extended power cord

T

Tminey8433

Audiophyte
Just purchased definitive technology 9080x tower speakers which comes with a 6ft power cord. Do they sell any replacement cords that are at least 10 ft long? Im trying to connect to my panamax but its on a shelf above my tv.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Just purchased definitive technology 9080x tower speakers which comes with a 6ft power cord. Do they sell any replacement cords that are at least 10 ft long? Im trying to connect to my panamax but its on a shelf above my tv.
I'm assuming that your tower speaker amps use an IEC power cord. I would just get two of these:

Last edited:
T

Tminey8433

Audiophyte
Thanks for the response. Looks like a I should have included some detail, the original cord looks more like this one.

Are these safe to use?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the response. Looks like a I should have included some detail, the original cord looks more like this one.

Are these safe to use?

Well, that power cord uses 18 gauge wires which I suspect might not be adequate for your tower speakers. I think you would need at lest a 16AWG size wire. As a matter of fact, I think that the item I recommended to you might fit with your speakers. Would you have by any chance any of those IEC cords at hand? If so, why don't you try it on one of your towers?

Otherwise, I suggest that you check with Digi-Key. They might have what you would need. You can chat with someone:

Last edited:
T

Tminey8433

Audiophyte
The item you recommended had a 3 prong on each end. The original only has 2. Would that be an issue?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The item you recommended had a 3 prong on each end. The original only has 2. Would that be an issue?
The IEC cord has 3 prongs at one end and 3 slots at the other, but if the pins in the speaker amp AC socket fit with the left and right slots of the 3-wire IEC cable, that should be OK to use it.

T

Tminey8433

Audiophyte
The IEC cord has 3 prongs at one end and 3 slots at the other, but if the pins in the speaker amp AC socket fit with the left and right slots of the 3-wire IEC cable, that should be OK to use it.
Thanks for the time and info.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
IEC cords come in a variety of configurations, it's just a set of standards....and the HQRP model specifies what connectors : Connectors: IEC C17 Type to NEMA 1-15P so if you search for such you should get some more choices to choose from but the HQRP looks viable, altho I didn't notice a UL certification which would be nice....

ps I wouldn't worry about the 18 gauge wire for that amp/length.....

Last edited:
Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
As Verdi said, the 3 prong will work just fine, your connection just wont be using the grounding pin.
You have probably already discovered the 2 prong plugs are getting fewer and fewer. They also don't seem to come in heavier gauges of wire that often. Like myself, I think you are guilty of overthinking it. Nothing wrong with asking though.

I have plenty of these and they are just fine. While the ad doesn't show UL listed, they actually are. Also you can get what length you need. These are heavy duty and wont cause any gear to stress.

Amazon.com: Monoprice 6ft 14AWG Power Cord Cable w/ 3 Conductor PC Power Connector Socket, 15A (NEMA 5-15P to IEC-320-C13) Black: Home Audio & Theater

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis