Center channel speaker recommendation

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
My limited experience with speakers tells me a 3 way is better than a 2 way. When I bought the Sierra 2’s I was in a smaller place or I would have bought towers. It would seem to me that a 3 way center with a dedicated mid speaker in conjunction with a good tweeter would be optimum for dialogue. Am I wrong in this assumption?
In general this is true. Having a vertically aligned tweeter and mid helps to eliminate lobing from the speech bands that occurs in 2 way designs with a mid on either side of the tweeter. Edit: Audioholics has a good article about different center channel designs here: https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/center-channel-designs-1

Upon reading this thread I do have a question for you. You are currently sending your tv audio through your stereo setup, correct?

B

BoB/335

Junior Audioholic
In general this is true. Having a vertically aligned tweeter and mid helps to eliminate lobing from the speech bands that occurs in 2 way designs with a mid on either side of the tweeter. Edit: Audioholics has a good article about different center channel designs here: https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/center-channel-designs-1

Upon reading this thread I do have a question for you. You are currently sending your tv audio through your stereo setup, correct?

The stereo goes on with the tv. Signal goes to the AVR FIRST! Cable, dvd, firestick all go the the AVR. One HDMI to tv. Is this wrong? All these years???

B

BoB/335

Junior Audioholic
Why not a third Sierra2 ? That would be ideal I'd think as long as you have the room to stand it up (or rotate the tweeter and go on the side).
Since I am currently having difficulty hearing dialogue through my current Sierra 2’s (a full range design) this has me thinking that a more midrange center design would perform better. Is this wrong thinking because the Center Channel input would deliver what I need?

B

BoB/335

Junior Audioholic

Good article! Guess I really SHOULD consider another Sierra 2.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Since I am currently having difficulty hearing dialogue through my current Sierra 2’s (a full range design) this has me thinking that a more midrange center design would perform better. Is this wrong thinking because the Center Channel input would deliver what I need?
I wouldn't call the Sierra 2s full range myself (and do own Sierra-1 NrTs) but a center should be better than a phantom center, at least IME. I use a standing Sierra as center in my bedroom setup and have no issues with the three across the front....and have used these speakers in other rooms as well. I just prefer having a center, too.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I know at first you didn't want to spend the money but what's wrong with this?

B

BoB/335

Junior Audioholic
I know at first you didn't want to spend the money but what's wrong with this?

$1500 no problem at all!!!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
$1500 no problem at all!!!
I hear you but this Hobby like many other Hobbies are sometimes costly. But once the money is spent and many years of enjoyment begin. Then you'll forget about what you spent it happens all the time

B

BoB/335

Junior Audioholic
I hear you but this Hobby like many other Hobbies are sometimes costly. But once the money is spent and many years of enjoyment begin. Then you'll forget about what you spent it happens all the time

If we were BIG movie buffs and had a dedicated room I would pull out all the stops.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
If we were BIG movie buffs and had a dedicated room I would pull out all the stops.
When I first got in his Hobby I really wasn't a huge critical music listening buff and I really never sat down just a listen to Tunes. You know music was on in the car and you know I listen to music in bars and things like that. But I never really sat at home just to listen to music. Then I started getting involved with better speakers and headphones. Headphones probably was the big hook for me. Now I absolutely enjoy sitting back with my cans listening to Tunes for hours sometimes.
Even with speakers watching movies I'm amazed even still today at some of the things I hear. The sound effects that come through my system that I never heard before. Which just continues to add enjoyment years and years and years of enjoyment.

I'm trying to say is you may not be big movie buffs or music buffs now. But with the right gear and the right system you just might become one. :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I wouldn't call the Sierra 2s full range myself (and do own Sierra-1 NrTs) but a center should be better than a phantom center, at least IME. I use a standing Sierra as center in my bedroom setup and have no issues with the three across the front....and have used these speakers in other rooms as well. I just prefer having a center, too.
Might be better than phantom center, but not always. I don't use surround and the dialog sounds like it comes directly from the center of the TV- I have done this with AVRs, too- if the speakers are good for wide-range and especially the mid-bass, voices sound extremely life-like. In this case, it's life-like to the extent that I don't even think about it unless someone is asking or we're discussing it here. When panning, there is no hole in the middle.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might be better than phantom center, but not always. I don't use surround and the dialog sounds like it comes directly from the center of the TV- I have done this with AVRs, too- if the speakers are good for wide-range and especially the mid-bass, voices sound extremely life-like. In this case, it's life-like to the extent that I don't even think about it unless someone is asking or we're discussing it here. When panning, there is no hole in the middle.
It can work, but I find a center works more often in more circumstances for me, even if I'm the only listener....as I said IME. YMMV.

highfigh

highfigh

It can work, but I find a center works more often in more circumstances for me, even if I'm the only listener....as I said IME. YMMV.
The big problem is that a horizontal center channel is a major compromise and isn't the best way to achieve best sound but then, the middle of most cabinets can't house a vertically oriented center channel, nor are many high enough. If someone has the freedom to use the same model throughout, it's a good bet that the sound will be much better than using in-wall or a horizontal center channel. I will say, though- as much as I have been disappointed by so many in-ceiling speakers, the Dynaudio speakers I installed sounded far better than any others I have heard. I know Triad makes excellent speakers, too- they'll also custom-build, based on the application.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The big problem is that a horizontal center channel is a major compromise and isn't the best way to achieve best sound but then, the middle of most cabinets can't house a vertically oriented center channel, nor are many high enough. If someone has the freedom to use the same model throughout, it's a good bet that the sound will be much better than using in-wall or a horizontal center channel. I will say, though- as much as I have been disappointed by so many in-ceiling speakers, the Dynaudio speakers I installed sounded far better than any others I have heard. I know Triad makes excellent speakers, too- they'll also custom-build, based on the application.
One of my setups uses the same speaker across the front, vertically, the others horizontal style.

highfigh

highfigh

One of my setups uses the same speaker across the front, vertically, the others horizontal style.
From the side, it's just not as important because we don't perceive location quite as accurately- three across the front is great and I installed a 7.1 FROX system at the place where I worked, using Canton speakers (don't remember the model- it was 1993).

Barry Chapelle

Barry Chapelle

Audiophyte
I have a pair of Ascend Sierra 2 with ribbon tweeter and a Rythmik L12 sub for a stereo setup for music and use this for everyday tv watching and movie viewing. Getting older I have a hard time hearing dialogue sometimes and find myself rewinding alot of using Closed Caption which I HATE!

Looking for a Center Channel speaker to enhance this setup without spending $1600 on an Ascend Center or another Sierra 2 for Center. Looking at SVS Ultra and Emotiva C2. Any opinions on these or others that would help me hear dialogue without rewinding?
I have a Polk Signature series S35.
It’s a dedicated centre channel speaker. Before getting the S35 I had a hard time with understanding words in movies and music DVDs. Not anymore.. it’s simply the best centre channel I’ve owned. It’s perfectly clear even at high high volume if you know what I mean. I’ve a Denon x4300H receiver + a two channel power amp running 11 speakers in Aura 3d.mode Its I in a 15’x15’ theatre room and I run that receiver to the max and I’m impressed how easily the s35 speaker handles it..I recommend you try it out

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis