SVS PB-2000 Pro 12-inch Subwoofer Objective Review

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Up for test is the SVS PB-2000 Pro Subwoofer. Details can be found at the manufacturer's page (here).

The video linked below covers my thoughts so please watch that.

In this video I break down the features and discuss the objective performance of the SVS PB-2000 Pro. I have taken the liberty to provide an overlay of a comparison against the Monoprice Monolith THX 12 (in ported mode, THX EQ) because I have gotten many questions regarding how the two compare. In a nutshell, the two are pretty closely matched with the edge going toward the Monolith in terms of response linearity and max SPL per the CEA-2010-A/B standards. However, the SVS provides built-in Bluetooth connection for settings controls in addition to those found on the back. Additionally, with the BT app you can also access 3 bands of P-EQ which, IMHO, is a notable feature and may be a deciding factor for some.

You can find the CEA-2010 test results spreadsheet here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18bz7z-xIlRJsC-bw6k4mHkuwv_uiGAMyEhgrTkjwdXc/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if you have any questions.

- Erin

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Monolith looking better and better. Enclosure is built like a tank.
Thanks for posting.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Monolith looking better and better. Enclosure is built like a tank.
Thanks for posting.
OMG, yes, it is built like a tank. Nearly killed myself lugging those Monoprice subs out to the test site. That's the difference in HDF vs MDF.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Maybe @shadyJ need to up his game! Video reviews!!!!!
If I had my choice, that's the only way I would do reviews. But the data sometimes needs written words around them to explain things. Subwoofer reviews are easy to do that style but with loudspeaker reviews I still have to write up the article on my site. It's a royal PITA. At some point, though, I may stop writing articles altogether. I've been keeping an eye on analytics and will make the call if the YT channel ever gets past 10k. I know I for sure reach more younger people that way and it's the only way I, personally, consume reviews anymore. I use the written articles for the data but I blow right past the words in nearly every-single review. And if I, someone who knows how much of a struggle it is to write these things, still have no interest in reading them then I'm quite sure there are many others who feel the same way.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for such a great review and especially for putting the Monolith and the SVS in context with one another.
I am a little curious what he SVS app brings to the table. Does it offer any attempt at AutoEQ to compensate for room modes or does it require that the owner use his own means (most often, REW) to evaluate the proper parameters to set for the 3 PEQ's?
With SVS's presence in the market through retailers like BestBuy, I would expect they would attempt to provide a simple method of eliminated the most egregious problems to result in better sound quality/customer satisfaction.
The cynic in me considers that, by providing the means to correct any likely issue, SVS is compromising a user's ability to complain about the response if they do not take the time to get measurements to properly use the PEQ.

Maybe I am unique in this, but I feel like there are a fair number of pretty great subs available, if you are willing to spend a bit. What seems most important to me is to establish how the sub can be adjusted to integrate it into the room acoustics. If the buyer has REW/miniDSP, it is a moot point, and the new app for Audyssey that allows you to pick the frequency range to target only room effects is a pretty good option.
However, for the person trying to add a sub to a traditional stereo system, I feel it is the adjustments of the sub that makes a bigger difference than the outright performance (among capable subs like SVS, HSU, PSA, Rythmik, Monolith, and Outlaw). Although I have never heard one, I am a fan of the simple adjustments that HSU offers through port-plugs, EQ switches, and Q setting! Same goes for Outlaw and Rythmik for their "tunability".
SVS's 3 band PEQ is a powerful tool for control, but really needs measurements at the LP for proper adjustment. At least that is my current hallucination.
Thoughts? Am I just plain wrong on this?
Part of my concern is - what level of competence/technical enthusiasm should a user have before he attempts to add a sub and to what degree should he be willing to disrupt his current system (if it does not include something like Audyssey with app, Dirac, etc).
It is not uncommon for Old-school Stereo guys to swear off subs as an abomination against quality sound, my theory is that it is the lack of understanding of how to eliminate room effects that makes for their bad experiences. That was certainly my experience with my first "real" subs.
Thanks!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If I had my choice, that's the only way I would do reviews. But the data sometimes needs written words around them to explain things. Subwoofer reviews are easy to do that style but with loudspeaker reviews I still have to write up the article on my site. It's a royal PITA. At some point, though, I may stop writing articles altogether. I've been keeping an eye on analytics and will make the call if the YT channel ever gets past 10k. I know I for sure reach more younger people that way and it's the only way I, personally, consume reviews anymore. I use the written articles for the data but I blow right past the words in nearly every-single review. And if I, someone who knows how much of a struggle it is to write these things, still has no interest in reading them then I'm quite sure there are many others who feel the same way.
I can appreciate this. We used to own a store and one of my jobs was to create and publish the regular monthly emails, and all sales promotions. Royal PITA...
While I do appreciate video reviews, I’ve found that far too many people do them that don’t know what the h3ll their talking about. Imo that’s a huge disservice. Because then people end up here(or wherever) asking what to do cause “this guy on YouTube said to...”
Videos are also time you can’t get back, and the only way to know if someone is credible is to watch. I also don’t want those guys popping up in my feed for the next six weeks LOL!!!
Reaching the younger ones...that’s a tough one for me. As much as I love videos, I also love to read words. And yeah, data just needs certain platforms.
Anyways, nice work.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I'm still trying to figure out the Dip on Erin's FR chart vs. Shady's (Audioholics review)

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
OMG, yes, it is built like a tank. Nearly killed myself lugging those Monoprice subs out to the test site. That's the difference in HDF vs MDF.
Erin, love your videos and the pain staking time you take to actually get detailed measurements and then post the graphs of your findings in your videos. That is why you are one of the few i trust when watching these comparison youtube videos.
I know this was a review of the SVS, but since you included the Monolith stat's along with the SVS, could i ask you a couple questions ? Your opinions, and product testing are very much appreciated.

1) Some people have complained about odd noises from the Monolith. Did you hear anything out of the ordinary that would cause you any concern ?
2) There have been some complaints about the power auto on/off switch. Did you notice any issues with that ?

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
shape of the curve is a bit different, too. Notice his shows more of a bump on the low end before rolling off which effects how the dip appears. Mine doesn’t have that bump. And then the manufacturer data shows a more linear response kind of between mine and James’. But doesn’t show a dip like we do.

Then if you look at the delta between 20Hz and 10Hz both mine and SVS’ data show about a 27dB difference. Where James’ is 35dB between those two frequencies.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I may be a dinosaur, but I like reading prose and seeing data with written explanations. I can’t sit through videos. I also like to refer back to earlier sections in complex reviews, which is less convenient with a video.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Erin, love your videos and the pain staking time you take to actually get detailed measurements and then post the graphs of your findings in your videos. That is why you are one of the few i trust when watching these comparison youtube videos.
I know this was a review of the SVS, but since you included the Monolith stat's along with the SVS, could i ask you a couple questions ? Your opinions, and product testing are very much appreciated.

1) Some people have complained about odd noises from the Monolith. Did you hear anything out of the ordinary that would cause you any concern ?
2) There have been some complaints about the power auto on/off switch. Did you notice any issues with that ?
thanks! I was trying to keep the comparison to a minimum but I have already had many people ask me to test the SVS after I reviewed the Monoliths. I was just trying to get ahead. And since they are roughly the same price and size it’s natural people will want to know how the compare.

To answer your questions:
1) None at all. Even with very long sweeps.
2) I did not have any issues at all, really. I only had the subwoofers long enough to test so I didn’t live with them for longer than a couple months. But while I had them I never experienced any issues.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
I may be a dinosaur, but I like reading prose and seeing data with written explanations. I can’t sit through videos. I also like to refer back to earlier sections in complex reviews, which is less convenient with a video.
I get it. Ideally I could provide everything to everyone. But reviewing speakers and then providing the content is a major time sink in every facet. I have to draw the line somewhere.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
thanks! I was trying to keep the comparison to a minimum but I have already had many people ask me to test the SVS after I reviewed the Monoliths. I was just trying to get ahead. And since they are roughly the same price and size it’s natural people will want to know how the compare.

To answer your questions:
1) None at all. Even with very long sweeps.
2) I did not have any issues at all, really. I only had the subwoofers long enough to test so I didn’t live with them for longer than a couple months. But while I had them I never experienced any issues.
Thanks for the reply. Also that's good to hear. Trying to do research for someone else can be a pain, so im trying to get all the useful info from individuals i trust, that i can. Thanks to your review and some other publishing's i have read, i will tell my boy to go ahead and pull the trigger on the Monolith if he is still on the fence.
However, after all of the good results the Monolith has been showing, I may have to go ahead and get one for myself.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I get it. Ideally I could provide everything to everyone. But reviewing speakers and then providing the content is a major time sink in every facet. I have to draw the line somewhere.
I prefer written reviews myself, but I completely understand your dilemma. They take a ton of time to do well, and written reviews don't get as much attention as youtube these days. It's a lot of effort for much less of a return. I do hope you can still keep the written reviews up though, even if you have to scale them down. Something else to consider is that you are at Youtube's mercy as a host for your video content, and that has bitten some content creators back when they have said something that someone else doesn't like. You know, like a negative review. Youtube is pretty quick to take down content after a complaint, whether that complaint is valid or not.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
I prefer written reviews myself, but I completely understand your dilemma. They take a ton of time to do well, and written reviews don't get as much attention as youtube these days. It's a lot of effort for much less of a return. I do hope you can still keep the written reviews up though, even if you have to scale them down. Something else to consider is that you are at Youtube's mercy as a host for your video content, and that has bitten some content creators back when they have said something that someone else doesn't like. You know, like a negative review. Youtube is pretty quick to take down content after a complaint, whether that complaint is valid or not.
Good points. I imagine I’ll continue to write the reviews for speakers. May just strip them down as you said. When I started the site and channel the idea was to have the site as the repository for the data. I never intended it to be a full fledged written review. But that’s what they turned in to. Now I spend numerous hour doing both. And this is just a hobby so it’s on top of my day job and family time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis