Help me pick my 1st Power Amp.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Finally decided to go separates and get a power amp to drive front stage in my 5.1ch home theater. My speakers are Ascend Sierra-1NrT and currently powered by the Denon 4311ci. I crossover them with a Rythmik F12 subwoofer at 100hz right now.

Looking at a few models. Hope folks here can advise.
1. Marantz MM7025
2. Parasound Halo A23 (can get for $600)
3. Parasound HCA 1500A (can get for $375)
4. Krell kav 250a 3 channel ($1,300)
After I power the L/R, next step will be to get a 1ch or 2ch and power the center speaker, but I figure if I free up the load of the 2 channels, more power from Receiver will go to center.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While I have those speakers and have used a power amp with them, I don't currently and use a less powerful avr than your 4311 currently (but have used a 4520 with them before). I simply don't listen loud enough to justify additional amps in that system, plus its a relatively small room. Any particular reason you need more power?

That said, I wouldn't bother with the Marantz as it's fairly close to what your avr already has. The used amps I'd just figure on best dollar/watt ration among them, altho the Krell just may have better resale if that matters. I wouldn't get crazy with power with these speakers, they're really not spl monsters.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
While I have those speakers and have used a power amp with them, I don't currently and use a less powerful avr than your 4311 currently (but have used a 4520 with them before). I simply don't listen loud enough to justify additional amps in that system, plus its a relatively small room. Any particular reason you need more power?

That said, I wouldn't bother with the Marantz as it's fairly close to what your avr already has. The used amps I'd just figure on best dollar/watt ration among them, altho the Krell just may have better resale if that matters. I wouldn't get crazy with power with these speakers, they're really not spl monsters.
thanks ... not sure what I am missing. I thought an AMP would get them to sound even better. Did you hear a difference when you switched between amps and no amp? Guess the answer is no?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
thanks ... not sure what I am missing. I thought an AMP would get them to sound even better. Did you hear a difference when you switched between amps and no amp? Guess the answer is no?
Not in my experience and I've used several amps with them....just more capability is all. Which is really how it should be, an amp should merely amplify, not change characteristics of the sound. Better speakers and/or room treatment would be the avenue to better sound quality (but these are good speakers, don't get me wrong). Some guys get excited thinking about all those watts I suppose :).

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Not in my experience and I've used several amps with them....just more capability is all. Which is really how it should be, an amp should merely amplify, not change characteristics of the sound. Better speakers and/or room treatment would be the avenue to better sound quality (but these are good speakers, don't get me wrong). Some guys get excited thinking about all those watts I suppose :).
yep, room treatment is huge. up a few panels and dialog as well as other things was improved.
same movie on a friend's set up with all bare walls just was a huge difference with absolutely no "intimate like" sound from the dialog.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Finally decided to go separate...powered by the Denon 4311ci.
Well, technically, the amp would be a "separate", but the 4311 is still an AVR no matter how many amps you add. :D

If you want to finally go ALL SEPARATE, then you're gonna have to get an AVP. :cool:

Just saying. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you want to finally go ALL SEPARATE, then you're gonna have to get an AVP. :cool:

Just saying. :D
An AVP is not exactly a separate component either, if has the power supplies, preamp, processor, DAC.... etc., all jammed inside one box, just for argument sake..;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just a matter of how separate you want it.....some put too much value in "separates" I think.
Just a matter of doing things the way we want.

I don't know if it's "value".

Do people really need the external amp? The amps inside most AVR (like the 4311) can power most speakers easily. Why do they put that much “value” into getting a “separate“ amp?

So if they put that much value into “separates“, then why not AVP?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
An AVP is not exactly a separate component either, if has the power supplies, preamp, processor, DAC.... etc., all jammed inside one box, just for argument sake..;)
Since they don't make a separate PROCESSOR just for Atmos/DTSX, an AVP is as separate as you can get for HT.

Most audiophiles consider AVP a "separate".

But absolutely NOBODY considers a AVR as a "separate", especially when you throw in 11Ch or 13Ch of amps inside the same chassis.

Now if they started making a separate standalone processor for Atmos/DTSX, I would get that and use separate Preamps and Amps. :cool:

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Since they don't make a separate PROCESSOR just for Atmos/DTSX, an AVP is as separate as you can get for HT.

But absolutely NOBODY considers a AVR as a "separate", especially when you throw in 11Ch or 13Ch of amps inside the same chassis.

Now if they started making a separate standalone processor for Atmos/DTSX, I would get that and use separate Preamps and Amps. :cool:

When the time comes, be sure to get a separate power supply too, preferably one that comes in at least two boxes, one for the transformer (s), the other for the caps, rectifiers and everything else.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Finally decided to go separates and get a power amp to drive front stage in my 5.1ch home theater. My speakers are Ascend Sierra-1NrT and currently powered by the Denon 4311ci. I crossover them with a Rythmik F12 subwoofer at 100hz right now.

Looking at a few models. Hope folks here can advise.
1. Marantz MM7025
2. Parasound Halo A23 (can get for $600)
3. Parasound HCA 1500A (can get for $375)
4. Krell kav 250a 3 channel ($1,300)
After I power the L/R, next step will be to get a 1ch or 2ch and power the center speaker, but I figure if I free up the load of the 2 channels, more power from Receiver will go to center.
I would wait for the vaccine for the 2020 HDMI2.1/8K bugs, that probably won't be ready until 2021.:D Then go for the AVR-X3800H or X4800H, or the X3700/4700H but only if heavily discounted and the bugs somehow got fixed via firmware (may not be possible) update(s). In the mean time, you can afford to wait, so keep an eye on the Outlaw M2220 buy 2 get 1 free for your full front row speakers. As mentioned, the MM7025 is nice, but won't offer any more than the 4311 that is a powerful AVR.

Yes the AVP/Cs are more separate than an AVR in preamp mode but its not worth it because none of the current Marantz AVP measured as good as the Denon AVRs, while costing much more, let alone needing more money to get a 5 channel power amp. The AVR's internal amps should be adequate for the surround channels.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

Dang, that's all for your PC speakers? Minecraft must sound awesome!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can only imagine. Subwoofers in your shower and under the toilet. At least 7 speakers for true Bathroom surround sound. They call it Dolby Shatmos.
Haha. LMAO. :D

No, but seriously. AVRS will have better THD than some of those high-end "separates" AVP's you want. So you should just get an AVR and be done it with. Will save you thousands. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis