What color do I choose for dedicated media room?

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
Dedicated media room 15' x19' x 10' (ceiling)

I understand the walls and ceilings (correct?) of media room have to be dark color.

We are considering these colors:

Sherwin Williams -Greenblack SW 6994
or
Black of night SW 6993

Will appreciate any recommendations in Sherwin Williams only.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Dedicated media room 15' x19' x 10' (ceiling)

I understand the walls and ceilings (correct?) of media room have to be dark color.

We are considering these colors:

Sherwin Williams -Greenblack SW 6994
or
Black of night SW 6993

Will appreciate any recommendations in Sherwin Williams only.
This all depends on what you intend.

My first point would be that a home cinema space is not equivalent to a commercial cinema. You do not spend hours and hours in a commercial cinema. A home cinema is part of your home and needs to be part of the aesthetic of your home. Most of us use our theaters for music only, movies, TV and many sources.

So if you make it dark, you have a pretty gloomy cavernous space, that is not enticing.

So my view is your theater should have a pleasing and relaxing presentation, including windows if possible. The latter need to have effective blinds though.

So the colors need to fit the aesthetic of the home and I council against creating a dungeon.

Now it is true older projectors did need a dark space, modern laser projectors have much greater brightness.

I personally do not use a projector, but a large OLED screen. I don't want the noise of projectors. In addition I don't want anything to detract form the audio, which to me is of paramount importance.

As I see it, your biggest problem is your very unfortunate room dimensions. You have no truly dominant room dimension and your dimension ratios are very unfortunate. So you are going to have room reflections that really summate, to cause bass nulls and voids. It is best if you can get the length about twice the width.

I understand that homes present a problem as you have to work with the space you have. If it is new construction you have more options and remodels can also present options.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis