Best Powered Subwoofers Under $1,500 for 2021

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Subwoofers in the $1,500 price range are by no means the highest-end subwoofers that can be had, you can get a pretty darn good sub for that kind of scratch. Features, performance, and appearance can all take a big step up from the sub-$1k subwoofers, and in some cases a huge step up depending on the particular sub. Audioholics decided to compile a list of some of the best subs in this price range for those who want to know what are top choices would be. Each subwoofer mentioned here has its own strengths, and none of them have any real weaknesses. We will try to briefly explain what is so special about each sub to make this list. Read on to find out which subs made our cut...

READ: Best Powered Subwoofers Under $1,500 for 2021

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, Shady, yes! :)
Of course the only thing better than buying one of these... or multiple smaller/less expensive subs...
Is buying two of these! :D

Still loving my X13s! :cool:

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Can't argue with anything on this list.
To me, the Monolith has to be the biggest surprise of them all. Honestly, who would have expected anything of this quality to come out of Monoprice?

As far as their appearance goes, I think most people once they get them unboxed, will actually like they way they look. Simply put, they just look Mean. You just know they are built for serious business.

Although I have owned SVS and also have an HSU ULS-15 that i enjoy. The two Monolith 10's I picked up, by far out surpassed my expectations for a 10' woofer. So when I decide to get another sub and Monoprice is doing one of their 20% off sales. There is no question i will be picking up the Monolith 15's.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Can't argue with anything on this list.
To me, the Monolith has to be the biggest surprise of them all. Honestly, who would have expected anything of this quality to come out of Monoprice?

As far as their appearance goes, I think most people once they get them unboxed, will actually like they way they look. Simply put, they just look Mean. You just know they are built for serious business.

Although I have owned SVS and also have an HSU ULS-15 that i enjoy. The two Monolith 10's I picked up, by far out surpassed my expectations for a 10' woofer. So when I decide to get another sub and Monoprice is doing one of their 20% off sales. There is no question i will be picking up the Monolith 15's.
You know that expression saying that someone's "eyes are bigger than their stomach" meaning that they can't eat as much as they thought they wanted to? There should be an expression in audio that goes your "ears aren't as strong as your back," meaning that you want a speaker or sub that you can't actually lift. If you want the Monolith 15", you will need a heavy-duty dolly or a strong friend along with a furniture moving strap. It's not a sub that can be lifted with one person and even two people wouldn't be able to move it up or down some stairs without shoulder strap lifting gear. However, if you get it in room, you can slide it on furniture sliders pretty easily without help.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You know that expression saying that someone's "eyes are bigger than their stomach" meaning that they can't eat as much as they thought they wanted to? There should be an expression in audio that goes your "ears aren't as strong as your back," meaning that you want a speaker or sub that you can't actually lift. If you want the Monolith 15", you will need a heavy-duty dolly or a strong friend along with a furniture moving strap. It's not a sub that can be lifted with one person and even two people wouldn't be able to move it up or down some stairs without shoulder strap lifting gear. However, if you get it in room, you can slide it on furniture sliders pretty easily without help.

Edit: FWIW, this dude had this built with a custom finish and is sliding it across his floor. SMDH #enema_nozzle

Last edited:
Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
So true.
But luckily, i have two young strapping boys ( 30 and 29 ) so got the moving part covered. LOL
Once a person gets them in and placed, i think it will pay off in the end.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It's nice to see that the 10 year old Rythmik is still keeping its ground in the performance arena. They did it right. That design doesn't owe them much any more.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Can't slide a custom finish on a carpet?
I could not imagine carrying anything this heavy up steps ....

This one is heavy too but all the top svs ones are super heavy af...

With a bicep injury not sure how I’ll ever move my 15” diy sub or my 70 pound plasma tv in my bedroom ....

the sub is light for a 15 but box is awkwardly large .. cannot build another diy it’s too hard and my one friend is never free . I’d rather get multiple small subs now .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic

Edit: FWIW, this dude had this built with a custom finish and is sliding it across his floor. SMDH #enema_nozzle
That's not the worst part of it. If you've seen any of his later videos, he didn't get to keep it very long. He makes up a few excuses for this or that reason of why he was switching to smaller subs, then one of his kids jump in and says " unh uh mom made you get rid of it " LMAO.
Then the dad says "well we kind of both agreed it was just to big" etc.

It was funny as hell.

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Dang, was hoping this article would contain controlled measurements using the CEA 2010 standard or similar, to objectively compare the performance of the listed subs.

Alas, no such data is present?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Dang, was hoping this article would contain controlled measurements using the CEA 2010 standard or similar, to objectively compare the performance of the listed subs.

Alas, no such data is present?
There is CEA-2010 data in the reviews for all these subs except for the Emotiva RS13. Given the design of the RS13, I wouldn't expect it to perform very differently than the Outlaw X13 except perhaps at the low end.

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Thanks. I did not see that.

Would be great to see that highlighted in the round up as well, since for many folks, that would be a first pass differentiating criteria.

R

reggieburris

Enthusiast
Subwoofers in the $1,500 price range are by no means the highest-end subwoofers that can be had, you can get a pretty darn good sub for that kind of scratch. Features, performance, and appearance can all take a big step up from the sub-$1k subwoofers, and in some cases a huge step up depending on the particular sub. Audioholics decided to compile a list of some of the best subs in this price range for those who want to know what are top choices would be. Each subwoofer mentioned here has its own strengths, and none of them have any real weaknesses. We will try to briefly explain what is so special about each sub to make this list. Read on to find out which subs made our cut...

READ: Best Powered Subwoofers Under $1,500 for 2021
I have the dual PB-3000s and dual Hsu ULS-15 MK2s. Both are hard hitting subs with the PB-3000s going deeper and playing louder as needed. However, my Hsu’s are unbelievable dynamos. They produce bass better than some ported subs and they are smooth. I have 3 sets of subs throughout my home, and the Hsu’s, which cost me $1639 shipped for duals are amazing. I love SVS for their sound, bluetooth connectivity, warranty and trade up program, which I have used twice, but I equally love Hsu for excellence at an unparalleled price. This is my favorite article and thanks Audioholics for your thorough reviews and unbiased articles.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I have the dual PB-3000s and dual Hsu ULS-15 MK2s. Both are hard hitting subs with the PB-3000s going deeper and playing louder as needed. However, my Hsu’s are unbelievable dynamos. They produce bass better than some ported subs and they are smooth. I have 3 sets of subs throughout my home, and the Hsu’s, which cost me $1639 shipped for duals are amazing. I love SVS for their sound, bluetooth connectivity, warranty and trade up program, which I have used twice, but I equally love Hsu for excellence at an unparalleled price. This is my favorite article and thanks Audioholics for your thorough reviews and unbiased articles.
How did you get hsu $200 off or so was the old price lower ??? Nice set ups
So not all sealed subs are wimpy !!! I here some people only suggest ported.

R

reggieburris

Enthusiast
The price I paid is below:
ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive in dualuls15mk2-sb 1 1499.00
Satin Black
(Shipped)
Fedex Tracking Number:

Subtotal 1499.00
Shipping 170.00
Tax 0.00
Discount -41.00