Center Channel for BMRs?

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Any suggestions for a center channel speaker to go with a pair of the new BMRs?

Due to space constraints a third BMR will not work. I need a more traditional center.

On paper the Salk SongCenter RT looks like a good speaker but I haven’t found any comments on AH about it.

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
Any suggestions for a center channel speaker to go with a pair of the new BMRs?

Due to space constraints a third BMR will not work. I need a more traditional center.

On paper the Salk SongCenter RT looks like a good speaker but I haven’t found any comments on AH about it.
What is the nature of our constraint? Height? Width? Will a 3rd BMR on its side with the tweeter rotated not work? It would only be 8" high.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Though I still have the BMR with rotated tweeter, I did replace it in my rig with an upright BMR.

There is no discernible difference in performance.

Regarding the Song Center RT, I met a guy who had this in his rig and loved it. He was using it with Phil 3s. The voicing of all these speakers is largely the same, but if you can do another BMR on its side, I think that's best. :)

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
So you've sold all the Minis and nearly all of the BMRs? Was it 100 pairs of each or 100 total? Either way, congratulations!

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
So you've sold all the Minis and nearly all of the BMRs? Was it 100 pairs of each or 100 total? Either way, congratulations!
Nowhere near that many. We just piggybacked on an order that was going to Taiwan. The next order of BMR's should arrive early March, along with some (but not many) of the new BMR towers. We'll have a few piano black and gloss white BMR's this time. About a month before that, I'll have lots of AA+ kits to unload. If we ever order more Mini's, they'll have smaller cabinets.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Oh, I see. But I'll still say congratulations for selling however many you had! :)
And I'm glad to hear more are coming.

Regarding future Minis, how much smaller cabinet? Smaller in what ways? And how would that impact their bass response?

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
As for the OP's question, didn't Dennis once mention the NHT C-LCR as a decent center channel to match the BMRs? I have a C-LCR and think it's pretty good. They're sometimes been on Amazon for $280, though I think they're $380 each right now.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
What is the nature of our constraint? Height? Width? Will a 3rd BMR on its side with the tweeter rotated not work? It would only be 8" high.
Height is the main issue. I have a JBL 520C right now. It’s mounted to a Monoprice pull down TV bracket via a home made bracket I welded up so it moves with the TV. Width is not an issue. The easiest solution would be a center that is no higher or deeper than the 520c but that’s a pretty severe limitation.

Depth is also a potential issue because the front of the 520c sticks out about 2 inches past the front of the TV. This is primarily an aesthetics issue.

I may need to scrap the bracket and mount a center channel above the TV. Height would still be limited but I could modify the cabinet to accept a deeper speaker.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis