External Amp Connection

M

mia666

Enthusiast
I have a Denon avr 3806 with pre/outs. I want to buy a Emotiva amp to drive the front left, right and center. Everyone says the you just hook up the red and white audio cables from the back of Denon to the Emotiva. The question is can i use the rca cables i have...red to right..white to left and yellow to center? If these cables will work would the component cables..red, green and blue also work? Hope that this is not to dumb a question...using the yellow cable seems to be what i am curious about....Thanks

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, and you can use whatever color for whatever channel....just be consistent. Some rca cables have less shielding than others....if that's even an issue at the short lengths most use for pre-out to amp.. The component cables (red/blue/green) might be better than the composite cables....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Denon avr 3806 with pre/outs. I want to buy a Emotiva amp to drive the front left, right and center. Everyone says the you just hook up the red and white audio cables from the back of Denon to the Emotiva. The question is can i use the rca cables i have...red to right..white to left and yellow to center? If these cables will work would the component cables..red, green and blue also work? Hope that this is not to dumb a question...using the yellow cable seems to be what i am curious about....Thanks
You can, but I would have a spare set of cables handy just in case- I used a set of the molded end type of cables when I connected my first DVD player and it was the first time I hated the sound from a piece of equipment. I actually thought about returning it and at first, I tried different inputs on my amp before considering using the cables from something else. I didn't believe that cables made a difference, but when I used the other set, I found that the DVD player and DVD weren't at fault. I'm only convinced that the cheap cables had a problem, not that the set I had assembled were exceptional.

The yellow cable is normally used for composite video, as it would be when connecting a VCR or a lower level DVD player, TV tuner, etc. It should work fine and I have used that kind of cable very often. If yours have been used for many pieces of equipment and connected/disconnected repeatedly, they may have been stressed, especially if they're extremely thin. That's the reason I would consider having a spare set. You don't need to spend much and I would avoid Monster Cables- they have a long history of damaging RCA and 1/4" jacks (on guitar amps).

M

mia666

Enthusiast
I have a good set of component (red,green,blue) I will use them as they are a nice and neat set.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I have Totem Rainmakers for the front left and right, also Rainmaker center and a Totem Lighting Sub. I am thinking of getting the Emotiva 3 gen 3.
That's a lot of power for those speakers

M

mia666

Enthusiast
I was just thinking more power would drive them easier, and sound better without cranking the volume. I am just getting info on how to hook up an amp and what amp to get, if any....Thanks

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
If I'm correct those speakers take max power like 125 to 150 and you want to throw 400+ at them.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Even Stereophile while reviewing the Rainmakers only used a hundred watt amp to drive them

M

mia666

Enthusiast
Clarify your statement what's 200 a channel the amp or the speakers
The 200 was for the amp. I am still deciding which amp i want if any. I was mostly trying to find out which cables to use if i did get an amp.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The 200 was for the amp.
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong amp but I don't see 200 this is what I see

Power output:
275 watts/channel RMS into 8 Ohms; all channels driven
300 watts/channel RMS into 8 Ohms; two channels driven
490 watts/channel RMS into 4 Ohms; two channels driven

M

mia666

Enthusiast
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong amp but I don't see 200 this is what I see

Power output:
275 watts/channel RMS into 8 Ohms; all channels driven
300 watts/channel RMS into 8 Ohms; two channels driven
490 watts/channel RMS into 4 Ohms; two channels driven

That is the amp..maybe i will just stay with my Denon and save some money. I was always under the mind set, more power the better..lol

M

mia666

Enthusiast
Corrected
Oh, i see what you did...if my denon is 130 watts a channel and i am suppose to double that to notice a difference, which amp would you go with. I am in Canada a shipping gets expensive..thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis