J

Jeff Johnson

Enthusiast
Does anyone have any experience with the Denon AVR-3803 2nd Zone. According to the manual, it appears that the 2nd zone can be set up to use a 2nd amplifier and use the Receiver as the volume control. I have done what the manual says to do (I think I'm reasonable techincally proficient), but to no avail. I can make it work but only with a fixed volume. The manual states that you can adjust it to variable but in the actual onscreen menu I am only given that option for surround back speakers and not for Zone 2. Is this an error in the manual or there some "secret" that I just don't get.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Jeff Johnson said:
Does anyone have any experience with the Denon AVR-3803 2nd Zone. According to the manual, it appears that the 2nd zone can be set up to use a 2nd amplifier and use the Receiver as the volume control. I have done what the manual says to do (I think I'm reasonable techincally proficient), but to no avail. I can make it work but only with a fixed volume. The manual states that you can adjust it to variable but in the actual onscreen menu I am only given that option for surround back speakers and not for Zone 2. Is this an error in the manual or there some "secret" that I just don't get.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
In the "System setup menu" there should be an option for "Zone 2 control," select this. In that menu look for "Zone 2 vol. level," select that. Mine gives the options of 0db, -40db, or variable. You probably have the -40db option selected, change this to variable.

Then make sure when you use your remote to press the "Zone 2" button to enable zone 2 volume changes.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

I forget to mention, you might have been in the wrong menu screen. I think you have been looking at the surround back in the channel level menu. Make sure you are in the Zone 2 submenu and you shoud be fine. It should be the 7th submenu listed when you are in the System setup menu.

J

Jeff Johnson

Enthusiast
Jack,
Thanks for the response. I am in the Zone 2 menu but it doesn't give me the option for adjusting the volume level. If I choose the surround back channel level, it does give me the option of changing volume level.
I don't know if it is just a software issue with my receiver. I am certain that I am following the directions. They are quite clear but I'm not given the option shown in the manual. It isn't the end of the world as I'm not sure it would be the quality of preamp that I want for my tube amp but it would have been nice to have had remote volume control.

Thanks again,

Jeff

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
This is just a guess as I am not familiar with the Denon menu system, but the fact that you say you can change the volume for the surround back channels might be a clue. On 7.1 receivers with zone2 capability, you often have the option of powering zone2 or using the pre-outs and an external amp.

If you can change the volume for the rear surround channels, perhaps you have the option to power zone2 enabled and you need to change it to the setting where the zone2 pre-out is enabled.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Jeff,

I looked at the owners manual for your reciever at denons website. You're right, it's laid out pretty simple on the bottom of page 27. If you are not seeing the same thing I would think it is one of two issues, the software is not right or you might actually have a different model. Just to be sure, make sure your unit has the right model number in the upper left corner of the front. (my old 2802 came with a 3803 manual, I had to have the store get the right one for me). If that's correct, make sure your menu is the same as the one in the manual (bottom of page 27).

If not try emailing Denon's tech support at: mailto:contactservice@denonnj.com
Or call them at: 800-497-8921 Option 2-6-2

You may have better luck by email, when I had to call them, I waited over an hour to get to someone.

AVR3803 Manual PDF

R

rlonghurst

Audiophyte
Hi,
I have a very similar problem.

I have had a Denon AVR-3803 amp for about 3 years and have been very happy with it. For the first time, I today tried to use the Zone 2 feature to output sound to another amp and speakers.

I followed the instructions in the manual but no sound comes through at all.

I have audio leads connected to the Zone 2 output and have tried them on Rec Out and VHS out too.

I have set the system to enable the remote to change the volume on Zone 2. The amp recognises that the volume has been changed, but no sound is forthcoming.

I've emailed Denon so will let you know what they say... Unless someone already has the answer?!

All the best for a happy 2008,
Richard

Duffinator

Duffinator

Hi,
I have a very similar problem.

I have had a Denon AVR-3803 amp for about 3 years and have been very happy with it. For the first time, I today tried to use the Zone 2 feature to output sound to another amp and speakers.

I followed the instructions in the manual but no sound comes through at all.

I have audio leads connected to the Zone 2 output and have tried them on Rec Out and VHS out too.

I have set the system to enable the remote to change the volume on Zone 2. The amp recognises that the volume has been changed, but no sound is forthcoming.

I've emailed Denon so will let you know what they say... Unless someone already has the answer?!

All the best for a happy 2008,
Richard
One of the tricky thinkgs you need to be aware of is that you cannot distrubute a digital signal to the second zone. For example if you have your DVD player connected via Coax or optical you will not get any sound. You can add stereo analog cables into the same input and that will solve the problem although that does not sound like the problem here. But double check that all the same.

G

Glyngore

Audiophyte
Denon Z2 and Z3

Hello i hope after all this time you find the solution.

but if not. you need to do a Firmware Update to have the Audio Digital converted for Zone 2 and Zone 3.

go in the Menu / Manual setup / Option / Firmware Update

Make sure you have a internet connection setup...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
You have some volume settings when you use the Zone 2 line out but not continuously variable, like when you use the speaker terminals. They set it this way for using Zone 2 as a distributed audio feed with volume controls being used for each area. It's a good receiver but this part is a PITA.

You could use a resistive network to drop the level of the Zone 2 speaker level output but the resistors need to be sized correctly because they will get hot. It really doesn't degrade the sound, either. I made one for a system I did that uses an AVR-987 (1907 equivalent) and tried it out with good results. Didn't end up using Zone 2 at all but it will work.

Last edited:
B

beemarine

Audiophyte
Denon 3808 Zone 2 no sound or low sound

If the volume control doesn't appear on the setup / Zone 2 Control, then use the other method explained on page 53 of the operating instructions.

1. Using the Denon remote select "Zone2" using the Amp button.

2. Press the Zone2 "On" button.

3. Press the input source button (eg. DBS, DVD, etc)

4. The output level (volume) of the Zone 2 Out Terminals can be controlled using the volume + and - buttons on the remote.

This only works if the sound is set to Variable in the Zone 2 Control.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis