thanks for your reply. I did do that. In fact I am anal enough that I did it twice. But the first time it was on the weekend and the second time it was during the week. I am sure that made a difference. NOT!;)

M

Mahalo

Audiophyte
Your problem is strange to me. Please report when you resolve the issue. My OPPO was connected via wi-fi to network but this morning I switched to the wired connection just for grins and giggles but I did discover that is not possible to have both wired and wireless both active, it's one or the other. This makes me think you might want to go into the Sony menu and be sure your Network setting is on wired rather than wireless.

That is a thought. I hadn't thought of that. Will give a try.

M

Mahalo

Audiophyte
On Item 1 in my original post. I know it is a bit of a rhetorical question but I do wonder if the cable could have just gone bad. I say 'rhetorical' because I have had phone cables go bad, HDMI cables go kaput. So, yeah, I guess the cable could have just died.

I did come up with a troubleshooting idea to test Item 1's theory, i.e., a bad or dead cable. And that is to re-connect the Pio player that it had been connected to previously. I just need to find where I put the Pio player.

On Item 2, I was hoping someone might have read my post that had the same, or a similar Sony player. And, that they had replaced a prior non UHD player with the Sony and there was no problem.

I had a similar situation wherein I hooked up a different Pio player, an UHD disc spinner and the HDMI cables that had worked in the prior, non UHD unit would not work.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I’ve never had an error message from my UBP-X800. Using an ethernet cable, I’ve never had to fuss with network setup because it just worked when plugged in. This has been the case with an Oppo blu-ray player and Toshiba HD DVD player as well. Go into the Sony Setup menu and then to Network settings. First item on the list is Internet Settings. Start there to set up your wired connection.

M

Mahalo

Audiophyte
I’ve never had an error message from my UBP-X800. Using an ethernet cable, I’ve never had to fuss with network setup because it just worked when plugged in. This has been the case with an Oppo blu-ray player and Toshiba HD DVD player as well. Go into the Sony Setup menu and then to Network settings. First item on the list is Internet Settings. Start there to set up your wired connection.
Thanks for your response. And you are getting close to the input that I am seeking. Now, follow me on this:

1. You had an Oppo Blu-ray player
2. Did you have the Oppo Blu-ray player "hard wired" to your router?

If the answer is yes, Then --

3. Is your Sony UBP-X800 "hard wired" to your router

4. Is your Sony UBP-X800 "hard wired" to your router using THE EXACT SAME cable?

5. Please confirm that -- using THE EXACT SAME cable that you previously used for the Oppo Blu-ray player, that is now connected to your Sony UBP-X800 -- you are able to access the router, and therefore the internet, to use the streamer apps on your Sony UBP-X800, and therefore pull up Netflix, etc.

Thank you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would the "same" ethernet cable be a particular consideration, tho?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
All of my devices are hardwired. In the spirit of the holiday season and in the name of science, lol, I swapped wires with the Oppo and also the Xbox and put them into the Sony. I made no network tests or setting changes. I simply swapped wires and started streaming Netflix and it worked just like it should work. I switched everything back and all is still good and Netflix comes right up on the Sony. I hope you can get to the bottom of your problem.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have the same Sony player and I never had an issue with hard wire. Cat 6 Ethernet cable to 19" hub, to Ethernet patch bay, to Netgear Orbi Mesh. There was never an issue. So you have made a set up error or your unit is faulty. For current equipment Cat 6 is optimal and not Cat 5. So may be your installation is out of date.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
All of my devices are hardwired. In the spirit of the holiday season and in the name of science, lol, I swapped wires with the Oppo and also the Xbox and put them into the Sony. I made no network tests or setting changes. I simply swapped wires and started streaming Netflix and it worked just like it should work. I switched everything back and all is still good and Netflix comes right up on the Sony. I hope you can get to the bottom of your problem.
That is the way to go, hard wire All Connections to your router or modem. The only thing I use to bug off my internet is my wireless cellphone.

EthicalEar

EthicalEar

Junior Audioholic
I also have the Same UBP-X800M2. Hard wired. No problems accessing internet apps. I would check your cable and your router. Also, as previously stated, turn off the wireless connection on the Blu Ray player.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for your reply. I did do that. In fact I am anal enough that I did it twice. But the first time it was on the weekend and the second time it was during the week. I am sure that made a difference. NOT!;)
It should have. ;) :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis