Radiance Pro Ultra HD Processor thoughts

E

Erod

Audioholic
Haha, I disagree with those "top people". The Lumagen won't be relevant in the next 5 years. Unless you're still rocking 1080p or 720p the rest of your life. Sorry, a new 4k projector with DCR lens will top the Lumagen. heck you might not even need the DCR lens.
You have a lot to learn. The Lumagen is heavily used with 4K and DCR lenses.

It's highly recommended with JVC projectors. I have the RS3000.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
You have a lot to learn. The Lumagen is heavily used with 4K and DCR lenses.

It's highly recommended with JVC projectors. I have the RS3000.

Sorry, people can spew out what they want, but there is just no way by adding both products to a projector that already has all the latest and greatest software, will improve the picture that much. What's going to happen once 8k projectors come out in the future? Is Lumagen going to make an 8k upconverter? People use Lumagens for changing aspect ratios and upconverting old content. Brand new Projectors have all the latest software to improve image quality. Adding a lumagen won't do squat. Unless you have some very special eyes and can see the most minuet differences.

E

Erod

Audioholic
Sorry, people can spew out what they want, but there is just no way by adding both products to a projector that already has all the latest and greatest software, will improve the picture that much. What's going to happen once 8k projectors come out in the future? Is Lumagen going to make an 8k upconverter? People use Lumagens for changing aspect ratios and upconverting old content. Brand new Projectors have all the latest software to improve image quality. Adding a lumagen won't do squat. Unless you have some very special eyes and can see the most minuet differences.
Sorry, but this software has been developed over 20 years. And Lumagens are known for the best tone mapping available by a mile.

The Lumagen software is VASTLY superior to the JVC projectors. Even JVC admits that. They strongly recommend the Lumagen. Every projector manufacturer recommends it.

In fact, even Hollywood is using Lumagens now for mastering their video.

Kris Deering sings its praises. You need to do some research.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Sorry, but this software has been developed over 20 years. And Lumagens are known for the best tone mapping available by a mile.

The Lumagen software is VASTLY superior to the JVC projectors. Even JVC admits that. They strongly recommend the Lumagen. Every projector manufacturer recommends it.

In fact, even Hollywood is using Lumagens now for mastering their video.

Kris Deering sings its praises. You need to do some research.
So what is the % increase in picture quality when adding a radiance pro to your latest gen NX7/NX9 or current gen Sony? $5k-$7k for a radiance pro for a less than 10% increase. Potentially?.....

At one point I was getting myself sold on these but did more research and watched videos of people that have them and it just didn't make sense to get one. The return on investment just isn't there. They will be out of business in less than 10 years.

E

Erod

Audioholic
So what is the % increase in picture quality when adding a radiance pro to your latest gen NX7/NX9 or current gen Sony? $5k-$7k for a radiance pro for a less than 10% increase. Potentially?.....

At one point I was getting myself sold on these but did more research and watched videos of people that have them and it just didn't make sense to get one. The return on investment just isn't there. They will be out of business in less than 10 years.
I agree, and that's certainly subjective and something each person has to decide for themselves. The good thing about Lumagen is that they continually upgrade their devices, so even if you bought one 5 years ago, you have the latest and greatest features today. They take care of you that way and don't expect you to keep buying devices. They actually seek out difficult scenes they find in movies and improve the firmware to send out in updates to their existing customers. Pretty cool.

The most common estimation you hear is that "it's not necessarily a night and day difference, but it's damn close." That means different things to different people.

In talking with Kris Deering, he said that nobody has figured out how to do scaling, clarity, color, and tone mapping anywhere near what Lumagen can do. They literally put others out of business (like Faroudja), and even MadVR is now really struggling to keep up with the advancements made by Lumagen.

Kris actually said that people should by the Lumagen, then get the best projector they can afford after that. He said a Lumagen can make a last generation projector look better than any of the current ones can look on their own.

It's cool that my new JVC can do frame by frame mapping and upconvert to 8K. But 8K is pointless really (and loud if at 60 fps), and the mapping it's doing, while good, just isn't what the Lumagen can do. And it's set and forget once you get it set up.

Sounds like their future plans involve the ability to do what it already does, but at 8K/16K/120 Hz/240 Hz and higher.

I just got my projector, and I'll be getting a Lumagen soon. The one I saw in action was impressive.

As far as being out of business in 10 years...who knows? All of these companies may well be out of business in 10 years. But I think the $5K divided over 10 years is a reasonable investment. Much like an amplifier or projection screen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis