Canton SL center channel?

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Hey all. I was planning to order the Canton Chrono Sl 526.2 from a4l, but I see they have no matching center channel in stock, nor are they planning on getting more. The 505.2 is not a suitable match correct?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hey all. I was planning to order the Canton Chrono Sl 526.2 from a4l, but I see they have no matching center channel in stock, nor are they planning on getting more. The 505.2 is not a suitable match correct?
If it’s in the Chronos series should do fine.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What speakers are you trying to match the center with?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Canton Chrono Sl 526.2,
DOH! :D

It wouldn't be horrible, but nor would it be optimal.
I would be comfortable going that route because I mostly listen to music in stereo and for the little TV/movies I watch, I am not so worried about a perfect timbral match. It is not like Canton would use a totally different sound signature, just not quite the same hardware.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Usually 556.2 center but not seeing it in stock at A4L.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Usually 556.2 center but not seeing it in stock at A4L.
Yeah I was looking for that or the sl 555.2. Hoping they will get some back in stock, but not optimistic with the news that canton is looking for other distributors.

KEW - this will mostly be used for HT purposes so the center will be carrying a heavy load. I would prefer a match. Sound Approach has it for about $1k, but hate to pay that when I know what it could have been. Plus, if I am spending that much, I would probably just invest in different speakers.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah I was looking for that or the sl 555.2. Hoping they will get some back in stock, but not optimistic with the news that canton is looking for other distributors.

KEW - this will mostly be used for HT purposes so the center will be carrying a heavy load. I would prefer a match. Sound Approach has it for about $1k, but hate to pay that when I know what it could have been. Plus, if I am spending that much, I would probably just invest in different speakers.
Maybe check ebay/Craigslist or buy a pair of their small bookshelf in the series and use as a center.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
How much height do you have for a center channel?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If you could go 3 across then 2 pairs of Chrono SL 526.2. I’m just unsure how far away you sit. I’d have more confidence in a 536.2 for a center with the larger driver.

My Vento 820.2 in my bedroom image well so I don’t use a center.

Sometimes I leave my Vento 836 in my TV room accidently in DSU center spread after listening to music then start watching movies and TV and that is fine too.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Thanks all for the thoughts. I considered doing that, but seems like a waste to have one unused speaker. Maybe I could resell it for someone else looking for a center. However, I was really looking into these Cantons because of the value and, if I can't get the bargains I was hoping for, probably will pass. I have been eyeing the Selah Anniversario (http://www.selahaudio.com/anniversario-kit) for a while, but wasn't sure I wanted another DIY project. I will probably end up going that route. Rick Craig is super easy to work with if you haven't checked out his stuff before! He has measured boxes and designed/assembled crossovers for me in the past.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Pulled the trigger last night. A4l has the 526.2 $100 off and I happened across a 555
2 on ebay as an open box for $500. Not sure I could find better value at $1000 for the front 3 speakers. I already have 4 canton on ceiling speakers and 2 surrounds in the atmos setup. Looking forward to adding these to it and trying things out!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis